Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

Default Sweeteners

Hi! Been hanging out here and on the blogs and was noticing that no one has really mentioned much about sweeteners. I know that particularly on Atkins, you're limited on the types of sweeteners to just Splenda and a handfull of others. Not only in type, but amounts. So, my question is, is there anyone out there using any of the 'natural' sweeteners and having good luck? I tried several of the Stevia products and so far, I really enjoy the Sweetleaf brand. The packets and the liquid drops. Not a huge fan of the Truvia -- it does indeed leave a small cooling effect on my mouth afterwards. So, was just curious to see if anyone else is using any of these sweeteners and what you thought of them or if the 'new' Atkin's book addressed them? Thanks!
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #2  

It's been years since I read the Atkins book so I suppose I'm following his philosophy rather than following his plan to the letter. Still, I've had significant and steady loss over the past 4 months and use both Splenda and Stevia powder. However, I don't use a lot as over time I've lost my craving for sweet things.
firkindness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

Yeah, my cravings for sweets have dropped a lot! And I'm thankful. Not only that, but something doesn't have to be super sweet for it to taste good to me now. Splenda just tends to slow me down for some reason -- I think it's the maltodextrin that they use to 'bulk' it. And since it isn't really calorie or carb free except in tiny amounts, I don't like to use but maybe 4 packs a day. I had used the granular for cooking, but was VERY upset to find that 1 cup on Splenda for baking actually has 96 calories and 24 grams of CARBS! I mean, that's still better than sugar, but WOW. It's not Splenda that has the carbs, but the 'bulker'; aka maltodextrin. So, I was just curious to know if the newer addition of Atkins book mentioned any of the natural sweeteners like the Stevia. I am going to try making some of my protein cookies with the Stevia and see how it turns out. If I can't get a good baking consistency, I'll just quit using the Splenda in drinks and that way I won't be going overboard if I decide to have something else with it in it.
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #4  

I like stevia as sweetener and haven't experienced any of the strange tastes or sensation that people talk about. I've tried Raw Stevia (something like that), Truvia, Domino's stevia/sugar blend, and one from the health food store don't remember the name. I have not done any baking with it, but one site that I read about the more pure stevia extracts not mixed with fillers, suggested mixing your stevia extract with unsweetened apple sauce to make up the lost bulk in recipes. I have only bought stevia locally so I haven't found any yet here without fillers; when I get a little ahead financially I am going to order some pure extract powder. I'll let you know if it works out. I have never in my life found an artificial sweetener that didn't taste or feel strange, either while eating it or after, so I am really impressed with stevia so far. Good luck with your migraines, I have a few family members who suffer terribly and they each have at least a couple unique triggers.
sheski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

Is the pink stuff unacceptable?
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #6  

By 'pink stuff' I assume you mean saccharine, I would assume that any non-calorie, no carb (or super low carb) sweetener is as acceptable as the next for the purpose of counting carbs. Be advised that some artificial sweeteners mimic symptoms similar to MS, my aunts doctor told her she had to stop using artificial sweeteners for some number of weeks before he could be sure of her diagnosis.

I found a reference to stevia in an old version (2000) of Atkins book, almost in passing towards the end in maintenance he suggests using stevia as a sweetener when confronted with cravings. However he did not go into how much was okay or anything like that. I believe this book is a revised version of his 1997 book, so stevia was still getting established in the US and he may not have had extensive information on it. I still haven't scraped up the money for some pure extract, but hopefully next month.

if the link below works it talks about the different sweeteners, not including stevia.
http://www.bami.us/Diet/ArtificialSweeteners.html
sheski is offline   Reply With Quote