Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/223/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Day 1: already hard

its only day one of my dieting and im already wanting to give in. Its so hard! My mom does weight wachers so i am counting points as my diet system. I get 32 points per day and including my lunch ive used all but 11 and i know im going to want a snack later. Im just happy fruits and veggies are point free and maybe i can snagg some fruit but my college cafeteria doesnt usually have it. I brought my own lunch and am disappointed with how satisfied i am so i bought a little bag of chex mix that cost 6 points! i can earn more points by exercising so im going to do that in order to have a decent dinner. and i know im going to want a snack this after noon. Its just so hard and i dont want to cheat but im having trouble not cheating already!
18young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #2  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

you'll be alright and if it is very hard the first time,
how about trying getting used to it in a little by little mode?
I think you made enough progress for one day already.
try working out and just do your best but DO try to make it a bit better each day.... Good Luck!
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

As the days go by you will find what foods you can fit in to get the most out of your calories (or points).

And if WW isn't a great fit for you, that's ok too! Different things work for different people. You may find another way to go about it that is easier for you than WW. Sometimes there will be hard days, but if every single day is hard, this may not be the right plan for you. If you feel constantly deprived it won't work long term.

Things like chex mix, for me, are horrible things to try and work in to my calories because they end up making me feel more hungry since there's virtually nothing but carbs. Now, I'm not anti-carb by any means, but for me I do better if I try and eat more nutritious and filling foods.

White knuckle it through today if you have to, and tomorrow try and pick more filling foods! It's trial and error.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #4  

Thanks so much. I did WW once before a year or two ago for about a month and lost 30 pounds. i know it works for me i just have trouble really sticking to it from the git go. I plan on hitting up the grocery store tomarrow morning before classes to get some more blanaced and filling items to keep on hand that wont ruin my whole day. Its just to easy to get to the stuff thats bad for you sometimes.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I think you're probably not a good candidate for weight watchers or calorie counting by themselves.

I could be wrong but you sound like you're addicted to carbs. Thus I would suggest you do a low carb diet for a while and get yourself off sugar.

Personally I'd suggest Paleo eating for a while but really any low carb diet is fine.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #6  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I think you're probably not a good candidate for weight watchers or calorie counting by themselves.

I could be wrong but you sound like you're addicted to carbs. Thus I would suggest you do a low carb diet for a while and get yourself off sugar.
im a little confused by this. all she said about carbs was a little bag of chex mix?

i think calorie counting is the easiest and most flexible way to diet and i believe weight watchers is a very similar idea.

the first few weeks are HARD! just stick with it, it gets easier. going to the grocery store is a great idea. like stephanie says, the longer you do it, the easier it will become to choose foods that fill you up without ruining your calorie deficit.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27 View Post
im a little confused by this. all she said about carbs was a little bag of chex mix?

i think calorie counting is the easiest and most flexible way to diet and i believe weight watchers is a very similar idea.
Normally I would agree with you. I'm a strong proponent of calorie counting for everyone at least for a while to see which foods are really high in calories and which ones are not.

It's only a theory but to be tempted to cheat on day one suggests that she is either missing the sugar badly or she has a major lack of motivation.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #8  

I dont have "major lack of motivation" im an 18 year old girl who has been heavy her whole life! i dont really like sugary items that much so no im not addicted to sugar. Im a high school senior who is taking 13 college credits instead of taking classes at my high school. if anything is working against me its stress not lack of motivation .
Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

Keep planing ahead and using what you learn. You learned something today - what you packed wasn't enough for you so you know to pack more tomorrow. I have been on WW for about 4 weeks (maybe five?) and every week, almost every day, I learn something new. For example, yesterday I learned that sushi has even more points than I thought so I dipped into my weeklies for dinner. Net time I'll know.

You have weekly points! Use them! That's what they're for. You won't lose 30 pounds in a month (did I read that right), but you won't be miserable either.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #10  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98DaysOfSummer View Post
Keep planing ahead and using what you learn. You learned something today - what you packed wasn't enough for you so you know to pack more tomorrow. I have been on WW for about 4 weeks (maybe five?) and every week, almost every day, I learn something new. For example, yesterday I learned that sushi has even more points than I thought so I dipped into my weeklies for dinner. Net time I'll know.

You have weekly points! Use them! That's what they're for. You won't lose 30 pounds in a month (did I read that right), but you won't be miserable either.

I agree.
I don't do any special diet but I make sure to write down everything I eat and try to walk every day. I don't lose a lot in a month but I can see this month is lighter than the month before, and so on.
believe in yourself. slow is alright. as long as you continue.
don't ever stop... imagine how you would be this time next year!!!
chin up Honey!!!

Last edited by masterptr; 10-09-2012 at 02:57 PM.
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Day 1 is by far the hardest, followed by day 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. In other words, it gets easier and easier as you go along. You may have to white-knuckle it through the first week or so, but as soon as you start seeing results your motivation will rise, plus your body and mind will get used to smaller quantities.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #12  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18young View Post
I dont have "major lack of motivation" im an 18 year old girl who has been heavy her whole life! i dont really like sugary items that much so no im not addicted to sugar. Im a high school senior who is taking 13 college credits instead of taking classes at my high school. if anything is working against me its stress not lack of motivation .
No one was attacking you, just giving suggestions. Stress. . . that will never get easier, ever. We ALL have a lot going on, stress in our lives, other things that occupy our minds, worries, etc. You will probably never have less going on in your life than you do now, only MORE as you get older. You are busy with school, yes! Kudos to you for taking on so much. Just trying to say, it will never be easier than it is right now.

Even if you aren't addicted to sugar, a low carb plan might not be a bad idea to start with! Yes, WW has worked for you in the past, but not long term. Just throwing it out there. Good luck to you!

People are just trying to help.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

I made a kind of cheat-sheet for myself when I'm struggling. It's disappointing when I fall, but I try and learn from my failures so I'll be less likely to do it again. Preparation is the key. Maybe this can help you, too.

1. Don't buy your trigger foods and bring them in the house!
2. Prepare lunch the day before (for work or school).
3. Make sure you have your critical diet foods in stock and don't run out.
4. If you *have to* binge, do it on steamed broccoli, 100-calorie popcorn bags, or juice (my standbys - choose your own) .
5. Hungry? Get busy and take your mind off it. It'll pass.
6. Find ways to get motivated, using things like images (super-fit people, the way you used to be, et al), motivational music, etc.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #14  
slowly shrinking mii

S/C/G: 230/115/120

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

Personally I'd suggest Paleo eating for a while but really any low carb diet is fine.
I agree, i think low carb might be a good option for you. Good luck
threekidsandasheltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I think it's hard because you weren't prepared. Tonight make sure you plan your meals for tomorrow. Since your fruit and veggies are "pointless" I would make them my snacks and have 3 healthy meals.

I also agree with the low carb approach. But that's just me
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote