Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #1  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Default Aw man...

Today my friend was over here hanging out, and it kinda sucked seeing his thin-ness and how I'm not like that. And then my mom goes and gets a big bag of various fun-size candies... I haven't eaten much today, but I ate like 7 of those candies... which I don't think is too many calories, but y'know... still not healthy.

So yeah, kinda discouraged, especially since I didn't meet my monthly goal of losing 10 pounds. I only lost 3...
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #2  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

First off: CONGRATULATIONS on losing three pounds! That's awesome!

Okay.

Why do you compare yourself to your friend? What good does it do you?
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #3  
Japanese Student

He eats out basically everyday, and I do about once a week...
I dunno... Just knowing my body is supposed to look like that when it's not.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #4  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

But you're not your friend. There are a lot of factors that affect body weight that could potentially be (and probably are) different between you two - metabolism, genetics, overall eating and activity patterns, etc. I don't know what your sex is, but if you're female then you're doing yourself a double disservice by comparing yourself to your male friend - guys, especially young guys, naturally have higher muscle-to-fat ratios then comparably aged females (generally speaking, they also lose weight faster). In any case, how does comparing yourself to him help you accomplish your goals?
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #5  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

See the quote in my sig
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #6  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I admit that I am really guilty of comparing myself to others in all ways. I compare myself to thinner people, bigger people, and people who really aren't that much difference in size. Just today I got jealous of my friend who is on the same weight loss path as I am because while I'm ahead of her in losses weight-wise, she's taller so getting out of "obese" territory came sooner for her, and she's really smaller than me in general simply because she's taller. And all the while talking to her, I keep thinking of all the things being taller would bring me, like being able to buy pants without worrying about them being too long or having to get them hemmed.

But then I remember that it's silly to compare myself to her because I'm not her. I won't ever be 5'8; my body is different from hers and what's the use in wishing for something that won't ever happen? You have to remind yourself of what's best for YOU and what works for YOU because that's the only thing you can do. Worrying about how other people's bodies work only puts unnecessary stress on yourself.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
I keep thinking of all the things being taller would bring me, like being able to buy pants without worrying about them being too long or having to get them hemmed.
I'm 5'11" with long legs and have to scour the city to find pants that fit me. It's at least as much of a pain as hemming, believe me.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #8  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I'm 5'11" with long legs and have to scour the city to find pants that fit me. It's at least as much of a pain as hemming, believe me.

F.
I don't know why they don't think people who aren't of "average" height like to wear a variety of pants!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #9  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

Quote:

F.
I'd say even more.. unless you always like to be ready for a flood.
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #10  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:

F.
my sister is 5'11 as well and i remember this from growing up! back then most stores didnt even sell various inseams (short, long, etc). seemed like a real nightmare.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:49 AM   #11  
Japanese Student

Heh, thanks peeps. Indeed, he is a male getting ready to turn 18 soon, just a little under a year younger than me. Also doesn't help overweight-ness runs in my family.
I don't know why I compared myself to him... Indeed, I know it's pointless and stupid. I brushed it off though and I'm back on my feet. I just gotta keep it up.
I noticed there's an interesting amount of tall girls on here... I don't think I've ever seen a 5'11" lady in my life! Well, I guess it's likely I have, I just don't remember.