South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #1  
American in UK

S/C/G: 149/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Fruit on Phase 1

Good morning, Beachers!

I know that fruit isn't allowed on phase 1, but I also know that, as a runner, I'm having a hard time running on phase 1. I think I'm going to add fruit that is naturally lower in carbs and sugar like raspberries and blackberries back into my diet but strictly only before I go on a run for fuel.

What do you all think? I really don't want to cheat on phase 1 and I feel guilty about this, but if I can't run efficiently, is it worth it to add a bit back?

I need advice please!
amberconnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

It's only 2 weeks. Me, personally, I wouldn't do it.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #3  
American in UK

Do you run?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

How about adding some beans or yogurt if you need carbs? They are fine on Phase I.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #5  
American in UK

Hi Ruth, I have been eating beans and yogurt but didn't seem to help.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Do you have really bad sweet or carb cravings? If you do, I'd probably skip it and just be easy on yourself exercise wise for a couple of weeks. If you're not too bad with that, then I'd go ahead and have simple carbs just before the run to see if it helps...and then watch yourself for cravings afterwards. I say this in part because you're already at a normal BMI, trying to get thinner, vs. someone with a lot of weight to lose that really needs to get things under control. (I've done this as a not-so-good runner, and I'm okay with it)
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #7  
American in UK

Today, before my run, I had a half cup of berries (raspberries and blackberries) with yogurt. I ran with no trouble at my normal pace and was much happier running today than on Sunday. I've had no real problems today with cravings, but phase 1 is getting a bit harder as it's day 5! Thanks for all the advice, ladies. As I'm only having fruit to fuel my run, I think I'm okay with it. If I see bad results on the scale though, I'll have a rethink!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #8  

Hi Amber,
depends on how much you have to lose, but if running is an essential part of your daily workout routine, you might want to jump to phase 2 right away and you will still lose weight just at a slower pace.
Running on ketones is really hard, so you can either chose to take a little break and continue your phase 1 or go to phase 2 so that you can incorporate some low glycemic fruits and gain some of the energy back. Good luck!
Pinkie Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

Amber - I agree. I kind of stayed on a phase 1.5 all July to try and help the scale budge - and it stopped my running dead. I was trying to become a runner, and I got to the point where I just couldn't progress. So, I found a pre-workout energy snack on a vegan website that I'm going to try. Hopefully just a bite won't set off cravings. I still have 25 lbs to lose, so becoming a runner would be very helpful!

Last edited by CatMat; 08-22-2012 at 08:15 AM.
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:04 AM   #10  
American in UK

Pinkie, I have about 20lbs to lose. Friday was the end of phase 1, week 1 and even with adding fruit before my runs, I lost 6lbs. So, I don't feel guilty at all about having a serving of berries before my runs. They're helpful!

Cat, I don't really think that running and phase 1 go well together! I have until Friday on phase 1 and I'm just going to keep having a small serving of fruit before I go run. Your body needs carbs to run, so I think it's okay (for me) to 'cheat' on this phase. Good luck with your running.