Old 10-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #1  

Default Sugar-free cough drops knocked me out of ketosis?

I've had a scratchy throat due to seasonal allergies. I peed on a ketostick and found I was out of ketosis! What the heck? I looked on the back of the sugar free cough drops and saw in miniscule letters "10 drops = 1 Fruit"!!!!

Anyone gone out of ketosis on accident? If so, how did it affect your weight loss? I've lost 45 lbs. and am upset that it may take forever to get back into ketosis....I guess I don't know how long it'll take.

thanks,

chris
gringogigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Wow, how many cough drops did you eat? It must have been quite a few to knock you out of ketosis. I've gone out of ketosis a few times with planned cheats on a weekend - I'm usually very hungry on Monday and Tuesday, and back to normal by Wednesday. It could take as long as 5 days like the first time, but it's never been that long for me.

Good luck - you can do it!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
Wow, how many cough drops did you eat? It must have been quite a few to knock you out of ketosis. I've gone out of ketosis a few times with planned cheats on a weekend - I'm usually very hungry on Monday and Tuesday, and back to normal by Wednesday. It could take as long as 5 days like the first time, but it's never been that long for me.

Good luck - you can do it!
I probably had 15 or so over the course of a day. I did this yesterday and today. They really helped my throat hurt less. I read on the back of the package that 10 cough drops = 1 fruit. I assume that's why I'm out of ketosis.
gringogigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hmmm, if that's the only carby thing you've eaten, I guess that's it. You wouldn't think the sugar free ones would do it, though. You're making me rethink my after-lunch 3 or 4 or 5 sugar free Werther's, now.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

I wonder if the drops have sugar alcohols. While calorie-free it can act funny on the metabolism - at least Weight Watchers treats them differently. I'm not sure exactly how/what/why that is.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote