Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #1  

Default Not a good idea to slack off

We had a get together this weekend at my house and well I decided to take a day off of calorie counting I would give myself a day off since I had been doing so good for the past 3 weeks. Well umm my one day converted into two. So yesterday Monday it was kind of hard for me to get back on track. I ended up having a healthy lunch but still didn't do quite well. Well I decided to jump in the scale this morning (tuesday) to see how much "damage" I had made and I gained 3 lbs! Ughh I dislike when I do this to myself!! I've been having a sore throat and it is hard for me to drink my 3 lts of water. And obviously my eating also caused this damage.. Ughh!!!! I just need to vent!
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

What does water have to do with it?

Also - do you think you ate an additional 10,500 calories above your maintinence calories?

My point is I believe you're confusing water gain with fat gain. Then again - perhaps you really did gain 3 lbs of fat. I doubt it though.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #3  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Hey, its a learning experience. U learned what a weekend off plan can do. Back in June we had family from out of state come to town and we were celebrating my bday as well. I ended up going off plan for 4 days and the 2 that followed were mediocre because it took me a couple days to get back into the swing of things. I gained 5 pounds from big family dinners, eating out, drinking, birthday cake and icecream... oh lordy I hate remembering that week. I had just started my diet 2 weeks before and had lost 10 lbs prior to that week only to have 5 lbs boomerang right back at me from my bad choices. I learned celebrating is one thing but I absolutely learned I can't string two bad days together. One party day is fine but not two. I apply the same rule to exercise. One day of rest is ok but I can't have 2 in a row. After 2 or more days sitting on my fanny its just that much harder to get back to my fitness routine.

Last edited by Chubbygirl253; 08-29-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4

As John said, it is unlikely that you put on 3 pounds of FAT in 2 days of less-than stellar dietary choices -- unless you were really packing it in.

If we assume your BMR is say 1,500 calories. (Just a random number) that means that you burn 1,500 calories a day just existing. That doesn't even factor in calories burned by walking, talking, exercising in the gym, doing dishes, etc. Add all of that up, and you get your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). For arguements sake, lets say that number is 2,500 calories.

Knowing that it takes approximately 3,500 calories to gain a pound of fat, you would have had to have eaten (as John mentioned) 10,500 calories IN ADDITION TO your TDEE of 2500 calories in the course of two days. So, for this example, unless you ate 15,500 calories during that time, you did not gain 3 pounds of fat.

I suggest you read the sticky on water weight fluctuation... it will help to put your mind at ease.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305.5/226.8/170

Height: 5'5"

That's a good point that John and Joss mentioned. I'm only recently learning about BMR and TDEE, and it's really eye opening if you know the mechanics of things. Makes it easier to not want to give up when you see fluctuations in the scale.
LebenAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Another reason to think the 3 lbs is water weight is because most likely there was a lot of sodium in the bad foods you ate. There usually is, and that can make a HUGE (luckily temporary!) difference!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote