Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #1  

Default day 2 and i feel like giving up already!

It's day two of my weight loss journey and i woke up today feeling like I wanted to give up. I'm already craving a pepsi! How can I get pass this? It's only day two and I feel like this!!!! I haven't given up yet! For breakfast I ate two boiled eggs, 3 small turkey sausage links and some cherry tomatoes. I'm trying not to think about food but its consuming my mind!!!!! ughhhh!! Any advice?
kami08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

You know, when a person starts a diet, one of two things can happen: you can experience appetite suppression, where you suddenly aren't hungry very much, OR, your brain can try to trick you into craving things that are on your 'do not eat' list.

If you are serious about losing weight, you just have to ride it out. Sugar cravings will pass (think of it as detoxing as you would detox from nicotine/drugs/alcohol) and it will get easier.

Don't let your reptile brain be the boss of you!

ETA: educating yourself is a great thing to do. I recommend "The End of Overeating" by David Kessler. It's great and very informative about the stuff that happens in your brain when you eat/crave sugary and fatty foods. If you understand what is going on in your brain, it can empower you to resist it.

Last edited by DietVet; 08-20-2012 at 12:26 PM.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

What DietVet said. It's HARD when you go from "sugar throughout the day all day every day to caloric excess" to "amount of food and nutritional balance required to sustain a non-overweight adult." It's like starting all over again every time I go to a party and overeat, or come back from vacation, or anything like that - but it gets easier and you can learn to love bitter greens and chicken breast and eschew Pepsi for nature's candy (fruit) - takes time and whatnot but the results are worth it!!!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

I would add that you make sure you're drinking lots of water. Good luck! It is hard. I recently kicked my diet Pepsi habit. It was HARD. But now, I feel so much better knowing I'm not ingesting all kinds of chemicals.
sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Drink some Diet Pepsi if you need that Pepsi fix. Eat some green vegetables to fill your stomach and take away some of that empy feeling. I'd rather have a few extra calories from some broccoli than to have ordered a large pizza in a weak moment. Get out of the house if possible and/or get busy doing something to take your mind off food. Also, not that you are, but being idle inside your house is just a recipe for a binge. Lastly, make sure that "trigger foods" aren't in the house and they won't be a temptation.

Good luck!

Last edited by tricon7; 08-20-2012 at 01:58 PM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Don't be surprised if you get a headache ... very common.

Also I second you drinking diet soda if you're craving a soda. Dispite what a few well meaning people on this site will tell you a diet soda will not affect your weight loss.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Don't be surprised if you get a headache ... very common.

Also I second you drinking diet soda if you're craving a soda. Dispite what a few well meaning people on this site will tell you a diet soda will not affect your weight loss.
That is true, but I found that even diet sodas contribute to that headachy feeling after a while. But I suppose the op can deal with that after she gets over this yucky hump
sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 153.5/119.4/116

Height: 5'2

Just remember that the first week is always the hardest!
WAHMto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Agree with tricon7 and JohnP. You don't need a caffine withdrawal headache in additon to everything else.

As you have some success with your weight loss, you will probably become more interested in clean eating and getting rid of the "chemicals". Just don't try to do everything at once.

Also, think about adding more veggies to your breakfast. For instance, one cup of steamed stir-fry veggies has 40 calories. I don't love them, but I eat them because they are filling.

I make a breakfast meal with 2 small corn tortillas, topped with two eggs [my eggs are extra small- you might want to use only one large egg], and a pile of the above mentioned veggies with additional onions. Crumble your sausage and mix it into the veggies. I put a measured tablespoon of fat free plain yogurt on top. According to FitDay, my version comes out to just under 300 calories. Of the different things I have tried, this has been the most "long lasting" and it tastes really good - I put hot sauce on it, but you can experiment with seasoning.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged. Also remember, that we 3FCs all have strong opinions [expecially me]. You need to find what works for you.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #10  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

You have received some good advice, but I would also like to add... You just need to tell yourself that giving up is not an option. Every day you "give up" is another day (or more depending on how badly that you blow it) of being overweight. How long do you feel like living in an overweight body? How many more days/months/years do you want to spend potentially miserable? Seriously, a pespi fix is not worth denying yourself of being fit and fabulous. No food is worth being fat... period. Hang in there.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4

^ This. Seriously.

It's so much more than physical. You have to remind yourself of WHY you want to lose weight and use that as your strength to pull from. Not every day is going to be so hard, and not every day is going to be easy either, but every day that you DON'T give up is one day that you are a healthier version of yourself.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #12  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I love diet Pepsi a lot more than regular Pepsi - it's just as good as the sugary kind, in its own way. If you really want a diet drink and it'll help curb some of your cravings, definitely go for it. The beginning is always hard but it DOES GET EASIER, I promise.

BTW I'm one of those people that absolutely cannot do diet drinks. They stall me. Can't even look at them. So, there are some of us that just can't. There are no absolutes in dieting. Some things work for some people, some don't, but everything doesn't work for everyone equally and I cannot have diet soft drinks (or any artificial (or real) sweeteners) or fruit. Yay, lucky me. It's OK though, life goes on.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
BTW I'm one of those people that absolutely cannot do diet drinks. They stall me.
Not to get this thread off track I have sent you a PM.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #14  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

Kami, hang in there! The first few days are by far the hardest. I'm with those that say have a diet pepsi, if it helps you get through the day easier. I didn't find it had any impact on my weight loss but as others have said, we're different and some of us are more sensitive to the artificial sweetner in these drinks. I'd say if you want to ease off of diet soft drinks you could try a gradual approach than the all or nothing. I loved my regular soft drinks (especially orange soda). Once I started drinking all diet, I could't stand the regular soft drinks - too sweet. I eventually lost my regular desire for diet sodas after trading them out for flavored waters and green tea and now they are so strong my eyes water when I drink them (I can usually only have 4-6 ounces and small sips at that). Give it time, your body will adjust. I just wish my body would respond similarly to potato chips and Krispy Kreme doughnuts!

Last edited by Prim2012; 08-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #15  
One Day at a Time

S/C/G: 118/118/110

Height: 5'4"

It's hard to say no to ourselves. We live in a country where we can have what we want when we want. Don't give in, you will be so upset with yourself if you do. Take it one moment at a time, then work on one day, one week.. etc. You CAN do this. You are stronger than your cravings!
smalltownok is offline   Reply With Quote