Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Soreness for days after heavy lifting

I just moved up to Phase 2 of New Rules of Lifting For Women. Phase 1 made me sore, usually, the next day. Phase 2 is making me sore for 2-3 days.

I have read conflicting advice, and I wanted to get some insight from the knowledgeable lifting folks that frequent this thread. I would like to maintain my 3 lifting sessions per week, but I have read that continued muscle soreness indicates my muscles have not yet healed.

So is it counterproductive to keep my schedule, regardless of soreness? I am absolutely loving this phase, and would hate to slow it down, but also want to be smart about it.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

How many days into phase 2 are you? If you aren't very far in yet, I'd think it would subside soon and to just keep doing what you're doing. You could always go a little lighter if you are ultra sore, that way you don't have to skip a workout, but you aren't going full out and getting sore on top of sore.

(Please repeat this advice to me when I begin phase 2, lol.)
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Are you sore or are you experiencing sharp pain/joint pain?

DOMS/delayed onset muscle soreness is normal after doing a new activity/adding weight and can be worked through without injury. But if it feels "wrong," like you twisted something or you feel something is inflamed or out of place, you should probably see a doctor and rest.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/197/175

Height: 5'6

I try to just keep a schedule of doing different areas on different days. Usually a day or two rest in between. Sometimes the soreness doesn't go away COMPLETELY, but I just work through it. Foam rollers, lots of stretching, and loooots of water help. I work in a spa so I get deep tissue massages when I feel like I need it and it makes an incredible difference.
tinamariex16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

It's the great 'I am accomplishing some great body recomposition' kind of soreness. I am sore ALL over. Yay, NROLFW phase 2! I it is not debilitating. I just wanted to be sure that the soreness was not an indication that I needed to give my muscles more time to rest. Looks like I will happily be engaged in one-point rows later this afternoon!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/141/135

Height: 5'2

If you're so sore that normal activities hurt or you're sore to touch, you should wait a while longer. If you're just mildly sore, but not too sore to work through, go ahead and continue, perhaps with lighter weights to start.

Your muscles have to recover to grow so if you're really sore, there is nothing wrong with resting.
DisappearingActs is offline   Reply With Quote