General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default My skin is looking so bad lately! Not acne but just looks tired

I gave birth to my daughter at the end of May and of course I had the pregnancy glow during, but the past couple of months my skin has suddenly went downhill. It looks older, tired, kinda rough, not bright. I exfoliate, I moisturize, and I use a light mineral foundation powder that never in the past looked cakey or powdery (that's why I got it, cuz liquid foundations look cakey and oily and regular powder makeup is caky and gross and powdery but mineral makeup is great for me!) But lately my skin looks sucky. I also notice a new crop of freckles around my eyes from the summer when previously, I didn't have freckles.

how can I revive my tired skin? I'm turning 27 soon and I'm feeling like age is starting to catch up with me?
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #2  

I'd recommend something like retinol. It's a light chemical peel that will help brighten your skin. You could also try glycolic acid. The Alpha Hydrox line is really good, as well as Neutrogena Healthy Skin.
Euphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

If you're already gently exfoliating and moisturizing, I'd suggest it is a vitamin/mineral deficiency (chromium, choline, or amino acids would be the first ones I'd suspect) and a lack of hydration. My skin looks much better when I am drinking plenty, supplementing with my vitamin regimen, and eating plenty of dietary fat.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

You just gave birth.....this is what happens after...your skin looks tired because you are tired. It has only been 4 months. Drink lots of water and take some vitamins. If you are breast feeding, drink even more water.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

For immediate results I love Dead Sea Spa Magiks algimud active seaweed mask. It feels really soothing and refreshing on the skin and when you peel it off your skin looks sublimely healthy and glowing/plumped out/smooth/hydrated. I don't think the brand is very mainstream, but my skin seems to love their products. It also comes in a sachet which will yield about 3-4 masks so it's not a big splash out if you didn't like it

I don't really know much about the changes that go with pregnancy, but I'd just make sure you're being gentle with your skin and give it some time-I personally dislike face scrubs, but given the amount of people who love them they must work for some people. I think our skin always goes through random phases of looking a bit lackluster though, mine is usually pretty good but I currently have Mount Vesuvius about to blow up on my chin, both painful and unattractive!
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I echo a few things that have been said. It could be a vitamin or mineral deficiency, dehydration, or lack of sleep. And it could be a combo of all of those things.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #7  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Thanks ladies. Believe me, I plan on trying all of the products mentioned and will definitely start taking a vitamin (you know what, the dr told me to take a vitamin especially since I'm breastfeeding, and I forgot). I started drinking more water instead of my diet pepsi, too. I know caffeinated beverages are dehydrating.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #8  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

When my skin starts to look tired... I've got to pull out the big guns... I do a combo of a series of facials that might include microdermabrasion, laser, and chemical peels... But even just going for a quickie lunch time basic facial will make a noticeable difference...

The one thing that I really want to try are the Fraxel laser facials... I have a friend who did it and looks like a completely different person... absolutely glowing... it was pretty amazing...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 09-22-2012 at 09:01 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote