Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 272.2/261.4/140

Height: 5' 4 3/4"

Default Appetite Suppressant?

I was just curious if anyone else is using an appetite suppressant. My doctor perscribed me one for short term use to jump start my weight loss. Anyone else find them effective? I know some people are really against them, but I'm being monitored closely, have good blood pressure, and am on one that has been in use for 50 years.

Last edited by Tande784; 08-25-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Tande784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I've tried over the counter appetite supressants, but they don't work for me. What does work:
1) cutting out most sugar, including fruit only occasionally
2)cutting out most white flour
3) eating plenty of fiber and protein
4) never drinking diet soda and
5) staying well hydrated.

My appetite drops a great deal when I do even one of these things, and when I follow all four of them I generally have a manageable appetite- one that alerts me to when it's time to eat, not one that controls me.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #3  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
I've tried over the counter appetite supressants, but they don't work for me. What does work:
1) cutting out most sugar, including fruit only occasionally
2)cutting out most white flour
3) eating plenty of fiber and protein
4) never drinking diet soda and
5) staying well hydrated.

My appetite drops a great deal when I do even one of these things, and when I follow all four of them I generally have a manageable appetite- one that alerts me to when it's time to eat, not one that controls me.
Well said Kelly ! I feel the same way . Thanks for sharing !
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #4  

Thank you for the replies! I drink a ton of water and refrain from most white flour (for the last two weeks) What fiber sources do you enjoy? I struggle to get fiber in. I love spinach salads with a ton of veggies, but get tired of it quickly if I eat it more than a few times a week. Do either ofyou notice a difference when you avoid fruit?

Last edited by Tande784; 08-26-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #5  

I like wasa light crackers- not as heavy of a taste and texture as regular wasa, and they're really good with laughing cow 35 calorie cheeses.

For protein, greek yogurt is always good (this is actually one of my few foods with sugar, because I like the ones with fruit on the side) and I also eat it plain with spicy foods, as a dipping sauce.

I also air pop my own popcorn- the machine itself was about $15 from walmart and the popcorn is so light and fluffy that it's worth it. Much fewer calories than a bag, because even the lightest bag uses some sort of oil to pop the corn. Also has fiber- just watch the salt you add.

As for main courses, I love lentils. They're packed with fiber and protein. I lived in India for a while, so I eat a lot of dal (which is a lentil soup, spiced). Bean soups are also good, and sometimes I'll make blackbean hummus a meal- with some veggies and maybe a (whole wheat) toasted pita if I'm feeling willing to have the carbs.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-26-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #6  

Kelly, thanks! I love Greek yogurt and plain popcorn. Ive never had Dal or blackbean hummus though. Is the Dal found in Indian restaurants also healthy? I find I can cook most ethnic food at home (food in general really) and cut calories with a few adjustments w/o sacrificing flavor.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 357/ticker/157

Height: 5'6"

Are you talking about Phentermine? I was on it for a month until we could figure out why I was so hungry all the time. I don't mean cravings; I mean actual hunger, to the point of stomach growling, every HOUR, even after a full meal.

It helped me lose about 15 pounds, but I had to keep my calories at 1800 or lower, and I exercised as usual. Once my doctor figured out I have insulin resistance, thanks to a blood test, he put me on metformin and stopped the phentermine. Once the metformin starts working, my appetite will go down again (appetite was caused by too much insulin in my blood stream).

Anyway, the only side effects I had were dry mouth and insomnia. I took melatonin for the insomnia, and drinking lots and lots of water helped with the dry mouth. It had sort of a bad taste, though, like cotton mouth/morning mouth, so I sucked on a lot of breath mints too.
saltatoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Best appetite suppressant for me is lower carb (no flour, grains, sweets) and followed closely by getting enough sleep.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tande784 View Post
Kelly, thanks! I love Greek yogurt and plain popcorn. Ive never had Dal or blackbean hummus though. Is the Dal found in Indian restaurants also healthy? I find I can cook most ethnic food at home (food in general really) and cut calories with a few adjustments w/o sacrificing flavor.
The restaurants we get in America tend to use a lot of oil or ghee in everything, including the dishes that are usually healthy. They're still slightly better than many of the other dishes you get at an Indian restaurant, but are much more fatty than the ones you would make at home.