Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #1  
~John Wayne~ On:6/21/2012

Height: 5'4"

Default Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Does any one have any thoughts on Omega 3 Fatty Acids? I am wanting to start taking them. I hit the big 4-Oh back in April and am wanting to do something about the wrinkles that don't go away on my forehead. Loosing this weight makes them stand out more than they used to.

Here is a little info on them:
Quote:
An even more powerful approach to preventing wrinkles is to increase the levels of 'good' eicosanoids (PGE3 series) by increasing your intake of Omega 3 fatty acids. Due to their powerful anti-inflammatory actions, these good eicosanoids will do far more to reduce the inflammatory process that leads to wrinkles, than all the fruit acids and vitemin E creams you can possible rub on your skin.
I'm just wondering if they would be ok to start taking.
jwdesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I've been taking fish oil pills since long before I started on IP! And from reading the forums, taking extra Omega-3 supplements can also help with some of the hair loss associated with dropping a lot of weight quickly.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #3  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
Does any one have any thoughts on Omega 3 Fatty Acids? I am wanting to start taking them. I hit the big 4-Oh back in April and am wanting to do something about the wrinkles that don't go away on my forehead. Loosing this weight makes them stand out more than they used to.

Definitely start taking them. I was only on 'IP Proper' a short time before going the alternative product route, but the use of Omega 3 supplements was recommended to me from Day 1. They are very beneficial for your overall good health. Many posters here feel they help to prevent the hair loss that's sometimes associated with fast weight loss.

In fact, I'm editing this message as I went to check my original 'Phase 1 Diet Plan' info sheet - it says right on it that 'Natura Omega 111, Anti-Oxy & Enzymes are strongly recommended in all phases'. IP obviously encourages the taking of Omega 111 supplements - and if it's not the Natura brand, you should get a good quality source from somewhere else.

Totally aside, and nothing to do with dieting... I found out earlier this year that I have very early stage macular degeneration. I'm 61. The opthamologist (sp?) said it was very early stage and all I could do was take special 'eye vitamins'... one key ingredient is Omega 111. Important for eye health, especially as we reach middle age... and beyond.

Last edited by evepet; 08-06-2012 at 10:13 AM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #4  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I take the CVS Brand Omega 3-6-9 supplements in lieu of the Natura Brand, I checked labels and they are comparable.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
I take the CVS Brand Omega 3-6-9 supplements in lieu of the Natura Brand, I checked labels and they are comparable.
Though someone pointed out to me some of the other supplements out there use various sugers as the bulking/binding agents.
celtsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/191/145

Height: 5' 4"

I was on a 3-6-9 that was Fish, Flax and Borage Oils. My coach recommended going on this one that was only Fish. She was concerned that the flax and borage would have carbs. So back to only fish oil.
austintacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 148/144/128

Height: 5'5 and a half.....because the half is so important :)

I've been taking them since day 1 and have had no hair loss. In fact, I think I'm losing less hair now than before IP.

I had been meaning to take them for years as I've always heard they are really good for you.
Julie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #8  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

bump
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post

Since this got bumped, I'd like to share what I've learned.
We need to be very careful about fish oil. If fish oil is rancid (and most sold commercially is) it can hurt more than it helps. Free radical damage, heart disease, etc. Many even have heavy metals! This is very serious. Research if you don't believe me. The easiest way to tell if your fish oil is rancid is to smell the open bottle. Is it fishy smelling? It's rancid. It is just like buying fresh fish. It shouldn't smell fishy.

I researched a couple years ago and found the organization that conducts testing. I will only buy from companies that have their oil tested for purity. There are several. The one I chose offered the best prices, if ordered in bulk. They sell medical-grade Omega 3 fish oil.

Also, 3-6-9 supplements are unnecessary for most people. We only need 3 as most of us have an abundance of Omega 6 & 9, which can cause inflammation if not properly balanced with 3. 6 & 9 are found in vegetable oils. The best sources for 3 are Fish Oil, Wild-Caught fatty fish (like salmon) and grass fed/grass finished meats and eggs.

I learned most of what I know about these supplements from careful internet research (must be careful what you read & don't believe everything) and also from a book recommended by my chiropractor called "Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill".

OOPS! Had some wrong numbers typed above. Fixed in bold!

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-26-2012 at 06:48 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #10  

I would strongly advise you to. As far as wrinkles not sure. I went in for blood wor and my cholesterol was like 65 and the bad was like 75. Once my heart Dr ask if I excersise ha are you joking and I told them about the vitamins I was taken, and this was befor IP. I all so get comments I look alot younger than I am.
newlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #11  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

YUP, start taking them, I have taken them since day one!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Hubby had a heart attack and 3 stents last year (age 55), his doctor put him on Omegas. I, on the other hand have taken them for a few years. I like the MegaRed Krill oil. I have always given them to my dogs, it makes their coat beautiful.. many benefits, but like I tried to tell hubby, you gotta take 'em to get the benefits..... My grandmother always tood the cod liver oil, she lived on her own and healthy until 86 and died in her sleep...she swore by the "oil"
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #13  
lcmd09

S/C/G: 223/172/150

A few years back I saw a GI doc who was pushing low glycemic index foods and anti-inflammatory diet before most people had heard of it. He sold a prescription grade version of Nordic Naturals Omega 3s from his office and they were great...never had fishy belching or aftertaste, and they helped my blood pressure. But I'm always a little skeptical about supplements sold out of a doc's office and whether they are that much better. So you might want to do some research of your own. But the Nordic Naturals brand itself is easy to find. And they make sure the oil is purified and things like mercury and other heavy metals are removed before making them.
lcmd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #14  
lcmd09

S/C/G: 223/172/150

Oh, one very important thing to remember: if you have upcoming surgery, let your doctor know you are taking fish oil. It increases your risk of bleeding, so many surgeons will ask you not to take it for several days before your procedure.
lcmd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmd09 View Post
A few years back I saw a GI doc who was pushing low glycemic index foods and anti-inflammatory diet before most people had heard of it. He sold a prescription grade version of Nordic Naturals Omega 3s from his office and they were great...never had fishy belching or aftertaste, and they helped my blood pressure. But I'm always a little skeptical about supplements sold out of a doc's office and whether they are that much better. So you might want to do some research of your own. But the Nordic Naturals brand itself is easy to find. And they make sure the oil is purified and things like mercury and other heavy metals are removed before making them.
That's one of the ones that came up "clean" in my research!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote