General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #1  

Default nutri bullet

I seen this online the nutri bullet and it says it is The Superfood Nutrition Extractor.

Will you really absorb more of the nutrition using this rather then eating the veggies and fruit whole.

Would like to know before I buy it.

Thanks
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Here's the catch of "absorbing more nutrition," it also means absorbing more (and burning fewer) calories.

Chewing does burn more calories than drinking, and breaking down our food by cooking and/or chopping/pureeing does reduce the energy expended (calories burned) during digestion, in comparison to eating food whole and raw.

So while you may get more nutrients, those nutrients include the calories.

All that being said, using this gadget (or for that matter breaking down your veggies and fruits through cooking, chopping...) aren't necessarily a bad thing. If you will eat more fruits and vegetables with this gadget than you would eating them whole and raw... that may make the gadget worthwhile (because most folks don't get enough veggies, and eating them any way is better than not).

So cook them if you like them cooked, puree them into a smoothie with this gadget, if that's the way you like them, or eat them raw and whole if you like them that way. Make them any way you will eat them.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I don't know about the claims, but it's just a powerful personal blender, it isn't extracting anything. Some people claim drinking fruits and vegetables like this you aren't getting all the nutrients since you aren't chewing and chewing starts the digestion process.

Reading the reviews on amazon alot of people say it starts leaking after some time.

if you feel you eat enough vegetables on your own it probably isn't really a must have. but if you feel you are lacking with fruits and vegetables it can be a way to get more in.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #4  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

I think it's claiming that you will being getting more nutrients from the skin of the fruits/vegetables which you would not get with a conventional juicer. David Wolfe, who promotes the Nutri Bullet is a bit of a joke in the raw/whole foods community ever since he started cashing in on his "fame" in the industry. I'm a little skeptical about the durability of this product but the idea is good. If you purchase it, I would suggest leaving some skin pieces in the juice and chew/drink your juice if that makes any sense.
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I believe it is just a larger, nicer version of the Magic Bullet. I actually love the Magic Bullet, have had several and made good use of them. But it doesn't do, in my opinion, anything special to the food as far as releasing nutrients, than the Magic Bullet or similar products, or a very good blender.

I do think nutrients are more accessible to the body when pulverized like this and probably it does take marginally more calories to digest less accessible nutrients, but I personally feel if the body is accessing nutrients and health is aided and the metabolism is humming along, it can be helpful to drink the products made with these machines. I personally feel less hungry if I have something like that that gives me more of the nutrients I need than if I eat one piece of fruit that is mostly just fiber.

Lol, I may buy that thing.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
Some people claim drinking fruits and vegetables like this you aren't getting all the nutrients since you aren't chewing and chewing starts the digestion process.
You don't have to chew to start the digestion process or to get all the nutrients from food. One of the functions of chewing is to break the food into smaller pieces so that the food is more easily digested (more surface area). If you bolt your food (eat too large of pieces and don't chew), some of that food is more likely to pass through your body undigested.

Chopping and pulverizing therefore increases the surface area, thereby exposing more of the food to digestion.

People are probably confusing pulverizing juicers with conventional juicers.

In conventional juicing the pulp, skin and other solids are left behind, so if you drink conventional juices, you do miss out on the nutrients and health benefits of the solids.

Any difference in calories/nutrients between eating freggies and drinking them (assuming you're consuming the solids) is going to be very tiny, at most a few calories and/or at worsta tiny difference in the percentage of the nutrients absorbed.

So if eating a serving of veggie nets you 25 calories and drinking the same fruit nets you 25.01 (or even 26 or 27), the difference isn't worth worrying about (and it's more likely to be a fraction of a calorie's difference rather than several).

Likewise the pulverized juice even if it does increase the absorption of nutrients, we're probably talking at most a percentage point or two, not enough to make a significant difference in your weight or health.

Because the difference is minimal, personal preference really is the most important factor here. If you like your fruits and veggies liquified into a drinkable form, then do so. If you'd rather chew your fruits and veggies then do that. If you like both, do both.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #7  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

i looked at the nutri bullet, it looks like it has an extra blade compared to the reg. bullet, I think some of that extra nutrition comes from the types of veggies you might juice or pulverize.

My parents gave me a ninja for my birthday, so I opted for the juice bullet, since I now have the high speed blender, so sometimes juice, sometimes I just use the ninja to chop my veggies for salad, I was grating, so this is much faster and no risk to my fingertips!

Kaplods is right (as usual... ) whichever way you can get more freggies (love the term) into you is the right way for you to do. What works for me won't neccessarily work for you, but maybe some part of it will help you. I hope so!

The exchange of ideas is great here.
best of luck to all!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #8  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

I have the magic bullet, while I do like the little thing, its isnt that strong to make smoothies. the new one may be better and more powerful but I dont want to spend up to 140.00 to find out. I bought a Hamilton smoothie blender on Amazon for about 40.00 and it works great.
I drink 2 smoothies a day and I love them, I also have a salad for dinner. I would not eat all the veggies and fruits i eat a day if i didnt make a smoothie.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I use my blender to make smoothies and make one every day. I had a juicer but gave it away when I moved, sorry I did that. I know that I do not eat enough vegies, I'm a little better on fruit. I am looking for a new juicer, it is not going to be a Bullet in all their ads on TV and online they include water in their juicing. I just want undiluted juice. With my Juiceman Jr I did not have to add water and I could juice things like apples, carrots,beets among othr things.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #10  
Lil' Old Chick

I got my juicer on ebay, 39.99 and it works great, i use it almost daily.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Too View Post
I got my juicer on ebay, 39.99 and it works great, i use it almost daily.
What kind of juicer did you get ? Did you get the bullet ? Can you juice hard vegies and friuts such as apples, carrots and beets ?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #12  
Lil' Old Chick

I checked Ebay, the juicer I bought isnt there anymore. Keep looking on Ebay for a stainless steel juicer 700 watt for under 40.00. I through everything in my juicer, carrots, celery, apples, oranges, spinach, kale, everything except soft fruit like bananas and watermelon, which is to soft of a fruit for a juicer. You can always dehydrate the pulp and make crackers and flat bread too.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Too View Post
I checked Ebay, the juicer I bought isnt there anymore. Keep looking on Ebay for a stainless steel juicer 700 watt for under 40.00. I through everything in my juicer, carrots, celery, apples, oranges, spinach, kale, everything except soft fruit like bananas and watermelon, which is to soft of a fruit for a juicer. You can always dehydrate the pulp and make crackers and flat bread too.
Karen, that sounds like what I am looking for. What is the brand that you purchased ?