Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 08-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #1  
Warrior Princess

Default The novelty has worn off..feel fat again.

At first my weight loss felt great but now I'm feeling uncomfortable in my skin again. I have been at this weight for a little longer than a month and the newness has worn off. I feel a new "fat" size now and when I look in the mirror I don't see the loss anymore...I see more work to do when before I felt happy. Anyone experience this?

I have to look at pictures or try on old clothes to see/feel a difference. It's like I forgot how fluffy I used to be and sometimes still feel like I'm in my old body if that makes sense.

I'm just not happy with my body anymore right now. Probably not helping that I have sodium bloat right now either. :/
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

YES! Me too!

I think it's because I've been at this weight for a while now, that my eyes/brain have gotten used to it....

And yes, I see the flaws still... I'm just hoping that when I get to goal I won't want to continue. That's why one of the things I'm trying to focus on is doing strength training, so I can get the muscle that I need to make my body look better, rather than focusing purely on weight loss.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I hear you. I'm about "there" and still just see blobs and flaws even though I'm literally in the best shape of my life and still improving. Hoping continued strength training will do its magic and I will actually be able to see it.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #4  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

For me, I'm starting to see it as the downside to slow losing. I shrink so slowly that I seem to mentally adjust quickly (i.e. accurately gauge my size), only to hold relatively steady and not see any drastic changes. Then I get mildly frustrated that there's not a bigger difference after X number of months, and still 'feel' big and fluffy even though there's actually been some progress.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

I find "feeling fat" is a mental thing that has very little to do with size or reality- hence people who are emaciated and still feel "fat". For me it can just as easily mean "feeling depressed and stressed" as anything else. Gotta work on the inside self-acceptance part even more than the outer package. Judging from your profile picture, you are decidedly NOT fat.
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #6  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I hear you! When I first dropped a pant size, I felt sexy, skinny, small! I'd see myself in the mirror and be like WOW! However, now that I am used to it, when I see myself, I think I've gained weight and am back to where I was. I know that it is not true since my clothes still fit the same, but its very agitating. I took a break from weight loss so maybe since I have started up again, this feeling will go away!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #7  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I am so glad that someone else feels this way too. I felt so great about how I looked 4 months ago, but not so much now. I look at myself in the mirror and still see so many flaws. I keep trying to go down 10 more lbs but can't seem to get my groove back.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

Yes, totally. I have lost three stone and for ages I was like 'wow, I look so much better'. Now I just myself as properly fat again.

I guess my mind has caught up with things! Hopefully it won't be long until I lose more and get that nice feeling again.
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/209/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Feeling uncomfortable...

I have not lost all the weight I want to, but the body image phrase, caught my attention. Ok, I've lost 41 lbs., I put my new outfit on to go shopping. I got as far as the 1st store, and noticed different guys were looking at me! All my anxieties flared up, and I turned around and came back home, I felt so uncomfortable, being looked at,, what's wrong with me? Maybe I'll put my baggy shirts back on, so noone will notice me. Wierd huh?
ShoBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I feel very heavy - I've been in my general weight range for a few months, with no drastic loss. All I see are my own flaws and skinny people all around me. I still feel like one of the heavier people wherever I go. I know I look better than I did 1 year ago, but I don't look any different from say, 4-5 months ago. 150lbs is my new "fat" weight. I hope I feel differently when I am at my goal weight - otherwise, I am destined to always feel fat.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Ugh me too. I've been more or less this size for 9 months now. Some days I feel awesome and others I just feel like I'm big again.

Lifting has helped because my body has changed even though my size hasn't, but it's very different than suddenly fitting into a new, smaller size.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #12  
Warrior Princess

Glad I'm not alone...My body LOVES 150p and it's a constant struggle to stay under that number so a goal of 140p seems impossible at the moment. I won't give up but it's frustrating.

I know my avatar pic shows I'm definitely not fat (I probably even sound ridiculous to those that have a considerable amount of weight to lose) but I FEEL fat. When I sit down I have rolls and I feel them touching eachother. :/ Drives me insane. A few months ago I actually said, "even if I never lost another pound I'm happy". Now I feel almost as crappy about my body as I did when I first started. I agree with whoever said there's a downside to very slow weightloss. Your mind does adjust very quickly.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #13  
Warrior Princess

I guess my biggest gripe is the elasticity of my stomach skin has never been the same since child birth. No matter how much I lose my stomach is like a water bed. I know serious weight training would help but I'm not there yet, I'm still trying to master Jillian.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/143/130

Height: 5'4

ugh body image. I can completely relate. I have days where I think I'm looking great then others where I just feel like I'm 200 pounds again. WHY!?!? Normally, I try to battle those thoughts by remembering how far I've come and accept that my perception of my body is simply not reliable. But I agree with k8- a lot of times I don't even know that I'm actually upset about something else and I just channel it on my body. Lame but it is just good to be aware of it.
Lauracore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

I feel the same way. UGGGG
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote