Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Rock Your Jeans event - What size jeans should I get?

So, I am joining the Rock Your Jeans event my gyms are hosting. I was going to do it, then my partner backed out, so I thought, "maybe this is a sign and I shouldn't do it" and then someone I work with asked me if I was going to do it and if I wanted to partner up, so I said OK. As an added bonus, since I work for the organization, I get a significant discount (woohoo!) I'm also going to use this opportunity to write for work about various classes - trying out new ones, etc.

Anyway... here's the description of the program: http://www.columbiafitness.org/perso...sInfoSheet.pdf

In this program, you are supposed to buy a pair of jeans 2 sizes smaller than you currently wear and see how you progress in 8 weeks.

I currently wear, quite comfortably, a size 10. When I was getting down to 165 with working out in weights and cardio, I was in between an 8 and a 10, but... what I was finding was that my hip bones were what was keeping me from going from a 10 to an 8 where all along the rest of the journey, it was the waist line.

I know I'll be doing more heavy lifting (reading and gearing up for NRFL program) and I will be building more muscle, so getting smaller, but I'm wondering if two sizes for me is unrealistic?

If I get another pair of pants, it should be of the same brand and style to be like for like. I just cannot see myself wearing a size 6. Yet, I'm probably not that far now from being able to wear 8s.

What would you all do in my place? It will be more than 2 months from purchasing said pants, so returning them won't be possible in most stores even with tags still attached. Do I go with a 6? or an 8?

ETA: I'm 5'6.5", 173 pounds. My current measurements are 40.5-32-41.5. When I was at 165 I was 40-31-41.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 09-26-2012 at 10:00 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #2  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

I'd go with the 8's. You can't shrink bone! An example - me and my sister are roughly the same height but she has bones made for baby making LOL. My son was only 6 1/2 lbs and was STUCK in me! Here kids were both over 10 lbs and POP! Maybe TMI but even when she weighs the same as me she is in a size larger because of the hip bones. Unfortunately I don't have those natural curves and can (and do) wear boys stuff. BUT .. if they have enough stretch in them maybe the 6? LOL
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #3  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post
I'd go with the 8's. You can't shrink bone! An example - me and my sister are roughly the same height but she has bones made for baby making LOL. My son was only 6 1/2 lbs and was STUCK in me! Here kids were both over 10 lbs and POP! Maybe TMI but even when she weighs the same as me she is in a size larger because of the hip bones. Unfortunately I don't have those natural curves and can (and do) wear boys stuff. BUT .. if they have enough stretch in them maybe the 6? LOL
I definitely have hips. My first was 10 lbs 9 ounces and 22" long - natural child birth with 2.5 hours of pushing.

My second was 11 pounds 14 ozs and 22" long - natural child birth and 40 minutes of pushing.

What I wonder though, is if the fleshy part of the backside (glutes) will shrink down enough so that other parts of my gut/hip area then can use more of the jeans materal side to side width, versus needing more girth room. Does that make sense?

I will NEVER be small. I'm simply not built small, but where that last 'size' is I don't know. And this would be the last size for me, for sure.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #4  

Even if they don't fit, you can always sell them on Copious.
tnc0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

IMO, because you really don't have a ton of weight left to lose, losing 2 whole sizes in 8 weeks is unrealistic. I'd go for the 8s if it were me, for sure. And if they end up being too big -- WOOHOO!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
When I was at 165 I was 40-31-41.
Right now my measurements are 36-28-37 and I'm a 6. If you expect to reduce your measurements by 1.5-2 inches each, an 8 sounds about right to me.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My vote is for the 8's also.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #8  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
IMO, because you really don't have a ton of weight left to lose, losing 2 whole sizes in 8 weeks is unrealistic. I'd go for the 8s if it were me, for sure. And if they end up being too big -- WOOHOO!!!
Yep, I'm agree here too. Even if your butt gets smaller, jeans aren't normally cut that way unless they are a curvey cut. And that is a short amount of time ... I'm in a 6 (but remember I'm built like a boy!) and you're measurements are more towards the perfect 10 than mine are. My hips are a 36 (all butt ) Dropping 4 inches in your hips would be pretty strange considering your proportions. I'd love to have your ratio of hip/waist/bust! Wear what your body calls for and enjoy those curves - they are healthy ones afterall!

And OMG - you are like my sister! I spent 14 hours trying to get my little pumpkin out (he's a halloween baby ) and they STILL had to cut him out!! My sister - one push, two push and POP - small people
Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #9  
Melissa

Here's a related question. ALLLLL my jeans (and most of my pants) have a bit of lycra to them. I find they fit better and move better. So, I can squish myself into a 8 now, but would have a super bad muffin top and would feel I'm cut in two. To me, fitting means "don't look painted on and no muffin top".

AND... my muffin top now is as much loose skin as fat. I have a lot of loose skin on my abdomen. I can do this: (THis is a man's body, but give him hips and that's my gut - close - add a gazillion stretch marks too)

Is it cheating to use jeans with lycra?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Here's a related question. ALLLLL my jeans (and most of my pants) have a bit of lycra to them. I find they fit better and move better. So, I can squish myself into a 8 now, but would have a super bad muffin top and would feel I'm cut in two. To me, fitting means "don't look painted on and no muffin top".

AND... my muffin top now is as much loose skin as fat. I have a lot of loose skin on my abdomen. I can do this: (THis is a man's body, but give him hips and that's my gut - close - add a gazillion stretch marks too)

Is it cheating to use jeans with lycra?
No, it is not cheating to use jeans with lycra. A personal note about sizes 6 and 8. I now wear size 6 but still have some 8's in my closet, they are wearable just a little loose in the butt I can wear them often enough that I am not going to toss them, on the other hand the 6's fit better and look better.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
ALLLLL my jeans (and most of my pants) have a bit of lycra to them.
Another lycra lover here. Makes pants look better, fit better, and feel better. I'm never going back to that industrial-strength denim that feels like cardboard.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 09-26-2012 at 02:04 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #12  
Keeping it real!

Love Lycra - can't imagine WHY they would EVER make ANY pants without it! Maybe we should be asking what the cut of the pants would be? Curvy, boyfriend, skinny, relaxed, high rise (please don't say yes to this , low rise, etc....

The muffin top goes away the lower the rise. I absolutely LOVE the new Levi's with the comfort waist and slimming cut. They are mid rise so there is a possibility of muffin ...
Old 09-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #13  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post
Love Lycra - can't imagine WHY they would EVER make ANY pants without it! Maybe we should be asking what the cut of the pants would be? Curvy, boyfriend, skinny, relaxed, high rise (please don't say yes to this , low rise, etc....

The muffin top goes away the lower the rise. I absolutely LOVE the new Levi's with the comfort waist and slimming cut. They are mid rise so there is a possibility of muffin ...
Every body is so different from the other. I simply CANNOT wear low rise jeans. They look horrendous on me. H.o.r.r.e.n.d.o.u.s. AND, there's nothing to hold them up, they would fit around the hips and slide right on down if I sat down.

Other things I cannot wear - boot cut. They need to be skinny cut, tapered cut and sometimes straight cut.

My BFF was trying to convince me otherwise - that bootcut makes you look longer, yada, yada, yada... then I sent her pictures in various cuts. She finally agreed that yes, midrise with a skinny cut is best for my body. I need something to go OVER the hip to keep them from falling off.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #14  
Melissa

You all, I am soooo confused. I just came back from TJMaxx. I took back to the dressing room these brands and sizes - why these? because these were the brands and cuts they had in all three sizes.

I went in wearing a comfortable fitting size 10 DKNY straight leg jean.

Size 10: NYDJ boot leg, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg

Size 8: DKNY midrise straight leg, NYDJ boot leg, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg, Ralph Lauren Boot Cut

Size 6: DKNY midrise straight leg, NYDJ boot leg, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg, Ralph Lauren Boot Cut

Size 4: Michael Kors Boot Cut

Now, I do not look good in boot cut, but I was wanting to check fit.

What I found:

Size 10: NYDJ boot leg - too big, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg- can't get them over my hips

Size 8: DKNY midrise straight leg - fit perfect, NYDJ boot leg - fit perfect, hate the style, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg- couldn't get it over my hips, Ralph Lauren Boot Cut - fit snug

Size 6: DKNY midrise straight leg - fit slightly snug, NYDJ boot leg - fit slightly snug, hate the style, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg didn't even try it-, Ralph Lauren Boot Cut - couldn't get it over my hips

Size 4: Michael Kors Boot Cut - fit slightly snug.

Why did I even have the size 4? it was the last size 4 in the line next to the 6s and it looked big. I decided to try it, just to see.

Now, what in the heck do I do???? In the brands that fit me now, I can fit (without cutting myself in half) into a size 6.

Truly, what is the size difference between a 6-8-10. It must be incredibly little. yet in levis- I couldn't even begin to put those on!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #15  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
You all, I am soooo confused. I just came back from TJMaxx. I took back to the dressing room these brands and sizes - why these? because these were the brands and cuts they had in all three sizes.

I went in wearing a comfortable fitting size 10 DKNY straight leg jean.

Size 10: NYDJ boot leg, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg

Size 8: DKNY midrise straight leg, NYDJ boot leg, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg, Ralph Lauren Boot Cut

Size 6: DKNY midrise straight leg, NYDJ boot leg, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg, Ralph Lauren Boot Cut

Size 4: Michael Kors Boot Cut

Now, I do not look good in boot cut, but I was wanting to check fit.

What I found:

Size 10: NYDJ boot leg - too big, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg- can't get them over my hips

Size 8: DKNY midrise straight leg - fit perfect, NYDJ boot leg - fit perfect, hate the style, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg- couldn't get it over my hips, Ralph Lauren Boot Cut - fit snug

Size 6: DKNY midrise straight leg - fit slightly snug, NYDJ boot leg - fit slightly snug, hate the style, Levis Bold Curve Straight Leg didn't even try it-, Ralph Lauren Boot Cut - couldn't get it over my hips

Size 4: Michael Kors Boot Cut - fit slightly snug.

Why did I even have the size 4? it was the last size 4 in the line next to the 6s and it looked big. I decided to try it, just to see.

Now, what in the heck do I do???? In the brands that fit me now, I can fit (without cutting myself in half) into a size 6.

Truly, what is the size difference between a 6-8-10. It must be incredibly little. yet in levis- I couldn't even begin to put those on!
Well then DKNY size 6 midrise it IS!!!! If they're slightly snug now, you'll be in great shape! So see, we were all wrong on 8's. And yeah - Levis are more boy cut - they're my kind of jeans, my sister can't even think of them. Us boxes get the boy jeans and you ladies get the cool labels