Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/199/185

Height: 5'8"

Default Just Some Interesting Observations

Hello all!

My partner and I have been trying to lose weight for about 10 months now and we've had some great successes but there were some very interesting things that I've come to realize.

Like clothing sizes as they pertain to weight. I won't get on any societal soapboxes, but I find it very interesting that we try to gauge a person's health/weight, etc by their pant size.

For example, I'm currently 195 and wear a size 18. I have some junk in the trunk, what can I say? But I know when my partner was at her lowest, 214 lbs, she was wearing a loose 14.

I also read an article once that was talking about a new plus size model, and she was a size 10, I think. Really? That's a plus-size model? I guess I take it literally when they say a plus-size model, I assume they mean someone that is modelling plus-sized clothing, like 16 and above. But they really mean a model that is larger than other models that wear negative sizes.

But for someone just skimming the article, say an impressionable young lady trying to lose weight, just consider the damage to the psyche on that one?

No wonder we have children with eating disorders. First world problems, I suppose, but scary none the less.

I said I wouldn't get on my soapbox, though, so I'll stop now, but I just wanted to share this interesting observation (or two) and see if you guys had any?
Anthym29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

I'm 5'7 and 236 and a size 14. People are built so differently that pant size is really hard to use as a measure of health or to guess the weight of a person XD. Most plus size models are 8-12 if you compare it to the normal size 0-2 model then I guess its plus size, in comparison.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #3  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

Is there a large height difference between you and your partner?

I'm taller than most women, and currently a loose size 12 at 170 lbs. I'm not far away from my newest goal, but I really don't see myself ever becoming a size 4 or 6 in pants. According to the wrist size measurement thing, I'm apparently small-framed, but I feel like it might be tougher for taller people to fit into smaller sizes at various weights, just in general.
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 239/173/155

Height: 6'

Sizing can depend a lot on your body composition. I am around 175 and very tall and wear an 8/10. Just goes to show how everyone is different.
raspberry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Vanity sizing has a huge part in everything. Stores and designers cut their clothing differently all the time. Lots of articles on it. (It's a huge frustration of mine. I have everything from an XS to and XL in my closet, from different stores, and everything fits. Not in a "squeeze into this and suck it in" fits either. It fits normally.)

The reason why 10 is considered plus size is because a 10 today is easily a 14-16 from several years ago. Back then, there weren't sizes like "00" and "0."

People frequently use the example of Marilyn Monroe. Today, she'd be anywhere from a 4-8.
Her measurements:
Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
Weight: 118-140 pounds
Bust: 35-37 inches
Waist: 22-23 inches
Hips: 35-36 inches
Bra size: 36D
http://jezebel.com/5299793/for-the-l...marilyn-monroe

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 09-04-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #6  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

have you guys checked out that website my body gallery? or something like that... It has people submit their weight and height. It really shows you that people are just shaped differently, and that someone can wear smaller jeans or shirt size and be the same weight and height as someone else...It's very interesting!

anthym29: yeah, "plus size" really isn't plus size! I saw ANTM when they had a plus size winner. she was like a size 8, I think
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #7  

I totally agree with that. I was talking with a co-worker today about the exact same thing.

I am one of those people who weigh alot more than they look. I weigh 190ish, give or take 5 pounds, and wear a size 12 (US).

So all you can take from that is that you cannot just focus on your weight number. You need to look at the whole picture and love who you are. Not saying you cannot better yourself, but don't beat yourself up over a number.
Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote