Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:319/RW:257/CW:193.0/GW:140

Height: 5'4"

Default Whine (& cheese party) ;)

I seem to be taking two steps forward and one step back. Last Tuesday, I remember getting up from the toilet and feeling a twinge in my right knee; I didn't think too much about it and continued on my merry way. The knee was a bit sore on Wednesday but not too bad & I did my usual walk on Thursday morning with some discomfort but that went away. Thursday evening the knee was slightly swollen. Friday it was still somewhat swollen and it hurt to walk down stairs. I put an ice pack on it and kept it elevated Friday evening and during the day on Saturday. It felt better on Sunday and much better yesterday. Today, it is swollen again and hurts. I am frustrated beyond belief!!

Has this happened to anyone else?? I have a regular check-up next Tuesday so I will be telling the doctor about it then.

I want to do my usual exercise of walking and/or riding my exercise bike. (ok that just sounded really weird coming from me) Any suggestions? Btw swimming is out because I don't have access to a pool.
sluggerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

The fact that it is swollen and painful is a concern; glad you are going to see a doctor about it soon. What to do in the meantime? You can still do toning work and hand-weights. I think it is more important to rest it a bit right now until you find out what is wrong. Focus on your eating plan for now; you can pick up your exercise routine later on ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #3  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

How are you feeling today? I hope the swelling has gone down some
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #4  

I am happy to report that I am not having any pain in my knee, but it is still slightly swollen. I did some housework this morning and still no pain so keep the fingers crossed that the pain stays away!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Glad it's feeling better. It amazes me how much our knees do, and how easy it is to take them for granted.

Early this summer I was working in the garden. Over-zealous as always early in the season, I overdid it or twisted my knee or something. I have been unable to walk at my normal pace all summer, nor can I hike or bike because I don't have the knee flexion I did before. It hurts to flex more than a normal sitting flex. It's only been in the last week that the exercises, stretches and such I've been doing to fix it have begun feeling like they might be working.

Don't push through injuries. Pamper them a little, or they could stay with you for months instead of weeks. *sigh*
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/188/160

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Sluggerbean....sorry to hear of your knee, and I hope you are feeling better.
Strawberry Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/219/140

Height: 5'5

I've had that happened to me 4 of years ago due to a knee injury (kinda funny now that i think of it, out at the bar with a few friends of mine, stepped through the door to go outside and BAM just fell on my knee's lol), anyways a little while later it had gotten very swollen and very painful, so much that I had gone to emerg to get it checked out. It was due to fluid in the knee which was a result of that injury i had sustained. I saw my doctor a couple of days afterwards and there wasn't much to do but try to drain the fluid naturally with some anti-inflamatories, and if that didn't work it would have had to have been drained by hand. Then just a couple of years ago it had swollen up again, so back to the doctor for x-rays and such, I can't remember the name of the condition my knee has, but i'm not in pain anymore since i've been losing some weight and taking some pressure off my knee's by doing so.

I hope you still talk to your doctor about it
MizMelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #8  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

So Peggy what did the doctor say about your knee? Are you still doing ok?
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #9  

Belinda, I go to the doctor tomorrow. I will definitely let everyone know what he says.

Yesterday, absolutely no swelling or pain. As it was Sunday and my usual rest day, I didn't do any exercise. This morning, again no swelling or pain!! So I went for my usual walk and completed 2.66 miles in 41 minutes. I still have no pain or swelling!!

I got to looking in my brand new nursing books and I think I was having a gout attack. I have been diagnosed with it and it usually affects my left ankle. I will bring this up with my doctor tomorrow. Anyone else have gout and have something like this happen?

Until tomorrow...Laters!!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #10  

Default And the doctor said...

I had an attack of gout. NO INJURY!!! Thank the Lord! He gave me a standing order so that if it happens again I can go in and pee in the cup to check my uric acid level and get treatment.

He also was very impressed with the 14 pound loss from the time I saw him last month until today.

The blood work results were great as well and I don't have to go back until February!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #11  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggerbean View Post
He also was very impressed with the 14 pound loss from the time I saw him last month until today.

I am glad that is was not anything more serious! Also look at you diagnosising yourself correctly! You are going to be a wonderful NURSE!
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote