Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default Spring/Summer 2012 Mamas

I've seen a whole bunch of you out there in the March - June range...anyone want a 3FC support group?

It's amazing how the food pushers come out when you're pregnant! With PCOS, my gestational diabetes risk is really high, so I'm trying to keep an eye on my carb intake. You'd think I was not eating anything by the way people react!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #2  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Just wanted to say CONGRATS Amanda! That's wonderful news, I noticed your ticker a bit earlier, so I wanted to chime in & say congratulations to you both!

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 11-08-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

Yeah I would love a support group!

I am also trying to keep an eye on my carb intake. I have/had PCOS, had gestational diabetes with my first (2005) but controlled it with diet and exercise, and in Mar 2011 my fasting blood sugars were a bit above normal but my A1C was high. Anyway I was able to get my blood sugars under control in about 2 weeks and they have been in the normal range for the past 7 mons. I was never officially diagnosed with diabetes but I know I have a huge increased risk for developing gestational diabetes again. I managed to keep GD away when pregnant with my son (2007) by trying to stick to a lower carb diet and exercising through my pregnancy.

However right now I am in my first trimester (around 6 weeks or so) and the all day sickness is horrible and they things that make me feel better are really crappy foods like plain potato chips and lemonade. It really sucks. I have lost about 4 lbs so far in the last few weeks because of vomiting and nausea. With my son the "morning" sickness lasted till about 16 weeks. I am really hoping it will not last that long this time
Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

Wendalyn - thanks! We're super excited.

Butterflymama - Hooray and congratulations! I am working really hard on controlling carbs and on making sure that when I do eat them, they're balanced with protein and fat. I'm also still keeping up my exercise, although I am utterly EXHAUSTED still (it's my biggest pregnancy symptom - I swear I could sleep 14 hours a day and still feel tired) which makes it difficult sometimes, particularly to do strength training.

I lived on mashed potatoes and gravy for the first 8 weeks or so...you sort of do what you have to do. Get your prenatals down, eat what you can, and plan on getting more complete nutrition in the second trimester. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't take as long to fade this time!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #5  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

mandalinn and butterflymama, congratulations to both of you!! You must be so excited!

I happened to see this thread as one of the most recent posts on the front page and it caught my eye... I am going to beginning my first IVF cycle very soon, and if it works I would have a due date around the end of August. Trying not to get my hopes up too much yet - it will be quite a process, and I won't even know whether this first cycle has worked until the end of December - but I am still hoping I'll be able to join you here sometime in the next few months.

In the meantime, good luck and I hope everything continues to go smoothly for you!!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #6  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone
Congrats on both mandalinn and butterflymama.
Hope I can join I really need some supports.
I don't crave anything - I don't even feel like wanting to eat.
And always exhausted. Even 1 mile walk away the pounds tires me....
Currently, I'm just aiming for balance nutritions with lots of fresh fruits and veggie to avoid obstipation (aw TMI sorry).
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #7  

mandalinn - thanks. Were you able to keep up with your exercise during your first trimester? I have tried to walk a bit but am also exhausted and moving sometimes increases the nausea. I am hoping to make it to aquafit tomorrow night, will see how I feel.

chickadee- thanks. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and hopefully you will be joining us here soon

annita- congratulations! I hear yeah on the exhaustion and the not wanting to eat. How far along are you?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #8  
Moderating Mama

Chickadee - having used assisted reproductive technology to get this one, I really really REALLY am hoping that you get to join us!

Annita - Hello and congrats!

I definitely had to cut my exercise intensity back. Whoever said you can continue with your normal routine in the first tri probably never experienced first trimester fatigue! Weights still wear me out more than anything, but between walking hills on my treadmill and walking the dog, I'm getting maybe 5.5-6.5 miles of walking a day. I was running before I got pregnant, but don't think the impact is a good idea at this point.

On the constipation, try kiwis! They are like my miracle fruit. I eat a kiwi every day with my breakfast and they really keep things moving along. I don't know what I'm going to do when they're no longer available at my farmers market.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #9  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Yay! Thanks for starting this group, Amanda (and CONGRATULATIONS!) It's nice to have support.

I am about 9 weeks pregnant with number 3, due mid-June. The exhaustion in particular gets worse for me with each pregnancy, probably because I still have my other kids to chase around. My oldest is turning 3 on the 21st and my second is 14 months old. Rambunctious boys to the core, those two are. Morning sickness hasn't been worse this time around, but harder to manage. I think because I don't have much opportunity to sit, even when I'm "resting." With 2 toddlers in the house there's not a lot of rest. All the sudden I see the case for putting 5 years in between your kids, instead of the year and a half trend we're on. Haha!

Here's to happy, healthy pregnancies for all of us!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Cool! A group just for us preggo people!

I was thankfully pretty lucky and just had a couple weeks of sickness that totally went away. I also craved a LOT of carbs then...pasta, mashed potatoes, breads, rice...and I'm still kinda anti-veggie. I'm getting back into the swing of things, but it's been slow.

Still working out five days a week, but I've gained 7 pounds regardless. Yuck. And the doctor said weight gain wasn't necessary for me in the first trimester. The way I see it, though, I can gain a pound a week from here on out and still be around the 35 pound mark the doctor set as the upper weight gain limit. Heck, I lost 80 the first time, 40 won't be so bad.

I'm 13 weeks on Saturday, and my only real issue is MASSIVE bloat at night and (TMI) bad gas during the day. First trimester is nearly over!! Crazy to think we'll have a little one in May!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

I'm up 3.5 so far...not great, but not that bad, either. But I am STARVING this week. I could eat a horse.

Gale, I don't know how you do this with 2 kids. I am so sleepy and am barely managing to keep myself fed, clothed, and bathed (not to mention actually doing my job, keeping my house clean, etc). I've been an insomniac for the past 5 years, and that completely vanished at 5 weeks. For now, I sleep like a rock (but I'm sure that as I get less comfortable, that'll change).

I'm forcing myself to work strength training into my day, one exercise at a time. Seems to wear me out less than doing it all in a one hour block. I'll do a set of lunges and a set of bicep curls, then sit for a bit. Keeping the weights next to my desk helps.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/272/165

Height: 5'7.5

First off- Congrats to everyone :]

I'll gladly join! I'm a little bit further than all of you soo far I believe. I'm in my 15th week. Second pregnancy, had a miscarriage last October. Super scared because my due dates are literally only a weeks difference from each other. I'm due May 6th

Glad to e out of the first trimester though. Started at 254, currently sitting at 246.8/247.4 depending on the morning. Looks like i'm gonna start gaining here soon. Lots of retaining again.

I maybe workout like once a week. I take the steps down at work, not up because i work on the fourth floor. Little stuff like that. But even the littlest things exhaust me! Nausea and vomiting has been horrible for me. Basically, it just went away but still comes and goes. Also, just started getting really bad sinuses and headaches- not fun. I've been a whiny baby for a couple days and the bf doesn't like it lol
Old 11-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

My measurements, belly-wise, have only gone up 1/2 inch since I got pregnant. But my pants are fitting SO tight! I've got to go shopping for some sort of pants on Friday, because my jeans aren't cutting it anymore. I may get one more week of wear out of them, but not much more than that!

This REALLY makes me wish I hadn't given all my bigger jeans to the local clothing donation drive!!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #14  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
Still working out five days a week, but I've gained 7 pounds regardless. Yuck. And the doctor said weight gain wasn't necessary for me in the first trimester. The way I see it, though, I can gain a pound a week from here on out and still be around the 35 pound mark the doctor set as the upper weight gain limit. Heck, I lost 80 the first time, 40 won't be so bad.
Mindi - I have noticed a trend with me (a pattern, now that it's happened 3 times): I will gain 7-9 lbs in the first 6 weeks or so for no particular reason. This time around I was still working out and counting my calories. Then, I'll maintain for a while before I start gaining again. It's a little depressing to see 8 lbs in 6 weeks when I'm barely pregnant, but it seems to be the way my body does things. Don't worry about your gain so far, just stay healthy and let your body do its thing. If you're not eating a bag of chocolate a day, you're probably ok.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
My measurements, belly-wise, have only gone up 1/2 inch since I got pregnant. But my pants are fitting SO tight! I've got to go shopping for some sort of pants on Friday, because my jeans aren't cutting it anymore. I may get one more week of wear out of them, but not much more than that!

This REALLY makes me wish I hadn't given all my bigger jeans to the local clothing donation drive!!
I hate that in between stage were your regular pants are too snug and uncomfortable but nowhere ready for mat clothes yet. I am currently living in my yoga pants right now due to bloat and not being able to stand anything remotely tight around my waist.

Anyone having crazy pregnancy dreams? I am having bizarre dreams nightly. The other night I had a dream that my DH took me to a room were a young and very hot LL Cool J was waiting for me to get "busy" and DH was like "Surprise, I arranged this for you" so crazy...
Closed Thread