Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

Default Struggling Mentally these past few days. Help?

SO basically, i have been eating low carb/ high protein for almost 5 weeks. I am so proud of how far I have come, and for my success. I went from one pair of size 14 pants that fit, to several pairs of 11s and 12s that I haven't been able to wear in 3 years! I have more pants from before then that are size 8s and those are my goal. I have just been plugging along, and the past 4 weeks have been a BREEZE! like saying no to people when they offer me food, no cravings, none of that has been a problem! I have only eaten off plan ONE time, and it was TOM and i had 2 dove chocolates, and that was in week 2.

These past probably 4 ish days, every day, basically every HOUR I am having to remind myself that I have come so far, that I will not give up, keeping myself busy so that my thoughts don't roam to food and binging... I haven't given in, and I don't think I will because I am mentally strong. But let me tell you, these last few days have left me emotionally and mentally exhausted from all this exercise of willpower and commitment!! any of you been here, and have some advice to stop these obsessive thoughts over food??

Last edited by KatieBug; 08-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

My first thought is that your regimen may be a little too restrictive, if you consider 2 Dove chocolates a cheat. It's true that some people do well with tight rules, but it sounds like you're creating some kind of psychologic deficit. For my part, I do much better with regular small indulgences than with extreme regimentation. The key to such indulgences is to plan them. (I no longer plan as much now that I'm in maintenance, but the more planning the better, IMO.)

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

No I think you are right! Maybe I have been too strict! Usually I'm not so crazy, I guess I just went a little OCD on discipline because I got back to school in 2 weeks for my senior year and I wanted to look my best, and I think I might have taken it too far! I think I need to treat myself occasionally to keep myself going! I like the idea of having a planned cheat, because then its scheduled and its something you can look forward to. Thank you so much for your advice! Ps I noticed we are almost the same height and starting weight. What size are you now at 140? I have a small frame (I'm assuming you do too) and I have never been below 160 so I have no idea what size I'd be at 145?
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on your success!

A few things I've learned over the years. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

No food is ever off limits for me. There are some things, I don't eat very often, and then in proper portions, but I don't deny myself.

I have found, that as long as I eat on plan,(lifetime WW member) most of the time, and get in my workouts, and a minimum of 10000 steps a day, an indulgence now and then, or an unexpected, and uncontrollable food situation is not a big deal.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #5  
Workin for a New ankle

S/C/G: 256.8/ticker/155

Height: 5'7.5"

I'm just gonna throw this out there... Are you approaching your time of the month? Cause I am and I feel the same way as you and I have gained 2 lbs...
Puffyamiyumifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Five weeks was a danger zone for me. I was never a chronic dieter, but the two times that I did diet, I stopped at five weeks -- at the point that dieting didn't feel new anymore and something more interesting came along.

This time, I was determined that I am making permanent lifestyle changes. Here's what helped:
  • recognizing that 5 weeks is a danger time
  • recognizing what new thing was coming up that might derail me (for me it was NaNoWriMo 2009. For you, the new school year -- senior year, woohoo!)
  • planning, planning, planning -- at night, I wrote my food plan and my to do list for the next day. No matter that things always veer from the plan -- having a plan helps anyway.
  • distractions, which you said you're doing. At tough times, I even allow myself distractions that I wouldn't otherwise. Any distraction is better than overeating including computer games that are almost as addictive as food to me. Better distractions for me: planning a trip, any kind of long-term planning, pursuing new career paths, and all the research that goes along with those things

You're doing great! Keep plugging along because this is all cyclical. It will get better. It will get worse, again, too, but next time you'll have more tricks in your bag for how to handle it until it gets better again.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 08-05-2012 at 09:07 AM.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #7  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I just looked at your stats, KatieBug! You really are doing great!

Another thing you might want to consider right now, as a terrific distraction, is whether you have your goal weight set where you really want it. What if you are at your goal weight?

What if it's time to keep your diet at maintenance level and start focusing on getting strong and fit? Don't think you need to get back to some weight you were as a girl. You're a woman now, you may need to be at a woman's weight.

Stand tall and proud. If you aren't getting a full mix of cardio, strengthening, and stretching or yoga, then throw something new into your regime.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBug View Post
What size are you now at 140?
Sizes are kinda meaningless these days (at least in Toronto, where I live). I have clothes that fit me perfectly right now ranging from size extra-small to extra-large. I suppose my most common pants size is a 6 and top size a medium, but there's enormous variation. Some people on this board have suggested my current weight may be too low for 5'11", but I assure you I don't look scrawny and feel very good at this weight.

You're doing great. Keep going and keep planning. You know what they say around here: failing to plan is planning to fail. Which I know you're not going to do!

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote