Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #1  
Started IPD 6-19-12

S/C/G: 316/298/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Ideal Protein and Vacations

I have a vacation coming up in October and I'm wondering how to handle it.
I know a lot of you phase off for vacations which I think is a really good idea, because I am feeling somewhat deprived and like the idea of taking a break. But, I'm very concerned about getting back on track - I know this can be a slippery slope.

How have you handled vacations, and what advice do you have about managing the diet while on vacation?

Thanks so much for all your wonderful wisdom!
Barb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi Barb,
I did do a mini-phase off for a vacation. I gained 6 pounds on vacation but lost 7 my first week back on plan. I found myself eating night time meals that were very comprable to IP meals. I drank lots and lots of water but I did indulge in alcohol, pizza, sweets, bacon, all the things that we are not allowed on the plan. I was able to successfully restart right after my vacation it wasn't until this summer rolled around that I had some major stumbles.
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #3  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

i have had 2 holidays since starting and i choose to stay 100% OP for both and am happy i did as i lost over 4 pounds each time!! i figured that next year i will have vacations without IP restrictions....but since i started this, i need to stay on mission! why tempt that slippery slope??

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 08-08-2012 at 09:25 AM.
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
i have had 2 holidays since starting and i choose to stay 100% OP for both and am happy i did as i lost over 4 pounds each time!! i figured that next year i will have vacations without IP restrictions....but since i started this, i need to stay on mission! why tempt that slippery slope??
In my case I was travelling out of the country for two weeks and would have encountered issues with bringing in food. In addition, I was staying at an all inclusive resort where I would not have had any food prep facilities. With that being said, I have had long weekends and "mini vacations" where I was able to pack my foods and prepare things that were OP. We camp and trail ride several times a month and I am still able to keep that OP.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

Glad you posted this. Part of why I started IP was to be in better shape for my vacation in October. We'll be on a cruise and I do plan to go off plan for that week, getting right back on track when we return until I get to goal. As I get further into this though, I'm feeling like my habits have changed enough that I won't go completely crazy on the cruise. But, I'm going to have what I want and face the consequences when I get back. For better or worse!
rcrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #6  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMolly View Post
In my case I was travelling out of the country for two weeks and would have encountered issues with bringing in food. In addition, I was staying at an all inclusive resort where I would not have had any food prep facilities. With that being said, I have had long weekends and "mini vacations" where I was able to pack my foods and prepare things that were OP. We camp and trail ride several times a month and I am still able to keep that OP.
i know what you mean about traveling abroad, as 23 days of my holiday were spent in england. i was able to bring all my dry packets with no problem. i even used my packets on the airplane woot woot!! it took a lot of advanced planning but it was so worth it to me! during that time i lost nearly 15 pounds!!

phasing off is a good plan for some...and staying 100% is a good plan for some. its not a competition. everyone can decide what is best for them.
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #7  

Quote:
i know what you mean about traveling abroad, as 23 days of my holiday were spent in england. i was able to bring all my dry packets with no problem. i even used my packets on the airplane woot woot!! it took a lot of advanced planning but it was so worth it to me! during that time i lost nearly 15 pounds!!

phasing off is a good plan for some...and staying 100% is a good plan for some. its not a competition. everyone can decide what is best for them.
CONGRATS!!!!!! I think it is so helpful for everyone to see what can and has been done with/on the program. Had you had your holiday prior to mine, I may have asked you how to travel with IP abroad. I'm sure there will be other who can benefit from your experience.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

I have had no troubles brining ip dry foods in my suitcase. I try to bring oatmeal and crispy cereal for breakfast. I have bars for snacks.

Depending where I have gone I have just done phase 2 if I was eating all my meals out, or gone off and just tried to stay low carb.

Have your ip food ready to go when you return. You will be hungry again for the first few days, but depending on what you choose to eat while away you will probably be happy to get back on it as higher carb food seems to make most people bloated and retaining water.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

If you decide to phase off (I did) just have it in your mind that you're back 100% when you get back...I'm in maintenance and I'm off to Scotland in a few weeks but I'm taking a packets and bars with me so I have some healthy quick food options to lessen the damage and I'm going to Phase 1 as soon as I'm back to 'nip it in the bud'.

When I went to Mexico, my rule was I was 'on break' when the plane lifted off Canadian soil and back on 100% when the plane landed on Canadian soil. I just didn't want to ruin all the hard work I put into losing my weight by taking a holiday...same rules apply in maintenance.

Make a rule in your head when you're back on (don't take too long to get) and think "ok, 100%, lets git 'r dun!"

Good luck! You can do it! You have lots of time to mentally prepare
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #10  
started IP Aug 7 2012

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Well said
zoological26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #11  
Started IP 6/15/012

S/C/G: 150/133.5/125

Height: 5'5.5"

I am heading to New Mexico next week and have no cooking or heating options..so I am taking so of the drink mixes to add to water,bars and some of the walden farms individual serving packets of dressing,etc. That way i keep keep on track as much as possible.
follyb girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #12  
Started IPD 6-19-12

S/C/G: 316/298/175

Thank you all for your input. It sure does help to have your experience to rely upon. There is no way I'd be where I'm at with this diet without you all.
Barb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 245/209/180

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm taking a vac in Sept.

This thread has helped me make my mind up, to "take a wk. off" while on vac. I know my stomach has probably shrunk enough, to not have the appetite, to over-endulge. So I'm confident I can get OP when I return. This is what I've planned, just now! thanks for all the comments.
ShoBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/191/145

Height: 5' 4"

I spoke to my coach again this week about my trip to Belize in 2 weeks. I have done so well my first 2 weeks (16# and 11") and am torn with just having fun. She suggested that I try to select my vacation meals as if i was on phase 4 of IP (avoid mixing meals that are both carb and fat). I am going to avoid wine and beer, and stick with alcohol w/o mixers. I am planning on taking a IP drink mix for each day. She also said any weight i may gain would come off the next week.
austintacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 145/124.8/120

Height: 5'2.5"

I'm going to Dallas in September and to Jamaica at the end of October. Jamaica was my whole motivation for IP (and there was someone who gave me inspiration). I don't think I can take food to Jamaica. I am phasing off before then, but no matter what, unless I avoid the free for all mentality I've had in the past, I don't see how I can be successful. And when I get home, I will be tightening things up. I have to give myself a vacation END and make it happen.
locopollo is offline   Reply With Quote