Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #1  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to check in as a semi-long-term maintainer. I know that when I had been on this forum for a while, it would bother me when some posters (who I considered almost like "real-life" friends), would just drop off and we'd never hear from them again.

I realize that I was never a heavy-duty poster, and I didn't really make a lot of friends, but I wanted everyone to know that I've been at this for more than 2 years and I am still maintaining. There is no magic for me. I am still eating right and exercising most every day. It doesn't seem boring or like too much work either. It just seems normal, kind of like brushing my teeth, or taking a shower. It's something I just do every day. I realize that it is the same for many of you.

I still lurk and read a lot of posts, I just don't have a lot to contribute anymore. I am currently training for my 4th marathon on Oct. 7th. I was chosen for the Global Heroes program in Minneapolis, and I am very excited about it.

I hope you're all doing well and carrying on and feeling great. I am. Thanks!

Rhonda

Last edited by milmin2043; 08-23-2012 at 02:28 AM.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Glad to hear you're doing well Rhonda. Please do contribute from time to time if you feel like it. Some of us are struggling more than others with maintenance so it's always a positive reinforcement to hear from someone who is succeeding and has made maintenance a "good habit" like you have.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome, Rhonda and I , too hope you will keep postimg. We, maintainers still need reinforcement and we learn from each other.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Rhonda, you are underestimating the power of your living example. That is, in itself, a huge contribution. Just to show that you've been doing this for two years. And I know I'm not the only one here who'd want to hear about your marathon training. I spent the winter Upstate in the gym with a lot of people training for marathons and they kept me going, even if all I ever plan to run is maybe a 5K on a pretty fall weekend.

Anyone who talks about the joy, the pain or even the humdrum dailiness of maintaining helps us all feel less alone in this lifelong work.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Rhonda,
Great to hear you are doing so well!
What is the Global Heroes program?

Congrats!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Congratulations on being a Global Hero! You deserve that and every other good thing that will doubtlessly happen to you.

Making eating right and exercising something you do daily without thinking about it is ideal - truly LIVING maintenance.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Rhonda, just joined 3FC in May 2012 so I was unfamiliar with your story. Was reading the Maintainer posts (for inspiration!) & found yours. After reading it I went back through your story and was truly amazed.

You ARE an inspiration - NOT just for losing the weight but also for doing so with the health obstacles. Shows there's really no excuses!!

Thank you so much for posting this - you'll never know how many people you inspired by doing so. And Congrats on being a Global Hero!!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #8  

Just went back and read your goal story. I thought you had done a fantastic job by losing 100 pounds but now that I realize what obstacles you had to overcome I am awed.
I will be cheering you on October 7. You ARE a Global Hero.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #9  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Rhonda, you are our local 3fc Global Hero! You, and your story, are an inspiration to us all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Anyone who talks about the joy, the pain or even the humdrum dailiness of maintaining helps us all feel less alone in this lifelong work.
Agreed! I've yet to find maintenance support irl. We need each other!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #10  

Have you checked out our weekly chat or Maintainers Losing by Labor Day ? We all can use all the inspiring stories and ,yes, the humdrum everyday stuff that we must all go through and continue to maintain.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #11  
Running for my life

Thank you so much for all of your lovely comments. I appreciate them all.

Michele-the Global Heroes program is sponsored by Medtronic. They choose 25 runners from around the world who have medical implants who still run. If you are chosen, you are flown to Minneapolis for the Medtronic Marathon, all expenses paid, for 5 days. It won't really be a vacation for me, as I will still have to run the marathon, but it was still a great honor. I think I am the only person who was chosen who has Parkinson's Disease. You can check it out by googling Global Heroes program. I am in the list of the winners for 2012.

saef-I could bore you for hours with tales of my running adventures. I should write a book, or at least a blog. Everything that could happen to me, has happened. I fell during a half marathon on New Year's Day, this year, and cut my eye and needed stitches, and broke my finger. But, a few days later, I was right back out there. I was a lot faster last year. This year, I have been riddled with injuries and I'm happy to just be able to finish what I start. I have had PD for more than 13 years now, and I'm pretty convinced that my running days may be close to over, so I am taking up biking, swimming, and hiking. My muscles aren't responding like they should be if I were healthy.

Bargoo-I think I have adult ADD. I don't seem to be able to concentrate enough to build up time on a permanent forum here. I see something that catches my eye, and I post on it. Then I see something else, and same thing there. However, I've been wanting to give the weekly chat a whirl!

losermom-I need support as well. I'm just one of those people who always thinks I can do this by myself, even though I really can't. It's so much easier when you have people to chat with who can understand your struggles and triumphs.

krampus, mountain mamma, and mudpie-thank you for the encouragement and taking time to write. I love 3fc for this very reason. People will take time out of their busy lives to write such lovely responses. It means so much to me.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #12  
Running for my life

This is the link, for anyone who is interested.

http://www.medtronic.com/2012globalh...ur_heroes.html
Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #13  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Rhonda you rock!!!! 'Nuff said!

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 09-07-2012 at 11:43 AM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote