Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #1  

Post Is this really an "Ideal Diet"

Here I go agian ... trying yet something new! I have my first appointment with a coach on Thursday. I had a quick chat with her on the phone today an the program sounds pretty simple. Its a bit costly at first but in the long run whats more important? I am looking for some tips or subliminal messages (lol) to help me get going an stay motivated.
Linda
LR414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #2  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

This program gives your IDEAL amount of protein it needs to function so that your pancreas doesn't over produce the insulin. its a great program, I have LIVED it for 70 weeks as of tomorrow with the success of losing 181lbs and 100+ inches. Gone from my thorax of 56 to now 37....my waist 67 now 42...cup size DD now a C....its the LAST program you will EVER need
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

For me it has been "Ideal". I have always found it difficult to balance out what to eat, when to eat, etc. on the various diets I've tried. I needed the strictness to keep me on track without having to overthink my choices. I enjoy vegetables and being able to use them in creative ways. I also like most of the IP food although some packets more than others. This is the best program I've found and now it is the last diet I'll ever need.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I agree 100% with kitkat and Lisa. Like most, I've been on just about every diet out there, but this was the first one I ever had such great success on and continue to at almost the one year mark. It truly will be your last diet. So get excited, get past the first week, and watch the scale move down while you feel great. Also, post and read often here as this will be your best support system ever!
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

In my opinion this is not the ideal diet for a number of reasons. None of these reasons mean the IP diet doesn't work. It works. The IP diet is a PSMF and if you follow it you lose weight and you lose it fast, just like any other PSMF. While some people on this forum thik PSMFs are a bad idea I think they can be extremely useful in particular for people who have 100 lbs of fat or more to lose.

Here are the reasons I don't think the IP diet is ideal list most important to least important.

Again - this is my opinion but it is based on having spent literally over a thousand hours reading about human physiology and psychology in the specific context of losing fat and keeping it off.

1) It doesn't educate you on how fat loss works (caloric deficit) but instead explains it is a matter of insulin and ketosis. This long term is extremely detrimental in my opinion to long term maintience. The result is reliance on the IP diet. In my opinion this is by design. If you don't teach people to fish ... you can keep selling them fish.

2) It is too reliant on protein shakes instead of whole foods. Long term weight loss is acheived by permanent alteration of ones habits. Drinking calories gives you very bad bang for the buck.

3) IP coaches are a mixed bag. You might get a great one but you might get a really poor one. From what I have read there is also a wide varience on what coaches say you can and can't do. (See reason 1)

4) IP diet is expensive to be on and the supplements are expensive.

All of these are fairly easily fixed except #4 but in my opinion if the first three were fixed #4 wouldn't be an issue because there would be much greater value. There are many other reasons I don't feel it is ideal but they're all related to the top 4.

When I reccomend a PSMF I suggest people follow Lyle Mcdonald's Rapid Fat Loss. None of my top four reasons apply to it although you don't have any in person accountability, only online support via his forum.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 149/131/130

Height: 5'3"

I have to disagree with JohnP. It appears as if he has not fully researched the program (or if he has, he has extremely limited knowledge and understanding of it.)

IP has taught me to look at food as a way to nourish my body and not feed my soul. Through the four step protocol, you will learn to eat a healthy balanced diet. You are not obligated to stay on the IP products once you reach the maintenance phase. (There are many people using alternatives that are less expensive even during the first three phases).

I do agree that maintaining one's weight is a matter of calories taken and calories expended but for some of us we could eat all our days worth of calories in junk and never take in anything nutritious. IP has taught me to make wiser food choices and to be more mindful of when I eat them.

IP can definitely be an investment; my husband and I are both on it. However, when I think about my mother and her struggles with weight, the diabetes my aunts have developed, and that my husband lost his father to heart disease, I know every penny is worth it.
Samkatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkatmom View Post
I have to disagree with JohnP. It appears as if he has not fully researched the program (or if he has, he has extremely limited knowledge and understanding of it.)
If you want to disagree with me you'll have to be specific because I've read the IP protocol and maintain my postion as written.

It would appear that you're disagreeing with my first point regarding education. If you learned calories mattered you either did it on your own or you had a good coach. I've read the IP protocol and did not see anything about calories. I saw plenty about ketosis and insulin as the mechanism on fat loss which is completely inaccurate.

Look at Wuv - she has lost a bazillion pounds on this diet and she is lists the top reason this diet is great is the pancreas doesn't overproduce insulin. Your reasons are significantly better but generally what I read around here is about ketosis and insulin.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
In my opinion this is not the ideal diet for a number of reasons. None of these reasons mean the IP diet doesn't work. It works. The IP diet is a PSMF and if you follow it you lose weight and you lose it fast, just like any other PSMF. While some people on this forum thik PSMFs are a bad idea I think they can be extremely useful in particular for people who have 100 lbs of fat or more to lose.

Here are the reasons I don't think the IP diet is ideal list most important to least important.

Again - this is my opinion but it is based on having spent literally over a thousand hours reading about human physiology and psychology in the specific context of losing fat and keeping it off.

1) It doesn't educate you on how fat loss works (caloric deficit) but instead explains it is a matter of insulin and ketosis. This long term is extremely detrimental in my opinion to long term maintience. The result is reliance on the IP diet. In my opinion this is by design. If you don't teach people to fish ... you can keep selling them fish.

2) It is too reliant on protein shakes instead of whole foods. Long term weight loss is acheived by permanent alteration of ones habits. Drinking calories gives you very bad bang for the buck.

3) IP coaches are a mixed bag. You might get a great one but you might get a really poor one. From what I have read there is also a wide varience on what coaches say you can and can't do. (See reason 1)

All of these are fairly easily fixed except #4 but in my opinion if the first three were fixed #4 wouldn't be an issue because there would be much greater value. There are many other reasons I don't feel it is ideal but they're all related to the top 4.

When I reccomend a PSMF I suggest people follow Lyle Mcdonald's Rapid Fat Loss. None of my top four reasons apply to it although you don't have any in person accountability, only online support via his forum.
I have to disagree on some of your points. I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying in regards to #1. Are you stating that you believe that remaining in ketosis is dangerous long term? If so I would argue that point strongly, but I will not take that on at this point as I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your statement.

Point#2. Each phase introduces another whole food meal that the dieter must make for themselves, so this is not just drink a shake for breakfast, lunch and dinner type of diet, and you're done. Through the phases, as one drops the IP food step by step they learn to add another healthy whole meals till all of the meals are made by the dieter. In this case I don't think your fish tale holds up because the dieter is taught to fish, just step by step.

Point #3: I do agree that I think the way some coaches are trained is very sloppy between their lack of knowledge and training. However even among the experts there are varying opinions on the proper way to lose weight, maintain and foods to choose from for proper weight loss. No perfect solution with so many opinions out there.

Point #4: Yes the prices are very expensive, however if one chooses to buy the food and spend the money, then who is to judge if they have spent too much money if the they are losing body fat and improving their health in the process.

I have one question for you... are you really 6'9? You are one tall guy.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #9  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

For all the people on here successfuly losing and maintaing on IP this is the IDEAL diet. I have tried them all and either failed early on or gained it all back.

IP is ideal to me, because of the bad foods that I have had to eliminate from my diet, I now have zero emotional eating issues. I am able to look at food and not have any intense cravings, and when it is out of sight I don't think about it.

Phase I is about losing weight, the other phases are what teach you how to eat for the rest of your life. After my second week on IP, I switched to alternatives which cut my expense to about 1/3 of what the actual IP program costs.

Actually I think now, I spend less money on food during the week overall because I rarely eat out. Not because I can't eat out, but because I don't want to waste my money on something I can prepare healthier at home.

I was desperate for help with weight loss before starting IP. I just couldnt seem to stick to any diet. Right now I feel so lucky that I found IP. I'm not struggling to stay on plan and I know that I can follow the plan until all the weight is lost. In my case it is 84 lbs total and I lost 31 in the first 9 weeks.

I still have over 50 lbs to go, but seeing all the successes here, there is no doubt in my mind I will get there.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Height: 5'7"

Tho I think that IP is a great diet, and personally do not agree with much of what JohnP has said, I do think point #3 about the coaches is spot on.

It is frustrating that you can spend upwards of $200 or $300 for a consultation, and then end up with someone who is not knowledgeable or properly trained. I know a couple of people who ended up not continuing with the IP diet and I believe it was due to their coaches.

However, IP has made me MUCH more mindful of the food I put into my body. I was always a veggie eater, but I was a non-stop snacker, and IP/Ketosis has pretty much put that to an end. Those changes will be lifelong.

Last edited by sharrow; 09-12-2012 at 10:59 AM.
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #11  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

Oh the contraversies over diets! I'm only on IP for 1 month so and there are points of it that I respectfully disagree with but I will say this ....
I'm a very healthy, very active, very proper eating middle aged women. Over the last 2 years, 20 lbs has "crept" up and no matter WHAT I did, I couldn't take them off. Again - I'm very educated on food, calorie intake versus expedenture, etc. The point I DO like about this diet and I think makes it work is the retraining of the body in regards to insulin. I was never a large carb eater unless I was training but I do think some bodies need that boost and reset. I don't agree necessarily with the super low calories but I think every body is different and has different diet needs. If this works for someone and they DO learn proper eating/health habits from (which they should if their coach has a clue) then we're all better for it. What works for a 30 year old man won't necessarily work for a 45 year woman. There are NO absolutes in dieting .. and we can all get along during the journey
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 218.5/208/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post
Oh the contraversies over diets! I'm only on IP for 1 month so and there are points of it that I respectfully disagree with but I will say this ....
I'm a very healthy, very active, very proper eating middle aged women. Over the last 2 years, 20 lbs has "crept" up and no matter WHAT I did, I couldn't take them off. Again - I'm very educated on food, calorie intake versus expedenture, etc. The point I DO like about this diet and I think makes it work is the retraining of the body in regards to insulin. I was never a large carb eater unless I was training but I do think some bodies need that boost and reset. I don't agree necessarily with the super low calories but I think every body is different and has different diet needs. If this works for someone and they DO learn proper eating/health habits from (which they should if their coach has a clue) then we're all better for it. What works for a 30 year old man won't necessarily work for a 45 year woman. There are NO absolutes in dieting .. and we can all get along during the journey

Where is the "like" button.
ShellyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #13  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post
Very well said. ITA. I don't know whether it's 'Ideal' for everyone's situation or not - but it is working for me. I doubt that I'd be -37 lbs at this point, and still going strong towards my goal, without it - and the support of everyone at this forum. The combination has been a winner for me. BTW, I've been using alternatives, so I'm talking more the nature and philosophy of the diet itself, rather than the actual products.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #14  
ND girl

Height: 5'6

For myself, I will take the knowledge from a PhD, than someone that has read books. Dr. Tran Tien emphasizes the psychological aspect and human dimension of weight issues. Focusing on poor eating choices and lifestyle habits, as both causes of weight gain and hindrances to weight loss.
I've had the pleasure of listen to him speak and can say he is the first doctor that gets it!!
redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 239.4/ticker/140ish

Height: 5ft 5.5in

For me, when I'm 100% OP, this is truly an Ideal Diet. It takes work and commitment, but when you follow this 100% its so worth it. There are many great alternative products that make this even more Ideal! There's also a lot of supportive people on this site that contribute to this Ideal-ness. As someone who is addicted to carbs and an emotional eater, I can truly say that this is an Ideal diet for someone like me.
EmilySebetka is offline   Reply With Quote