Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #1  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Considering Going Vegetarian or Vegan

Hi folks. I have had success in the past by cutting out the animal products from my diet. Honestly, my body liked that. I felt so much healthier. I didn't have any icky side effects, had more energy, and it cost less for me to cut out that expensive cheese, eggs, milk, and meat.

However, I've got a little issue that is making me wonder if I can do this. About 6 months ago I had some peanut butter and had a severe asthma attack. This was so weird for me because I've eaten peanut butter all my life and never had a problem. So I went to the doctor, got tested, and sure enough have an allergy to peanuts. So sad! I also am allergic to caffeine so I don't drink sodas or eat chocolate.

What options are out there for protein for people who can't eat peanut butter? I know there's tofu, which I had in a Chinese stir fry last night with veggies and garlic over rice. (It was heavenly and I'll be eating the leftovers for lunch today! My 4 year old liked it too!) Advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I do have a blender and a food processor but I don't have a dehydrator.

Also, do you have any kid-friendly recipes that I can make for my daughter to try? When she was a baby she refused to eat meat and cheese, but as she's gotten older she's fallen into the chicken nuggets and mac-n-cheese trap that her friends have. I'd like to come up with something new to try that she will like that's healthier.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HealthyMeWannabe; 04-01-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: adding info
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

There are many meat substitutes out there. It depends on how far you want to go "meatless", because some of them have eggs in them. However, there is the good old standby of beans, as well as quinoa, which many people here like. There are also a variety of vegetarian and vegan protein shakes for days when you can't get enough protein in (if planned well, veg diets should be ok with protein). The problem mentioned when going veg is b12 deficiency.There are many online resources for people wishing to eat less meat, as far as balanced nutrition goes. But your best bet would probably be to visit a dietician that can advise you as to what you need to know, especially to make sure your kids get what they need. But if you're considering it, why not? That has to be a healthier way of eating for them than the stupid macaroni and chicken nuggets. My niece and nephew practically don't eat much else, and they are overweight and regular food adverse. They won't even try "new" foods, stuff which was rountinely on my plate as a child. It makes me sad, knowing they don't get the benefits of fruit and vegetables, and they are set up for a lifetime of bad eating habits. I am not a vegetarian, but I love fruits and veggies and used to work with a vegan girl. She had creative lunches and a variety of meat free dinner ideas. I admired her perseverance, as that way of eating is very difficult. Good luck!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #3  

I'm not a vegetarian, but if you want a substitute for peanut butter, you might try sunbutter.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

are you allergic to just peanuts or all nuts? there a lot of of various nut butters you can try which taste better than peanut butter (or at least to me! haha) you could also make your own. also, there's cookie butter at trader joe's (don't think there's peanuts in there)
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Any sort of bean or lentil is a good source of protein and iron. I love lentil soups, bean burritos, vegetarian chili, dal, black bean soup, etc. I do eat dairy and eggs still, but not at every meal.

Oh, and I love almond butter.

Last edited by Only Me; 04-01-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #6  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your peanut allergy! If you are not allergic to other nuts, I am going to second the vote for almond butter - SO good! I just bought some more today. Great in smoothies, on apples, just out of the container... (ahem!)

For protein, there is not only tofu, but seitan (wheat gluten), tempeh (fermented soybean cakes), edamame (young soy beans in their whole state)... and all kinds of other choices!

While not everyone is a PETA fan, they do have a very good Vegetarian/Vegan Starter Kit, which you can look at online, or order a print version of.

For kid-friendly veg recipes, VegKitchen has a lot of great ideas! And this vegan mom has an inspiring photo blog too of tasty lunches she makes for her kids...

Good luck, and happy discovering!

p.s. One more great link I just found on going vegetarian is at Zen Habits, with more links at the very bottom after you finish reading.

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 04-05-2012 at 10:21 PM.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #7