Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat October 9 - October 21

Amazing day yesterday. Heard the Dalai Lama in person speak in Boston. His message is for an ethics of compassion whether one follows a religion or not, a belief system or not, or is theistic or not. Such a simple message of amazing power. His presence overwhelmed the room of 2400 people. All of us went through hours of security and waiting without complaint, chatting in line with strangers as if old friends. It was colorful audience with many Tibetans in their national dress.

I'm inspired for a week of eating simply.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Bill Yes the Dalai Lama has an amazing calmness to him. And a sense of humour too! I attended his seminar in Toronto a few years back. What a great leader and person. Totally inspiring.

I am in slow cooker mode this week - rainy cool weather and little time. My father is same old same old (disowned me to leave me "penniless" on Saturday visit) and DH is acting up too. I will strive for inner calm and enjoy my time with the dogs in the rain.

Mudpie is a welcome diversion too - she has now assumed the "comic relief" role in my life. Pets have such empathy for our feelings. I couldn't get through life without them!

Happy Monday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Bill~that is what this world needs--compassion. It's really sad how most, if not all, wars are because one religion thinks they have the better religion and decide to force the other religions out with violence and killing.

We went to see Argo yesterday. This movie is by far the best movie I've seen all year. I highly recommend it. Highly.

Sorry you've been disowned, Dagmar.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

*waves*

I've been following along, though not posting.

Got the last of the garden canned over the week end.

Like many of you I also have issues. Mostly for another day.

Right now, I'm outta here on the 10th of November, going to Lincoln to the Husker/Penn State game with my sisters, Fun! But my Mom, when she finds out will find a way to make it a kill joy, * deep sigh* which is why we won't tell her till we get back.

Then the holidays, and the "guilt" because we won't do what she wants. Oh, well, it is what it is. It's tough when you have a large extended family, we can't all be every where, everyone wants us to be.

On the good side, still maintaining! And still working out! Go ME!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #5  

janelle My DH and I stayed home for Christmas last year, just the two of us and the cats, for the first time in our 16 years together. I bought a cooked rotisserie turkey so meal prep was minimal. We went for a long walk and sat around chatting and drinking tea etc.

It was .

Our "normal" Christmas before then consisted of driving for 2 hours on Christmas eve to see my family, who we see about 2x per year. Much exchanging of gifts which we really couldn't afford.

Then it was a 6 hour drive on Christmas Day to see his family, again folks we see 2x per year. 2 overnights in a motel and another 6 hours back. And again exchanging of gifts we and one of DH's sisters could ill afford. Last time we were there DH's sister and her family all looked so sick and sad (all morbidly obese, sister has MS, dad has had both hips replaced, father-in-law has Alzheimer's, and they all SMOKE!) that I spent most of the visit walking the 2 dogs (who were amazed at this lucky turn of events).

We are going to spend Christmas alone again this year. We are truly broke this time but will enjoy our "alone" time with another walk and tea and chatting. Sometimes you have to make time for yourselves, no matter what the family demands.

Dagmar
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #6  

I was hoping for a large celebration again for Thanksgiving. My Dad had requested that I host and I readily agreed. My brother and his wife said no because their youngest is in college and only gets a four-day weekend so no time to travel. So my Dad, who lives in the same city decided not to come. My sister and her husband were on board until my Dad decided not to come. They thought they'd go visit my Dad because he thinks my brother will invite him for the meal, but in likelihood, they'll go skiing and forget the celebration. My cousins who live 2 hours away were invited but all declined (the total number there varies between 5 and 22 depending on which cousins and families come). So it came down to me, DH, the kids and my in-laws. Six. I asked my MIL to invite her friends who have come from time to time. Of the six or eight likely ones, there will maybe be two. But DD has saved the day! She invited her new BF (not really serious), her new roommate and possibly the roommates BF (but she'd rather he not come). Oh, yeah, I'd also invited DH's sister and her husband and they declined. IDK. I'm used to cooking for a crowd of about 27. Will I be able to handle such a small and intimate dinner party?

Christmas is usually very quiet--just the six of us. We have breakfast together, unwrap presents, go to a movie and then have a nice dinner. New Year's Day is more festivities as we celebrate DS's birthday (12/25), FIL's birthday (1/1) and DH's birthday (1/4).
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I got my free haircut yesterday, I had never met this hairdresser before and in fact had never been in the shop. Guess what ? I liked her, she actually did what I asked, I told her to the shortest areas were from a previous layer cut and to lignore them, they will grow, she did, I asked her not to cut too much off the necklins, she said about an inch and a half?I thought that sounded about right and that was what she did. The back is all one length or as much as it can be considering those pesky short layers but she cut the rest of it so it balanced in. I just got out of bed and haven't showered yet so we will see what I can do with it. It was a long day though as I had chemo after that and that takes two hours , I was very tired and couldn't sleep last night. I tried taking an OTC sleeping pill, they never work, at least for me they don't.

Last edited by bargoo; 10-16-2012 at 09:55 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #8  

Sorry you had a bad night's sleep, bargoo. I can sympathize. I don't remember if it was Friday night or Saturday night, but I could not fall asleep and every time I tried I kept going over the same scenario in my mind. Really, how many times do I need to play it over?

I'm trying to catch the feral kitten (Cully) that lives at our office. I've placed a kennel where he eats. He goes in and sleeps in there so I know he's comfortable with it. He lets me pet and pick him up. So I planned on catching him yesterday morning. It was not to be. I think he sensed how terrified I was to do this (why I was terrified? No idea.). Anyway, he refused to come near me yesterday and he wouldn't even eat his breakfast. He was a little better in the afternoon and even better this morning. I'll try again today. Wish me luck!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hi from me flying by!
Day two of my book fair.
Yesterday was donuts for dads and a big success.
Today is muffins for moms....
I'll pop in when I can....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone!

I am choking back stress-tears as I discover today, a week before our conference, that we have half the space we thought we did, and so many last minute details to hammer out. The stress is killing my appetite. No matter what, I will not die and I will not lose my job over this. In fact, a solution will present itself. At the very worst, everyone will be annoyed, give terrible evaluations and blame it on "poor planning."

Last edited by krampus; 10-16-2012 at 04:46 PM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry for the stress Krampus. Hope things aren't as bad as you fear.

Allison-- our Thanksgiving most years lately has been the 4 of us. We still have the whole huge meal with all the fixings. I would be so relieved if I was you and didn't have to plan for 27 people!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

We felt the Richter 4.5 earthquake yesterday that originated in Maine. I know that's kinda wimpy by California or world standards. Most folks are really annoyed that they didn't notice it, LOL. I thought it was a passing train.

Sending supportive thoughts to Krampus that you can fight the heap of emotions so that you have the energy to find your best path forward. My work experience is that people are most remembered for how they play through a crisis rather than for the crisis itself.

And also supportive thoughts to Dagmar for dealing with the emotional pain. May all your dogs help you continue to plow forward.

My challenge continues to be to fight through some tension without resorting to the bag of nuts in the pantry. Emotional eating still appeals despite consistently experiencing that it doesn't help.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #13  

Allison Cats are totally empathetic to your emotions. If you are afraid kitty will be afraid. If you are calm and encouraging kitty will be comfortable.

May I suggest sitting beside the kennel for a bit and encouraging kitty to come to you with food and/or treats? Handle him gently until he relaxes and then put some more treats into the carrier. A toy with catnip on it might help too. When he goes in after them quietly close the door. Just keep breathing slowly and evenly and you will stay calm (I use this for the dogs all the time - they too can sense when I'm stressed).

krampus sorry for your stress. From your post I see you progressing through the scenario and handling it with aplomb.

Bill The emotional eating is a really hard response to alter for me too. I was in a fender-bender (and handled it like an idiot though I wasn't at fault) yesterday (just to add to all the stuff going on). I came home and DH yelled at me for it. I went straight to the Halloween candy and stood there throwing mini chocolate bars into my mouth without tasting them.

They didn't help.

Dagmar
Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #14  

I am an emotional eater , too. It doesn't have to be a bad emotion, sadness, fear, etc. happiness can bring on that old feeling of "I need to eat something to celebrate this." "Something" is usually sweet and chocolatey , if no chocolate is available sweet will do.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #15  

Someone posted this on Facebook, if it applies , use it.

Advice Fom a Tree

Stand tall and proud.
Go out on a limb.
Remember your roots.
Drink plenty of water.
Be content with your natural beauty.
Enjoy the view.

Last edited by bargoo; 10-17-2012 at 07:50 AM.