Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #1  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Default September Chat Thread

Hey guys, welcome to September! I know that lots of people are heading back to school and hope that everyone's month is off to a good start. Let's chat it up!

-----
Today was a really weird day for me...the weather was being bipolar and swinging between gorgeous sunshine and torrential downpours all day (super fun on a bike), so I decided to go to the mall. I wanted a few more pairs of work pants and found out in the picture post that I've apparently been doing the whole "bra" thing entirely wrong for the past decade, so new ones seemed like a good idea. The weird part? I'm kinda dumbfounded by exactly how badly I was messing up when picking bras. I researched a lot online last night, took measurements, and I walked in wearing a US 36B...then walked out with a Japanese 75F (DD equivalent). Initially I was excited to suddenly have boobs...then by the time I got home, I was on the verge of a panic attack because I don't know what to do with boobs . I've always thought that I was the one weird flat-chested fat girl, but now I find out that no, I have boobs, they've just been hanging out in my damn armpits. Even the scoop-neck T-shirt I was wearing today looks slightly skank-a-licious when cleavage is suddenly a factor. My 12-year-old self would be overjoyed, but if I wasn't so desperate to get rid of the armpit pudge that was actually breast tissue in disguise, I would probably just put my old bras back on. Double-yew...tee...eff...
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #2  
Underdog to Beastmode

S/C/G: 231/192.8/125

Height: 5'3"

Hotaruchan- Lol, bet that was an unexpected surprise! I've had the opposite experience with my boobies, when I started weightlifting I actually lost inches around them and had to get smaller bras. Then again, I have always been chesty and had a lot of upper back pain as a result, so I was quite happy to get tinier.

-----
Happy September all!
Started my vegan diet yesterday, or at least easing into it. I ate a lot of healthy foods and, as it usually does, my body went into rapid-fire detox mode. I was feeling horrible yesterday, but today I feel energized and overall pretty darn awesome. As for the actual diet, getting fresh-prepared vegan food will be a little hard for me, since the nearest health-food megastore is at least 30 minutes away (I live in suburbia, kind of far from St Louis City) but there are smaller ones nearby in case I absolutely need something from a health food store. Otherwise, lots of fruit, veggies, beans, and healthy plant-based fats (nuts, seeds, tofu, "fake" meat) that I can easily buy at a grocery store around here.

Today I seriously need to get back to studying and running. I have so much to get done and not much time to get it done in. It's Labor Day here in the States so I've actually got a four-day weekend (inservice day at the college on Tuesday), but when I study I do so with much highlighting and typing so it usually takes forever. And running, kind of hard to do when you're food detoxing but great to do afterward, so yeah, I'm on that.

Anyhoo, I gotta get ready to go to church, so I'm out for now. Hope all of you have a great day/evening/what have you.

Last edited by namaste984; 09-02-2012 at 09:12 AM.
namaste984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #3  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

You're a better woman than I...I could never give up meat, and full-out vegan means no cheese. I might die without cheese. Japanese cheese is pretty awful, so I've been having withdrawals, particularly with fall coming and the thought of apples and smoked gouda dancing through my brain. Best of luck with your studying and running.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

H-Chan: Boobs are a wonderful thing, and a powerful man-controlling tool. Enjoy them!

Namaste: vegan?! Oh my you're braver than me, but I do understand the feeling like butt due to diet changes. I've gone low carb for a week so far and the headaches floor me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning, I'm having breakfast with the fiancé and my parents at the hotel we're getting married at, to show my folks the hall. It's the first time the four of us have gone out in over a year. My parents don't likecJon, my fiancé, because he's poor and skinny (my dad thinks I should be with a muscle man), so this breakfast is a huge deal. News on how it goes tonight!
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #5  
bee

S/C/G: 265.5/240/160

Height: 5'7"

Katbot: Good luck on the breakfast!! And I agree on the boobs! It is almost sad at how easily controllable they can be.

Hotachuran: Good for you going to get new bras!!! correct sizing is the best! It upsets me about how many women don't understand bra sizes. When I found out my correct size I went from a DD to a H. I am now down to a 36DDD after a month of this. I'm hoping one day I will be in mainstream sizing. Wearing the wrong bra can mess up your back and can make your boobs look wonky. Lol. I wish there was someone to teach young women how to wear a bra. I mean we are taught how to use a pad in 5th grade, yet they don't think about the boobs. And just like periods, most of us have boobs too. My mom didn't want me to wear bras until I was 13, which was a big problem because when I finally got one I was a C. I am amazed that your DD's fit into a B without being super uncomfortable! Hope they are super cute... the bras, i mean!

lol sorry, bras are just a big thing with me... I kind of hoard them.

Namaste: Good luck being vegan! I was vegetarian for a while a few years back. My stomach felt happy but I was tired allllllll of the time. My body needs meat protein. Do you have kroger marketplaces anywhere around you? They have huge sections in those stores. Regular kroger has a mini section too.

-----------------------
Yesterday I tripled my cardio time because I don't plan on working out today and tomorrow. I didn't realize how little I had ate before I went but it was bad. I barely made it home (a 5 min trip) opened my car door and all of the water I had drink and most of my breakfast was gone. I had a hot dog and then noodles later. Carbs were def. needed! I don't know how you guys do low carb!!

Last edited by beahawkins; 09-02-2012 at 11:49 AM.
beahawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #6  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Height: 5'5"

namaste: Welcome to veganism! It's pretty rad if you're smart about it. I was a junk food vegan (on and off vegetarian) for 12 years, a meat eater for 3, and now have gone back to vegan and mostly raw for the past 6 months and feel seriously fantastic. I have oodles of excess energy and haven't been sick since I went back. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't be healthy or a weight lifter and vegan at the same time. That simply isn't true. It's really very easy to be vegan and whatever else you want to be once you educate yourself and get into the habit of it.

A little advice: stay away from the fake meats as much as possible. Some are fine (amy's organic makes a california burger I would recommend, even though I can't eat them now that I know I'm gluten intolerant), some are not, but in general I think overly processed food is the worst. Take it easy on the soy (small amounts once and awhile are A-OK), but avoid anything with soy protein isolate. It simply isn't healthy. In fact, I would rather eat real meat (like fresh fish, or grass fed beef, or bison) than most fake meats on the market. Also, either supplement with B-12 or make sure you get plenty of nutritional yeast and spirulina. And base all your meals around veggies with everything else as a garnish, side, or topping.

Hotaruchan: I totally sympathize with your bra situation. I recently bought all new bras. Not only is bra shopping the worst, but it is very strange to wear bras that fit the way they are supposed to when you are not used to the look or feel. Although it is better than continuing to sport my ratty old bras that are now way too big. Before this if someone asked for my bra size, I would have said large.

Katbot: Yikes! Hope things went well.

beahawkins: I'm with you on the low carb. I cannot workout as hard as I like to without plenty of carbs in my diet. Plus I just love fruit and sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans and . . . food in general.

-----
I'm counting my last days of freedom before another semester of school starts. Ugh! Not looking forward to it. Not only are my classes going to be uber hard (I'm an engineering major), I'm also scared that once school and stress start up again I won't take as good of care of myself as I have been or should. I just need to remember to use exercise as an outlet and not eating.

Life is great besides that. Well, except that I'm three days short of officially being in a plateau. After hitting a low of 172, I've been stuck between 175.5 and 174.5 for almost 3 weeks. It is TOM and I've been lifting like a maniac, so hopefully I'm just retaining water like the Hoover Dam and not in plateau limbo. Come on woosh!
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #7  
Underdog to Beastmode

S/C/G: 231/192.8/125

Height: 5'3"

Garden- Thanks for the tips! I tend to stay away from the pseudo-meats for the most part, I agree that they are hyper-processed and not doing much for me. I love a lot of fruits and veggies in my diet, though all the fiber cleanses my body for the first few days of being vegan. I do supplement B12 and have been for a long time now, thinking of adding some spirulina later on too because it has always done wonderful things for me.

Bea- We had Krogers in Memphis but not here in StL. I go to Dierberg's here because they have a good health section. The only health food shop here... well, my ex owns the store next to it and he's there often. He's not mean or anything but his family and he are kind of annoying and loud so I generally stay away. There are also two Whole Foods Markets in StL and several Trader Joe's around the three counties, so if I need cheap fruits and veggies I go to Trader Joe's and if I need vitamins or things I can only get a megastore I will go into StL and get it.

Katbot and Hotaru- Thanks! You would be surprised how good the food is, and how even some everyday stuff is vegan. I don't know if I would consider myself brave or particularly innovative, I just know that this morning I felt fantastic and I would like to keep it up.

--------
Had a great morning today. I've kind of got a plan for phasing out the meat and dairy so I can maintain it. Going to a mostly-fruit and veggies, some fish, very limited dairy, and then going totally vegan. I've heard mostly raw vegans have wonderful health, but that is something I will have to ease into that gradually too. I think all the recipes are wonderfully creative and something I definitely want to try. But, baby steps first, success later.

Have a great day/evening all!
namaste984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks for starting this thread (and for the thread announcement)! You know I was still on the August thread....

Hotaruchan You silly girl! Glad you got a proper bra.

namaste Good luck with the vegan diet. I think Garden gave some very sound advice.

katbot Good luck with breakfast! Looking forward to hearing how it went.

beahawkins Triple? Wowza! My legs would be jello.

Garden Hope your whoosh comes soon! Fingers crossed. Sounds like you have a good plan in store for the school year. Just focus on good choices.

I forget who asked (sorry!) but things are okay after the hurricane. My parents lost power for a few days and some places got a lot of water, but thankfully the water is receding.

My weekend is going well so far. One more day!
Yesterday I saw that the Zombies, Run app was on sale for the weekend so i bought it and worked out last night with it. Wanted to do the treadmill, but one was taken and the other is broken, so I used the elliptical. When I was walking back to my apt I ran into some new neighbors and they invited me to hang out with them, so that was fun! AND I didn't eat any of the food they had there. Just stuck with my water and some wine. (I had already eaten dinner so I really didn't need anything else to eat).

Who made delicious water with fruit in it? This girl. I bought a great carafe that holds 2 quarts of water. I made ice cubes out of 100% cranberry juice and added a couple of those as well as a sliced up lemon, lime, and orange. SO, so good. I've been drinking it all day. And I can get at least 2 days out of the fruit, maaaybe 3. Even if I only get 2 days out of it, it's still a lot less expensive than other flavored waters. It's so silly how excited I am about flavored water.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #9  

Ah! It's good (and bad) to see that everyone else feels pretty horrible when starting a new diet. I had horrible headaches for the first few days and a bad stomach.

namaste- good luck with the veganism. I was a vegetarian for 5 years, with bouts of veganism. I went back to being an omnivore almost 2 years ago, but being a vegetarian was pretty great.
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #10  
bee

Garden: It does seem like EVERYTHING has carbs in it! Good luck with school!!! Engineering, good luck!!! What type?

Namaste: Trader Joes is the best! I love it. That would be weird to go be around a store that your ex owns. I don't even like being in the same neighborhood as my ex lol. How far away is StL from you?

QBallerina: I do not suggest tripling your workout. It was horrible. By the end, my legs were numb from the knees down. And I couldn't keep anything down for hours afterward. It was gross!
It's great that you and your family didn't get too much of the storm!!! And that drink is making my mouth water!

The Lauren: I'm glad it's normal too!
--------------

So, the guy I was talking to on OKC asked me out for Tuesday. I don't think he's too much of a creeper. He seems nice and we kind of know some of the same people. 6 degrees. I am thinking he's not too bad. We will have to see! On the other hand, I am to the point that I am nervous and almost want to back out of it, even though I really want to go. Not because I'm not confident in my dating, but dating is like putting on a show for me. Because naturally I'm pretty shy and this week we've been talking A LOT online and I'm not the same online or not at first! Ah!! : )
Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

@ Bea: just use common sense when meeting the guy and you'll be ok - public places for the date, let people know where you are and when to expect you back, etc. I'm sure you'll be fine.

GB: all you can do is take it one day at a time - make your goal to spend each day healthily and don't beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon one day, just get back on it the next. That's my plan for uni too (toxicology major here)

Namaste: Dang, I forgot vegans don't eat fish. I'd die without fish! I love it even more than cheese. You're brave whether you think so or not, missy!

QB: I'm glad you found a way to make water more palatable personally, I love water, in fact I drink ways more than normal and have to pee like every 10 minutes! Still manage to retain water tho

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breakfast update! It went well, but I felt like we had to defend every choice we made - like deciding to go hiking next summer before the wedding, or choosing to not own a car - but I think every parent worries about did kids' choices, so I think it's a normal thing. My mom said at my fiancé is an extremely calm person,which is true, in the years I've known him he's never raised his voice at anyone, lest of all me. Overall, successful - if strained - first outing as a family.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #12  
bee

Katbot: I'm sure I'll be fine. We are meeting at the place and then if we go anywhere else I will drive myself there. I'm not new to online dating. lol. but yes there will be people out there that know to expect notification by a certain time or call the cops : ) Thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #13  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Well, I'm back after a few months off the grid. I have mixed feelings about being back. I'm glad because I've always received a tremendous amount of support from this forum but I'm bummed because it means that I put the weight back on again. Harumph. I'm hoping to drop the first 15-20 before Veteran's day. I think it's attainable but I'll have to be pretty dedicated and focused. Anyway! Hi everybody! I still recognize a couple of faces
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #14  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

Hi all!

Bee: Which Trader Joe foods are your favourites? I live in Canada, so there aren't any stores here.. but there is a little shop I found that advertises they sell Trader Joe's products. I'm not sure what their selection is life, but I'm interested to check it out!

Kat: Glad to hear your breakfast went as well as it could. Have you met with his parents too?

--------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new school year for me, and I'm pretty excited! It's my last year as an undergrad, so I'm determined to make the best of it. I'm going to hit the campus gym again in the morning to get in the swing of things there.
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #15  
bee

PinkSparkles: I just love all of the fruit options!! I don't get very much there except that. And I went with a friend once and her mom has a running order and they pick it up every Monday! I thought that was fun.