Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/253/135

Height: 5'6"

Default A fear

So forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong section, but it seemed to be the best. I recently restarted trying to lose weight after stress eating the last 10 months or so into my highest weight ever. However, even at my highest weight, I was healthy. Low blood pressure,not even close to diabetic, thick hair, great skin. My only downfall is that I am fat. So my fear? That I will actually become LESS healthy after losing weight. I have so far lost 11 pounds, and am keeping a close eye on hair loss. I have read several articles and forum posts about both beocoming healthier by losing weight and losing hair and having skin problems following a big weight loss. I know that as far as my health goes, I am probably playing the odds. It is only a matter of time before health problems catch up to me and losing weight could help prevent it, but I feel afraid that I will lose my hair and have bad skin. Does anyone else feel like this?
Jenn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #2  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

you will definitely be healthier after you lose weight (as long as you do it in a healthy way). there are side effects like shedding hair for some people, but it usually doesnt turn into any sort of permanent problem.

your bmi at 5'6 is in the "morbid obesity" column. you will certainly be a lot healthier at your goal weight of 135! good luck!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

I know everyone is different, but I think as long as you stay well nourished you shouldn't have these issues.

I've lost 75 pounds since the end of December and I have had no issues. My hair is the same, my skin is better, and I'm definitely more healthy.

And although you are healthy now, obesity will, in all probability, end up causing health issues far beyond hair loss and skin issues.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I noticed a bit of hair shedding when I was eating more carbs than protein and fruits/veggies, but it stopped once I started eating well. If you're eating nutrient rich foods, then most problems associated with weight loss are temporary if they occur at all.

If you're worried about hair loss, this might make you feel better (it says that it's only temporary):
http://www.ehow.com/about_5333600_we...hair-loss.html
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #5  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

I can tell you I feel 100% better so far with no issues really so far. I've never tired anymore, and my sleep has gotten so much better.

I have a little loose skin and I suspect you might end up with some too. I'd still rather have some loose skin then way 281lbs.

Your blood work may be fine now, but it's most likely only a matter of time until it isn't.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I haven't lost any hair and my skin is just fine, thank you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

My hair has actually become thicker and healthier..my hairdresser keeps asking what I'm doing - she thinks it is the increased protein that is making it healthier. My skin is better than it ever was..probably from increasing my water and not eating or drinking crap. I was like you..no high blood pressure, no diabetes etc. but I feel a billion times better now.
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #8  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

i was also healthy as a horse pre-weight loss.

strong, athletic, and fierce (kind of like a pack mule, munch munch munch).

guess what ? now im as healthy as a race horse. fine, elegant, with long limbs, and a respected member of my social circle due to my healthy lifestyle.

i choose option 2 obv.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: See ticker!

Height: 5'0

I know what you mean! I've sort of always thought my nails, skin, and hair had to do with getting an overabundance of nutrients because of how much food I use to eat. But I don't think it's worth being overweight, and if you do run into any of these problems, there are vitamins and such to fix them!

My skin has a little more glow to it now that I've been eating better, though it wasn't very bad to begin with. I've heard of people's skin actually clearing up instead of the opposite. I say just keep going and don't let fears hold you back! It's sort of like excess skin, we will never know how weight loss will effect our bodies until we get there first! I just go with a "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it" attitude and it helps me keep the possible downsides to weight loss out of mind.
Samantha18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 272/253/135

Thank you ladies! I, of course, realize that losing weight will be way better for me in the long run. I think I was just having a moment of panic at the idea of losing my hair. It is very reassuring to hear so many people that had no issues.
Jenn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #11  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn79 View Post
Thank you ladies! I, of course, realize that losing weight will be way better for me in the long run. I think I was just having a moment of panic at the idea of losing my hair. It is very reassuring to hear so many people that had no issues.

i think even those that do arent like "balding". theyre just shedding extra because of diet changes usually. it tends to resolve itself and there are special vitamins just to help with hair and nails.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn79 View Post
I have so far lost 11 pounds, and am keeping a close eye on hair loss.
As far as I know, hair loss only happens when you lose weight at too fast a PACE. The vast majority of people lose weight (whether 20 or 200 pounds) with no hair loss or skin changes. If you lose weight at a sensible pace (no more than 2 pounds per week ON AVERAGE, ideally a bit less) you'll be fine.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

I am shedding more hair than normal. Going to try vitamins specifically for it, as it doesn't thrill me. But I am eating lots of protein and taking multis. But I would prefer slightly thinner hair and a healthy body size to being fat.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I understand that most people are more concerned with the blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol type numbers, but that isn't all there is to being healthy. Quality of life is a huge issue and the extra weight will have a huge effect on that over time. Don't know how old you are now, but at some point your feet, knees and hips will not be able to take the pounding of that much weight. There are few things more depressing than having each and every step you take cause you pain. And it will happen if it hasn't already.

My hair thinned a little while I was losing the weight. Once I reached maintenance it stabilized and is fine now. However, it is nothing compared to how good I feel being able to run up and down a flight of stairs, get up off the floor without needing a crane, and having a doctor tell me that I've taken so much pressure off of my bad knee that it doesn't require surgery.

Take the weight off. You will not be less healthy at a lower weight.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #15  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I agree with all of the previous posters, your hair and nails will likely be fine. Don't let your fear sabotage your health.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote