Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #1  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Default All this food in the house...

So, while I study at a college for the time being, I've continued to live with my parents and my younger brother. Our family has a problem with weight, and all of us are overweight. Well, I'm not even sure how, but we have a ton of food laying around the house. My mom likes to buy things that're on clearance at stores, and then she also likes to cook. While my mom is honestly trying to cut weight as well, my brother and dad aren't, so we still have all the not-so-healthy food.
Is there a better way to resist all these temptations? Most of the time I can put them off, but there are some times when I'm bored, or just because I want to taste the yumminess of the food.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #2  

**Deleted**

Last edited by bipolarpunkgrl; 11-03-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: deleted
bipolarpunkgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

Put the food away where it's out of sight. I have a special cabinet where I put junky type foods others eat in the household. I stay out of that cabinet. If you explain it to your family that you would appreciate a little help with keeping the bad food put up and away out of eyesight, I bet they'd listen. Keep good, healthy foods out for you to see and eat. I have a huge bowl of fruit out on the counter. At the front of the fridge I have all my yummy veggies. Way down in the bottom crisper, out of sight, is their yuck foods.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

For the first bit at least, write down everything you eat. It might keep you from grabbing something blindly just to much.
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

If you are counting calories or points or carbs or anything calculate and track down what you are considering eating BEFORE you eat it.

I count calories and this has helped me alot, I'll think "Ohhh CAKE!" calculate the calories and realize what a dent it'll put in my days calories and suddenly the cake doesn't sound as good anymore.

Sometimes I'll still want it but I'll know what I'm giving up to fit it in.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

Ugh at someone else's house that's hard. Paint your nails, wait out the craving (15-20 minutes), drink water, go for a walk, do jumping jacks, drink coffee or tea, brush your teeth...lots of tricks. I got rid of 90% of the junk food here (but I'm the mom and the only shopper really). The kids don't seem to have a problem with it as much as the husband LOL.
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #7  
Japanese Student

Thanks everyone! I've tried calorie counting and writing stuff down, but eventually I just quit because it was annoying me for some reason. I also would have to guess half the time because my mom cooks all kinds of stuff.
I haven't tried putting stuff out of sight though... might get annoying to everyone else but that could be funny.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

It might be annoying to count calories or to put temptations out of sight (and you obviously have to find what works for you) but it's also annoying to be at a weight your'e not comfortable with. I saw someone on here post something a long time ago and it has helped me some:

watching what you eat is hard, exercising is hard, being fat is hard, pick your hard.

It wasn't exactly like that and maybe someone else can recall the exact quote but it really does help me to sometimes think of it. Best of luck to ya! You can do it! Resist the temptations and think of how awesome you will feel the next day and every day thereafter.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #9  
Japanese Student

Thanks for that amazing quote! You're right, I can't give up!
Grr, why is life so hard!? >.<