Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Saggy Arms and surgery

I have a question about one of the most talked about topics on this forum-saggy arms.

Mine are bad-really bad. I measured my flap today (don't judge) after realizing how much worse they are starting to look: the skin hangs down about four inches! I strength train like a beast-especially my arms. But they look horrible. I can't even look at myself in the mirror and just because of my arms. I'm so incredibly self conscious that I'm starting to become obsessive about them.

So my question is this-would it be possible that I could get an arm lift even though I'm no where near my goal weight? I've only lost about 60 lbs. Sometimes, the extra skin does cause irritation under my arms but not often.

I know its important to be patient and keep at it with the weights and exercise-but I actually become depressed when I see how bad my arms look.
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #2  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

I personally wouldn't want to have it done until closer to your goal weight. You run the risk of possibly having to have it done twice then I know how frustrating and discouraging loose skin can be but I'm trying not to get too hung up on mine until I'm a bit closer to goal.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

new invention.... arm girdles?
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #4  

Drixnot-I couldn't tell if you were kidding or not so I googled "arm girdle" and they actually exist! Mine don't look too bad in long sleeves but I never go sleeveless.

Lambiechop-I know you are right. I know my arms will look different the more weight I lose but it can be frustrating at times. I'm trying to stay positive but its sometimes hard.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I have the "arm girdles". I use them when I'm wearing something with sleeves, and they do work some. Like the Spanx, they work but don't cover everything all the time.

I have about as much underhang as you. It's going to take time and while a doctor might be willing to do some sort of liposuction in that area, I seriously doubt any skin would be removed at this stage. They like to see a lot more fat loss first. Like not till you weigh under 200 lbs. The fat does get in the way of their work.

I feel the same way as you. Somedays, I look in the mirror and feel pretty good about myself, and other days all I see are the lumps and bumps and the really droopy skin. It's going to take me a long time to get to where I want to go, and I'm 51 and my skin just isn't going to snap back into shape from where it is now.

I workout daily, a lot. I can feel my muscles and I am strong. Many times the excess fat and skin gets in the way of my workouts and I can't achieve everything I want to achieve. I have chaffing really bad in some places. I have to do extra work to maintain my skin. And that's just something I'm having to accept for now. There are no alternative positions that will help me to feel better. I feel good about all the work I do and what I've achieved and I try to focus on that.

And I wear the arm girdle and the Spanx!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #6  

Thanks for sharing, geoblewis. That's really unfortunate that you have such bad chafing. When I started to really gear up my workouts, I got underarm chafing really badly for about two weeks. It finally cleared up but it was really bad.