Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #1  

Smile Newbie with a few questions

Hello, all--

My name is AvaMarie, and I am a new member. I have read some of your posts thus far, and wonder if you would mind providing a bit of advice:

Do any of you have an inexpensive or free WL program you follow? I have been attending WW, but am in the process of filing for disability and have no income, so to continue on WW isn't really an option. I signed up with them b/c my insurance will cover Lap Band surgery if I go to WW for six months and my BMI is 35 or higher, but if I lose 20 pounds (which I think is reasonable in six months, yes?), my BMI will be "too low" to qualify me for surgery. Plus, I "only" have about 80 pounds to lose, so I doubt they would agree to pay for WL surgery.

That said, I decided to join 3FC to get ideas on what I can do on my own. My youngest is in college, so I don't "have" to have ice cream or snacks in the house (read: he took away my excuses when he moved on-campus!). I eat small amounts of turkey or chicken, but am basically a vegetarian. I drink a lot of protein drinks to keep my protein intake up, and add a scoop of vitamin powder.

I have run the gamut from being anorexic to being obese in my life; I was slim for the first 30 years, and have been overweight for the past 20 years (after having my sons). I suspect some of the medications I am on might hinder WL, but I DO NOT want to add Insulin to my list of meds, having been diagnosed as "pre-diabetic".

I genuinely appreciate any and all advice, and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Cheers,
AvaMarie
AvaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Calorie counting is free.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

Hi AvaMarie, welcome! I'm counting calories, and it's been a great no-cost way for me to lose weight. There's a calorie counting section at 3FC and some of the "stickies" at the top of the calorie counting forum can help you get started. Best to you!
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

I agree! Calorie counting is free and really simple. There are tons of amazing apps (if you have a smart phone) and websites that will help you calculate how much you 'should' be eating as well as help you keep track of what you've had that day.
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Add me to the chorus of people who've successfully used calorie counting. Weight loss need not be costly or complicated! I keep it as simple as possible and have no rules beyond loosely counting my calories (which is another way of saying eating in moderation). If you're reasonably disciplined, that's all you need.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Go to your local library and get some books on the subject. I recommend two books by Anne M. Fletcher, Thin for Life and Eating Thin for Life. I also like The EatingWell Diet by Dr. Jean Harvey-Berino, Ph.D., RD, and Small Changes Big Results by Ellie Krieger, MS, RD.. There is The Volumetrics Weight Control Plan by Barbara Rolls, Ph.D. and Robert A Barnett. Your can also get the Mediterranean/Sonoma diet cookbooks as well as many others from the library. If they don't have what you want on the shelf, you can ask the librarian to get it for you from another library. Also, our library has back issues of magazines for $.25 each. Sometime they have EatingWell, Cooking Light and the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazines. All of the above provide inspiration and motivation. Personally, I think they are all really about calorie counting even though they may call it something different. You can get an idea of what kind of calorie counting you want to do.

Last edited by gailr42; 08-02-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: left out a word
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/130 mini goal 228

Height: 5'6"

I definitely agree with calorie counting! There's a whole section here on 3FC just for it.
MyLilSweetPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #8  

Wow, thank you all SO MUCH for your replies -- I truly appreciate them!!

I am especially glad to know that I CAN lose weight without spending money, and will definitely check out the 3FC calorie counting info and the recommended books.

Again, MANY thanks!!

AvaMarie
Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #9  
m3k
One LB at a time...

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome!

I currently am doing Weight Watchers Online. I needed the payment to be motivated. However, due to financial reasons as well, I probably will not continue paying for the service.

I find that WW is a really nice alternative to calorie counting, but can definitely be done without paying for the meetings or the online service. There are lots of people that do it this way, and so if you like how WW works, I would suggest checking out the thread on this forum. There are many resources on the internet as well to be able to track points, research points, etc, without having to pay.

That being said, calorie counting is easier for most, and a very good percentage of the people here do that. Weight loss is mostly calories in vs. calories burned, so the calorie counting strategy is tried and true.

It's all about what you can keep up with, and this is certainly the place to be for motivation. Good luck!
m3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Lap band should be a last resort. I'd advise against it for many reasons the primary one being that it doesn't stop you from regaining weight lost it only makes it more difficult.

You're fortunate to have found this site.

To answer your question I am a fan of counting calories for any diet plan one follows because calories determine fat loss or gain - not the specific foods one eats.

That said most people find weight loss easier when eating lean proteins, lots of veggies, and a limited amount of fruit. Being on a limited budget does make things tougher because processed foods give you more per calorie than whole foods but it makes fat loss easier for a number of reasons to ditch the processed foods and limit the carb intake to those found in vegtables and limited fruits.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 153.5/119.4/116

Height: 5'2

I am another for calorie counting! I use My Fitness Pal and LOVE it! Very easy to track and take with me (great app).
WAHMto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I lost 190 pounds for free, and have maintained that loss, for free by counting calories. I vowed a long time ago that I would never spend another dime to lose weight. Yay, free is good!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

I do calorie counting paired with The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet by Dr. Heller and Heller. You can get the book on amazon for about $5.00
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #14  

Thanks again...you all look fabulous!

JohnP, I think you might live near my hometown of Castro Valley...cool area. Lap band would def be a last resort, and one I would prefer to avoid. I am cleaning up my diet and DO splurge on good, healthy (preferably organic) food, and now I have this site to give me the pieces of the puzzle I have been missing...thanks so much!

WAHMto5 -- Sunny Georgia is right -- we are wilting here in Atlanta this summer.

Lori Bell, I am in awe -- what else can I say? You look amazing.

ikesgirl80, you also look stunning, and I will definitely check out those books; I love Dr. Heller's works (both of them).

All of you are SUCH a great encouragement!

Cheers,
Ava
Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #15  

Hi Ava, Welcome. All I can say is keep yourself busy, change your food intake perhaps count calories. Excersice and come here for support. Good luck!
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote