Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Running vs walking and hunger

Dh and I were walking 4 miles a day, 6 days a week. we recently added some running (well, jogging) of 3 miles for 3 of those days. On the running days, I am not hungry at all. I don't have cravings and it's easy to stay within my calories. On walking days, I feel my normal, slightly uncomfortable hunger all day long. What gives? Has anyone experienced this?
sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

It's a funny thing. For some people exercise is an appetite suppressant, for others, it increases hunger. Count yourself lucky to be in the suppressant camp. I am ravenously hungry after vigorous exercise--particularly when I'm returning to it after a break.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #3  

Well, I think I may have posted too soon because I ran today and was starving all day! Darn!
sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 287/249.6/179

Im so jealous of my sister because running suppresses her hungry and it makes me completely ravenous. I just want to eat everything and anything after running. I found drinking a low-cal gatorade helps a lot, but not totally.
katiekish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

For the love, don't try swimming!

There's a lot of studies that say increased body temperature when exercising increases the biologically induced appetite suppressant. However, if you exercise and your body temperature remains lower, it's not activated (hence the ravenous appetite). When you swim, it's almost ALWAYS lower (because of the water temp) so a lot of people report being starving after swimming.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Intense exercise like running makes me ravenous. Walking, even if it's further in distance, doesn't have the same effect. That's why I've waited until I lost most of the weight I want to lose before I started up running regularly (more than once or twice per month) again. Now I need to really watch myself to make sure I maintain what I've already lost as I ramp up my running distance.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #7  
3rd time's a charm!

S/C/G: 320/295/130

Height: 5'7"

Interesting. I'm not hungry after running or other workouts, but swimming leaves me feeling empty and sickly - as if I need food.
Espressowhip is offline   Reply With Quote