Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question is ketosis harmful to a pregnancy?

I still have to wait a few more days to find out if im pregnant as i tested to early..(jumped the gun) ... But if i am pregnant, i want to be on a lower carb diet because i will more then likely have gestational diabites again..my question is: Does anyone know if being in a state of ketosis while pregnant is harmful to the baby??? or can you stay in ketosis with no problems?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

I wouldn't even try to answer that... and if I were you I would not trust an answer you get from someone on the internet. You need to talk to a doctor.

Either way take a multivitamin every day and no drinking alcohol, good luck with the maybe baby
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #3  

You absolutely should NOT be in ketosis while pregnant. I first learned about ketosis on Atkins, after reading Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. He gives healthy carb levels for a pregnant woman

This is why it is so important to have a coach and not just follow a plan on the Internet without the background knowledge. Medical supervision is a MUST!

Congrats to you! You CAN have a low carb pregnancy (no white carbs or added sugar) but not one in Ketosis. Many babies are born to moms on the paleo or primal plans

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-08-2012 at 06:48 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
I still have to wait a few more days to find out if im pregnant as i tested to early..(jumped the gun) ... But if i am pregnant, i want to be on a lower carb diet because i will more then likely have gestational diabites again..my question is: Does anyone know if being in a state of ketosis while pregnant is harmful to the baby??? or can you stay in ketosis with no problems?
Ideal Protein is NOT safe for pregnancy. If you think you may be pregnant you should stop IP right away - and if the test is positive, talk to a dietitian about a low carb diet that ALSO provides your body with enough calories to sustain you and your growing baby. Good luck!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #5  
Started IP 5/16/2016

S/C/G: 220/220/165

Height: 5'6

Is this post for real or is someone pulling our leg here ... ?
marlenesuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #6  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy if your test comes back positive.

I would give the same advice as given by the others. Go and see your OB/GYN. My wife had gestational diabetes with her pregnancies. At some point (it wasn't right away.. but maybe after a month or two) she took a test to see if she might have it. Actually, it was two tests. If she had passed the first test, then would have been ok. But If you don't pass the first test, then you have take a second, longer test. Long story short -- she didn't pass the second test. She then met with a dietician to go on a specific diet. It wasn't low carb per se, but it did focus on good carbs. And, in fact, she did wind up losing weight during her pregnancy -- which her OB/GYN said was fine. Fortunately, the diet controlled her sugar levels. If it had not, she would have had to take insulin.

For my wife's subsequent pregnancies, since she had the history of the gestational diabetes, the OB/GYN did not wait to put her on the diabetic diet. She pretty much started it right away.

Last edited by joefla70; 10-08-2012 at 09:28 AM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #7  
IP rebooting

S/C/G: 276/ticker/150

Height: 5'5

With my second pregnancy I ate "light" you could say. Our chiropractor advised me to stick leaner proteins and lots of veggies and then add in your healthier carbs- whole wheat, sweet potatoes, brown rice- those kinds of things. The HCG in your body while you are pregnant is an awesome fat to energy converter. Now this all being said you should obviously talk to your Dr. and get their opinion on this.
I weighed 260 at the start of my pregnancy and maintained that for most of it and only gained a few pounds twords the end- I also had an almost 9 lb baby, but did not have gestational diabetes. I took both the 1 hr and the 3 hr and passed easily.
Now as far as the little weight gain- my Dr. was fine with it because I was eating healthy and eating enough. After I had my youngest I acutally weighed 235 within 2 months and maintained it until I quit nursing.
I have a healthy 16 month old daughter who is ahead on all of her milestones- so there is no ill effects of my lack of weight gain or how I ate.
blessedamberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #8  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

thanks everyone for the info..will keep this info in mind over the next few days.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/135

Height: 5'1

I got pregnant while on IP back in April. Both the IP coach and my doc told me to stop IP right away and just go to a normal square meal diet through pregnancy
le506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:172/ CW:167/ GW: 130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by le506 View Post
I got pregnant while on IP back in April. Both the IP coach and my doc told me to stop IP right away and just go to a normal square meal diet through pregnancy
Did you phase off or quit cold turkey?
luz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'd urge you to talk to a healthcare provider ASAP, as in immediately about your diet and starting on a prenatal vitamin, especially if you're not eating LOTS of vegetables and fruits.

I would be very concerned that the IP protocol might not provide sufficient folate to support a healthy pregnancy. Folate deficiency causes severe spinal defects in the first trimester, so most doctors now want women to take prenatal vitamins ASAP (ideally before even trying to conceive).

If you can't get in touch with your doctor quickly tomorrow, try the health department, WIC, March of Dimes...

I'm hesitant to say "run to Walmart tonight, and purchase and start taking a prenatal vitamin or folic acid supplement immediately," but I would say, talk to a health professional about taking a prenatal vitamin ASAP.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

http://www.babycenter.com.au/a104213...ional-diabetes

Oh i thought this was a uk website but its not . There will be a government website from your country which gives dietary advice for gestational pregnancy. I would take a look at it.

As well as talk to your doctor.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #13  
Carb Addict

S/C/G: 290/290/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luz18 View Post
Did you phase off or quit cold turkey?
When I found out I was pregnant during phase 1 I quite cold turkey.
Tigerlvr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #14  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Hi all, this original thread is from October 2012 and she wasn't pregnant at the time but definitely good advice for the future though. if anyone else on IP or any keto diet is wondering.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedamberly View Post
With my second pregnancy I ate "light" you could say. Our chiropractor advised me to stick leaner proteins and lots of veggies and then add in your healthier carbs- whole wheat, sweet potatoes, brown rice- those kinds of things. The HCG in your body while you are pregnant is an awesome fat to energy converter. Now this all being said you should obviously talk to your Dr. and get their opinion on this.
I weighed 260 at the start of my pregnancy and maintained that for most of it and only gained a few pounds twords the end- I also had an almost 9 lb baby, but did not have gestational diabetes. I took both the 1 hr and the 3 hr and passed easily.
Now as far as the little weight gain- my Dr. was fine with it because I was eating healthy and eating enough. After I had my youngest I acutally weighed 235 within 2 months and maintained it until I quit nursing.
I have a healthy 16 month old daughter who is ahead on all of her milestones- so there is no ill effects of my lack of weight gain or how I ate.
Hi! I have such relief hearing from you. I have been trying get pregnant naturally but not working. I noticed u said you were 260 when pregnant. I weigh 232. Did you have to undergo any fertility treatment or was IP diet good enough to get you pregnant? Assuming u have pcos.

I was on IP previously and got pregnant unexpectedly. However when I am trying this year without IP, it's not working for me. I want to understand if it's my weight that's not letting it happen this time and do I need to go back on IP to get pregnant again.
Pjane is offline   Reply With Quote