Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #1  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I'm ditching the scale!!

I hit my goal weight of 135 not long ago, and decided it was time to get to work on the jiggles. I've picked up my hand weights and started doing some workouts I found online, and so far, I've noticed a small difference in the definition in my arms, back and stomach, maybe even in my legs a little...

I have however noticed that when I stepped on the scale for fun the other morning, I was up about 6-7 lb. Granted, my diet hasn't been exactly on point but nowhere near 6-7lb of fat gain.

I do know that I can retain water as a result of weight lifting but correct me if I was given the wrong information, but was told that it would go down when the soreness leaves.

Consequently, I took my measurements and noticed that I have gotten smaller and my clothes fit much better now, and whoever sees me says I keep getting smaller and smaller.

I have decided not to weigh in as much as I used to and to maybe do it twice a month.

I do have a question though, the scale-slave in me REALLY needs to know. Will this go down eventually?

I do know that it is much better to be 140lb and fit, than 135 and skinny fat, but it just hurts to see the number go up

Thanks so much in advance for the answers and I apologize for sounding like a complete newbie. lol

caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

If it's water, it will go down. But your muscles always retain water as they heal: it's part of their process.

Remember though, one of the goals of weight training is to gain muscle (as well as to lose fat). Muscle = weight. At this point, what you really want to see are *gains* on the scale (small ones) and *losses* with your tape measure (big ones!).

And don't be afraid to lift heavy!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #3  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Awesome!

Thanks for that.
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

What she said...when you first start lifting, if you're lifting heavy enough to make a difference, your body freaks out and overcompensates a bit...my weight would shoot up about 7-11 lbs after a full body lifting session, my body was like, "OMG, she's INJURED!" and was bloating me up like crazy. It was hard to see that on the scale, but I just had faith and kept right on training. After about 2 months of steady training, my body got over being shocked at what I was doing to it...now, after a heavy day with big lifts, if I really tear things up, I might get 2 lbs on the scale, and it's gone in a day or two. As for water weight leaving when the soreness leaves, I'm pretty much always sore from some workout or other, so I can't answer that question, lol! Anyway, you're on the right track, focusing more on the tape measure than on the scale. A gal your height, you could be 135-150, depending on your natural build and how lean you keep it, and just be petite in the clothing department, just going by the gals at my gym, and you look in your pic like you're lean enough, so I'd say take the guy's view of scale gains..."it's ALL muscle!"

Last edited by jamsk8r; 08-27-2012 at 02:19 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #5  
Better Posture

S/C/G: 145/125/glutes

Height: 5'6.5''

I really like your approach. I just recently changed my way of thinking in that direction too. For me I want to stay in a healthy weight range and I want to have a healthy approach to food and exercise. And for sure pictures and measurements are what I am going to focus on.

Since I started strength training I weigh around 7 pounds more than I did at my lowest weight, before It was 118 and now around 125. The thing is I fit in all my clothes even some are bigger on my waist and some smaller on my shoulders, something I like because I've always been very pear shaped. And the most important part is that I love how I look now. Before I was very skinny on my upper body and skinny fat in my thighs and butt. Now I look more proportionate, my butt is lifted from all the butt exercises I am doing, my shoulders are broader, my neck don't look gaunt and I have more curves in the right places, so I'm very happy with my progress. Is the weight higher in the scale? Yes, sure, so what? It is a number I only know but it is my image what I am in love with and it is what the rest of the world sees, the rest of the world do not see the scale they see you. For me it is very obvious now that focusing in a number when you are at a low weight is not important. Focusing on body recomposition and healthier approaches to your lifestyle I think is the best way to go now.

I have suggested this FB group before because it really has changed my perspective on weight, body composition and nutrition. It is a group for women that lift weights and follow IF for nutrition. This is the link in case you want to check it out https://www.facebook.com/groups/fiercefitfearless/

In any case, congrats on the weight loss and good luch with the rest of the journey.
carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

good for you!!

I had a similar experience as the ladies above. I got down to 107 and really that was not healthy for me. I ate my way back to 112.

Clothes still fit! In fact some of them are bigger on me. I'm more "solid" now so everything fits better and I can even wear more size 0s. I put on some pants that were tight on me at 107ish and they were now loose!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #7  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

I can't wait to be liberated like this. I've had it in my head for the past 6 months or so, that as soon as I hit my goal of 135, I'll focus on weight training. I know it's sort of ridiculous, but I must see 135 on the scale first. Not 135.4, either. 135. I know a lot of you can relate, you've been there. I know I'll look and feel so much better when I start regularly lifting heavy. I know I'll be stronger, with more energy. I know my clothes will fit better and my saggy skin will tighten more.

I need to see 135 for my own peace of mind, but if I go up a few pounds but look amazing, it'll be a trade off well worth it. I know I'll be relying on 3FC so much more at that point!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydays View Post
I can't wait to be liberated like this. I've had it in my head for the past 6 months or so, that as soon as I hit my goal of 135, I'll focus on weight training. I know it's sort of ridiculous, but I must see 135 on the scale first. Not 135.4, either. 135. I know a lot of you can relate, you've been there. I know I'll look and feel so much better when I start regularly lifting heavy. I know I'll be stronger, with more energy. I know my clothes will fit better and my saggy skin will tighten more.

I need to see 135 for my own peace of mind, but if I go up a few pounds but look amazing, it'll be a trade off well worth it. I know I'll be relying on 3FC so much more at that point!
That is me! I started doing quats and weight training and I gained weight, so i stopped b/c I freaked out. But recently (this week) im going to start weighing myself once a month and measure myself weekly. Im kind of freaking out but its nice not being so crazy about the number on that dang scale! Its kind of freeing!

Last edited by LA85; 10-07-2012 at 12:44 AM.
LA85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #9  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

In agreement !! Scaoe is causing me grief at the moment so concentrating on inches and clothes and keeping the faith !
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/104/103

Height: 5'3.5"

I've been working with weights for over 3 years and when I first started, I gained 8 pounds, overnight! And it did not leave for 6 whole weeks!! I so went into panic mode, at first, but with a lot of research, I learned it was a common occurrence, so I kept pushing forward, and just stayed clear of the scale.

After that 6 week mark, though, I really began to see how my body was changing, so I began taking measurements. When all was said and done, I had lost over 50 inches (top to bottom, evenly) yet waited another month or so to add the scale back in. From that point on...the scale never stopped moving! So, timing of the scale is the key..it doesn't have to be ditched. You will soon love the numbers you'll see!!
Going4Lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

This was so enlightening, and it made me so glad I have decided to take a month off from the scale. Not because I have been obsessive or anything. In fact I am only on day two of getting back in the program of weightloss. I have a rare opportunity here however. For the first time in my life I am embarking on trying to lose the extra pounds that I have allowed to creep up, and I am not doing it with some event or deadline in which I feel I HAVE to be smaller by. Sure I'd enjoy being bikini ready by summer, but there isnt a trip, wedding, reunion, or anything where I want to be down a certain size or into a certain outfit. So I feel that since I am starting a program that emphasizes eating more meals (clean eating) and lifting heavy weights, I have decided that the last thing I need to see is hard work that isn't showing on the scale. I believe in the process I am embarking on and believe that it will get me the lasting results I want and need to feel and look my healthiest and best. Anyways I did weigh today (some renovation on our master bath meant my scale was on the other side of freshly laid tile that couldn't be walked on). SO I had to weigh my starting weight on day 2 instead of 1. But I plan to ignore the scale until december 1st! Also I will be taking measurements today. I know I should take pictures, but I am a little afraid to face that awful truth (I look in mirrors I know how bad it is).
Anyways here's to scale breaks and trusting that weights will give us the bodies we really want!
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote