Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #1  

Default I made it finally (long story) 60 lbs off.

Hi:
I put my photos up in the goal photo album. So I was always kind of tubby as a kid, but not bad. In fact, my junior year of high school I was 133 and 5'4. Then, I went to work and I jumped up a little to 155 and 5'5. I always *felt* I had a problem with my weight but didn't really. During this time... I skated also and would probably spend 4 hours at the rink on a daily basis. That doesn't mean I did 4 hours of skating but... about an hour. If I wasn't skating I was working.

Then at the end of the summer of my senior year within one week, I (1) got my drivers license; (2) quit skating and (3) went to college. At college I just did what everyone else did. I got a muffin for breakfast at Dunkin Donuts. I ate in the cafeteria for lunch and study groups... well, we had a lot of brownies, MacDonalds and stuff.

November of that year my brother comes out and goes... "what is that on your arms"... I didn't know. there were these "marks". Finally I asked my mom and she confirmed what he was saying --- stretch marks. I went to the bathroom scale and saw that I had gained... 40 lbs. I was 195. I was upset but decided I would lose it. I never quite could. There is a difference between losing 10 lbs and 40.

First serious attempt.. Weight Watchers. I lost 25 lbs pretty easily. But then, for over a year, I was at a Plateau. WWs was not helpful. One day they would say -- eat more -- one day -- eat less. I had faith that it would come off. But then I went across the US for grad school. Although I thought I ate reasonably -- on the 7 day trip -- when I weighed in I was up 10 lbs.. TEN. I lost it and ate myself up 35 lbs. Second serious attempt, 2006. I tried on my own and did lose down to 48lbs.. but it took two years and any off plan food was like a hair trigger. Two treats at an x-mas party made me gain 10 and then, I broke a toe and I gained 10 more. Eventually I was back to 214. Both of these diets I was in gyms for about an hour.

Finally, disgusted, I googled the term.. Very Low Calorie Diet. I had a hunch that -- for whatever reason -- I needed to eat very little. And I found the HMR plan. How ironic that this plan was done at my own doctors office and I didn't know it. It seemed to have everything that was perfect for me. Prepackaged food so I could be SURE I was eating what I thought I was, and I wouldn't have to cook. Medical Monitoring -- so I would know if low calories were hurting me and it seemed to promise fast results. Something I now realized I had to have or I would run out of motivation before I hit goal.

So I started it one day before New Years 2011. They asked me at first what I wanted to weigh and I said 155... never thinking I would ever get there, but it was the weight before college. My first week I lost 9 lbs... it was amazing. Every single day that first week, I got on the scale and it registered a loss. And then, for about 6 weeks, I lost about 3 lbs. Then it started being just one. Most plans... I would lose a lb.. then gain one, then lose one than gain one. That didn't happen here. It was a straight loss... with only a few minimal plateaus which were like one week and likely PMS.

Around June I had lost enough I quit HMR and finally reached goal around the middle of July. Since that time I have been maintaining on my own and I actually lost a few lbs. But at the moment I am stable. This time... I amazingly did not gain hand over foot after getting off the diet. It has now been three months of maintaining and I am still the same... that is major for me. I continue to add back food in kind of a reverse zig zag.

Of course, I am a little greedy so come January, I am going to try to drop from 155 to 135. I think I can do it.

What do I think worked this time? I don't know.. but here are my guesses.

(1) I suspect I have always needed very low calories to diet. Perhaps as I child I didn't notice because I was so active. It is possible that some people just need less than others and I always suspected I was one of them but had no way to cut calories so much and be monitored. My first clue that maybe I needed low calories was gaining 40 lbs in 3 months in college.

(2) I also suspect I might have been insulin resistant and such a tremendous cut in calories (and carbs) cured that. My fasting blood sugar has fallen from 95 to 80(sometimes less). I now burn food like a thin person.

(3) In 2010 my doctor discovered I had almost no Vitamin D in my blood -- since that time I have increased it to 60 ng per ml. Vitamin d is known to have a pro weight loss effect.

Everyone is so amazed with me. I get so many compliments on a daily basis, and this time, I refuse to gain it back. I am hopeful that I won't because of vitamin D and also what I have learned about eating high volume low calorie food. I am happy but determined. And I write this story with one lesson in mind. NEVER GIVE UP. I finally found what worked for me. In 1991 if you had told me I wasn't getting enough Vitamin D I never wouldn't have understood you, but more vitamin d and some low calorie food and shazam.... BINGO... NEVER GIVE UP!
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #2  
Raw Ramp

S/C/G: 205/164/150

Height: 5'10"

Great job!!! You're maintaining and that's a wonderful place to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRue View Post
What do I think worked this time? I don't know..
I've struggled with this question too, especially as people ask me what I did to lose weight. The journey is different for everyone, but the destination is the same...success I'm happy for you that you've reached your goal.
redvelouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210.5/200/132

Height: 5'7"

well done on reaching your weight loss and maintaining for three months is great achievement!

I am really starting to realise just how carb sensitive I am lately, it's good reading stories of people who've not only lost the weight, but managed to keep it off.
chickpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200.6/200.6/145

Height: 5' 6.5"

Congrats! 60lbs is a big accomplishment. I'm sure you'll hit your new goal in no time!
luvmy2girls is offline   Reply With Quote