Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #1  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Angry Going out to bars with friends on LC?

How do you handle maintaining a LC diet if you have friends who just want to go out and drink at bars? Obviously a margarita isn't very low carb friendly, and neither is alcohol consumption in general. I don't even do diet soda anymore. I always feel like I'm encroaching on everyone's good time sipping water.

Oh maybe time to get new friends :P
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I go out to bars with my friends. They don't care what I drink, which is usually 2 Citron and sodas with a splash of cran and a lime. Then I switch to plain seltzer with lime.

If your friends are judging your drinking, then yes it probably is time to get new friends. Real friends don't care.

I also make sure I eat dinner before I go so I don't end up having to eat bar food later.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 23stone/17st11/11stone3

Height: 5'6''

Here are some of the strategies I have used and worked.

First, do NOT go out without preparation. I usually have some high fat item to eat to coat the stomach a bit. Deviled egg, a few meatballs, cubed cheese, that sort of thing. The first drink I have is rum or brandy with a splash of double cream. After that, I can handle a couple of straight drinks, nothing with mixes, just straight up or on the rocks. That is the lowest in carbs.

Not for the reality check. The lower your average carbs are, the less likely you can handle hard booze. The body does not digest alcohol, it goes straight into the blood stream. Yet, for some odd reason, it thinks it is sugar. I don't understand the mechanism (may be worth a search and read) but I do know that I am certainly less tolerant the longer and lower carb I am. I mean it can be as bad as 2 drinks knock me like 4 or 5 would have when I was eating high carb.

So do be careful and find your personal tolerance. Plain, straight booze is the lowest in carbs. But don't let that be your sole guide. Deep dry red wines are also low in carbs, that may be a better option. Alternating a drink with club soda or water is an excellent way to stay hydrated and space the drink out.

Have fun and remember, this is YOUR journey, find what works for YOU!
mysleepingdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #4  

When I go out, I like to have a low carb beer (Michelob Ultra is the best, but not always available - I go with Miller Lite a lot) or a dirty vodka martini. I don't go to bars very often and sometimes feel bad about drinking alcohol, but I don't like to restrict myself too much. Gotta have some fun!

Last edited by odalisque0; 08-06-2012 at 02:10 PM.
odalisque0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I was on hardcore Atkins during my swinging singles days and (sadly) spent A LOT of time out at alcohol-focused functions. I may have been one of the lucky ones, but I never seemed to stall on Jack & Diets or fruit-flavored vodkas and club soda. But I do agree with others that I got drunk much faster and had to really limit my quantity. But most times nobody ever know I was doing low carb. I'd opt for wings as my appetizer (or meal) if we were eating, and focused on carb-free liquor drinks (or the occasional Miller Lite) and still managed a consistent weight loss. I know everyone is different, but I have always felt much less of an annoying person at get-togethers when following low carb versus low fat. SO MANY more "normal" options on low carb. Focus on having fun with your friends and allow yourself the occasional low carb drink option and I think you'll enjoy a longer term success on your LC journey. Best of luck!!

Last edited by davematthewsband; 08-17-2012 at 08:43 AM.
davematthewsband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #6  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

I go with rum and diet coke or a dry red wine like Merlot. The main thing is limiting the consumption so I sip very slowly and supplement with club soda and lime so I don't usually have more than one glass of alcohol.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote