Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/165/130

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy Have not been below 160 in ages, Im only 5'2"

Hello, I am new to 3FC, so far I really enjoy reading the tips/tricks and everything in between on dieting and weight loss. I hope to find some good support here. I was diagnosed with sesamoiditis of my right foot so jogging can become tricky for me. I have since then purchased better sneakers(I was wearing the wrong kind to jog) and better walking shoes. Even with the good sneakers I still feel lots of pain in my right foot after a good jog. Is there any good alternative cardio I can do? My Podiatrist told me to stay away from the elliptical, that it is not very good for my foot and can aggrivate the sesamoiditis. I was thinking of trying out the treadmill again, and maybe do like intervals of jogging and walking? I get super bored on the treadmill so I was thinking of starting 15min jog around my neighborhood, then 15 min on my treadmill with intervals(to start) I havent done cardio in a few months due to flare ups with sesamoiditis but I really want to loose at least 20 to 30 pounds. Any tips or advice is great!! I am so glad I found this site. It feels so good I am not alone in this loosing weight battle
*OH and how do you all get that lil ticker on the bottom that shows weight loss goals?
Halijade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Hello and welcome! In regards to cardio. . . meh! Intervals are great (I like them), but IMO weight training is much much much more beneficial to body recomposition! That's not to say I don't do cardio, because I do, just less than I used to. I think, with your foot issue, weight training would be perfect because there's an enormous multitude of exercises that don't involve the foot at all! And you certainly don't have to belong to a gym to train!

Losing weight is really just diet based, so I wouldn't sweat it about the cardio at all; do what you can, but don't push yourself to where you are making your foot issue worse.

Regarding the ticker: You go to user CP to add the ticker, but I'm not sure if you have to be a member for a certain amoutn of time or posts before you can have a sig???
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

You might give a rowing machine a try. Great upper and lower body workout without all the pounding on your feet. I'm in pretty good shape and it still kicks my butt on a regular basis.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #4  

Doing intervals of jogging and walking can be pretty beneficial do you know about HIIT training? For example fast jogging for 1 minute followed by a recovery walk for 1 minute? Although going all out might be too hard on your feet perhaps the recovery walks in between might reduce the stress and amount of pain you have? Just a suggestion!
Bunklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Lift heavy weights
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/165/130

Thank you everyone for some awesome advice so far.
I was doing INTENSE cardio 4 days to 5 days a week before I hurt my foot, but I wasnt eating the best and guess what? didnt loose a pound
I am just now learning how to eat better. It was amazing that no matter how much cardio you do, if you eat bad, you wont loose a pound.
Now I have totally changed the way I eat. I eat much more fiber, veg/fruit, lean meats, more water, less sugar, lower carb(I still love carbs, just try and eat whole grain/brown rice etc)
when we have less money to spend on groceries I unfortunatley buy white rice/white bread, I just eat WAY less of it than I used to.
I have been counting my calories using myfitnesspal. So far I do not eat more than 1200 calories per day to avoid going into "starvation mode"
When I was doing the intense cardio, and not loosing a pound, one thing I did not try is strength training.
It has been a very long time since I have done strengh training(havent since college) What would you say is a good way to start strength training?
I actually have an awesome little gym in my complex that has leg machines(quad/hams) and back/arm machines
Lockitup-I just dont know exactly how many reps/sets to do? how much weight? etc..
I dont want to overdo it when I start weight training again.
I am going to start Monday to start a fresh week.
I will try not to focus so much on the cardio(even though I will still try and do about 30min per day of SOME type of cardio)
I used to weight train in college, I used to be a cheerleader so my legs have great muscle memory, as soon as I start up again, I start getting cuts on my legs fast(that I am very thankful for)
anyway should I start at maybe 40 lbs for quads? is that too much? too little? how many reps/sets?
Thank you everyone! man i cant wait to feel normal again

Last edited by Halijade7; 09-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Halijade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

It's hard to answer how much, you kind of have to experiment to find out where you are at! Aim for, say, 10 reps; and you want the weight to be challenging from the beginning but not so heavy that the 10th rep a struggle to even do, but not so light that you could have easily gotten to 12 (well, that's my opinion, not hard fact, so take it with a grain of salt, people have different views on these matters). Maybe 2 to 3 sets. It may take you some time to find out exactly what weights you should be doing, keep a log, record your weights, reps, sets, maybe add a little note about how it felt, then next time you can adjust the weight accordingly.

I just read The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I haven't started the program yet, but it's a wonderful book!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #8  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Some more exercise options that might be less impactful on your feet might be bicycling and swimming (if that is an option for you).
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote