South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 09:30 AM   #1  

Default Alcohol and SBD

When i was in the hospital, one of the ICU nurses who is on Atkins, told me about this drinkie. she says that it's good and has no carbs (?). I can't help but wonder about that. She mixes vodka with Crystal Lite or sugar-free Kool-aid.

What do you all think?

I suppose it's better than some drinks, but I have to question if the alcohol isn't converted into sugar and then into carbs in the body.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:42 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The alcohol is burned first by the body which means you won't be burning fat or carbs which will slow your weightloss.

You know my feelings on booze, Tip. I think my liver is marinated in Scotch.

Glad to see you back and posting. We wuz askairt for ya!
Old 09-04-2003, 10:34 AM   #3  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

I'd rather have the scotch and skip the crystal light or cool aid!!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 04:34 PM   #4  

The good Dr. says only red wine. Vodka is made from potatoes ...
Old 09-04-2003, 05:00 PM   #5  

Default You're right, Tippy

Once alcohol is metabolized, our body sees it as sugar. (My terminology may not be correct, but the sentiment is good.)

It sounds to me like the nurse had found a way to rationalize her drinking . . .

But that's just IMHO. (Or, as I like to say, in my NOT so humble opinion!)

Tricia
Old 09-04-2003, 05:04 PM   #6  

I get sick of wine and don't always want that. I drink rum and diet coke or flavored vodka and soda water also. They have no carbs and are lower in sugar than many other drinks. This is supposed to be a plan you can live with and I cannot live on red wine alone, too boring!

I have been on P2 for 2 weeks now and I am losing 1-2 pounds per week even with the drinking. Moderation is the key I think. I am certainly not drinking wine for the rest of my life! :-)

Heidi
Old 09-05-2003, 01:17 AM   #7  
Work in Progress

Tonight I had a wonderrful glass of Petit Syrah from Bonny Doon Vineyard. It was like heaven, worth it if it stalls me a day or so!! I am still on Phase 1, but is was a good friends birthday. I just love wine, and I am so glad that we can still have it on SBD.

I just had soup, salmon and veggies and three small bites of brioche. I was bummed that I had to stray on Phase 1, but I also think that if I going to do this forever, then if I deprive myself of nights like this, then I don't think that I can look at this as a WOL.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:33 AM   #8  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Rowan, you are exactly right. In order to make this a WOL and not just a diet, your attitude has to be that you will make the best possible choices the bulk of the time, and the rest of the time...."oh well"

Glad you enjoyed your wine! I haven't had any in ages. I prefer white over red most of the time, so I haven't been too tempted by the idea of red.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:54 AM   #9  
Mous

This is YOUR plan.

Dr. A says NO to it, but find what works for you.
If you want a drink, I say have one, but then don't forget if you weigh more, have a binge it is from the SUGAR in the drink.
If it is a once in a while drink, figure that into YOUR plan.

You have to do what makes you happy and what is best for your WOT and WOL.

Think before you act and ask, do I really want this drink?

Lady
Old 09-05-2003, 04:59 PM   #10  

Question No alcohol, no sleep!

Hi to all,

This is my first post and I just love this site. All the support is amazing.

I've just started SBD and have found without my evening cocktail I do not sleep! I've tried Excedrin PM, Sleepy Time Tea, warm baths all to no avail. I get up early and work a long stress filled day so a good night's rest is vital.

I would appreciate any hints and advice you have to offer.

For now, I'm Sleepless in Seattle!
Old 09-05-2003, 05:04 PM   #11  

Bluesie,
Welcome to the beach. Sounds like you are really over-stressed. Have you worked exercise into your regime? That might help, especially if you do it in the evening. It might make you just tired enough to fall asleep without alcohol.
koalabear
Old 09-05-2003, 05:12 PM   #12  

Thanks Koalabear
I actually do exercise and due to my schedule it's at the end of my work day. I go to a little gym walk several miles on the treadmill and do 6 or 7 weight resisting machines.

I am stressed, I employ over 150 people in the property managment industry primarily apartment management. Lots of strange occurences on a daily basis, but 90% of my job is keeping our team motivated.

Any other thoughts? Perhaps it's just getting used to it. I had one or two drinks in an evening so I know it's not withdrawal!

Sleepless
Old 09-05-2003, 05:24 PM   #13  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Blusie, I have had the same problem. I work nights as a 9-1-1 operator, which can be very stressful. I used to work out after I got off in the morning, but then I couldn't sleep. So of course the workouts went away! I finally rearranged my schedule and now get up early and get my work out in....now by 8am I am ready to sleep...no more problems getting my zzzzz's!

While alcohol may help you FALL asleep, it atcually has a negative impact on the QUALITY of sleep as it disrupts REM as it is metabolized. Just some food (or drink!) for thought!

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2003, 08:27 PM   #14  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Calms Forte.....It is little tablets and you can buy it in health food stores. Calms you down enough that you can slip off into dreamland!!! (It is a mixture of different herbs, and is not habit forming)
Old 09-05-2003, 09:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Just adding to the comment about alcohol.

My husband is diabetic and we went through nutritional training for it when we first found out. We were told that alcohol such as whiskey, rum, vodka, etc. does not impact the blood sugar. That this type of alcohol acts like a fat in the bloodstream. The worst kinds of alcohol for diabetics is wine and beer per the nutritionist.

His doctor confirmed it. Just an additional two-cents.
Closed Thread