Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #1  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Default AUGUST RUNNING - baby we were born to run

Hello runners!

New month = new thread. I'll start us off.

I did one of my longer half marathon training runs last night. I hit 8.25 miles again which I felt good about but my pace overall was 9:11/mile [Hoping to be closer to 9/mile but oh well].

Glad I got it in as I was honestly dreading it. I love running & pushing myself but I hating feeling like I HAVE to run a certain distance so this might be my one and only half marathon - can't say for sure though I could become hooked like my mud runs!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #2  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Good Aug. everyone! Just got my 6 miles in did it an hour and 45 sec just couldn't speed it up,but am gaining on it! Its 8 am and 80 already. Have got 5 loaves of Zuchinni bread baked ,the dog walked 2 miles and my run in.....Ready for the rest of the day have to do errands in town 45 min drive away.
I just read about a 5k in our neighboring town on Sat....BUT it does not start until 9am you can tell none of them run. Its all out in the open sun and will be 85 plus by then. Not sure I will do it {they call it a fun run???Does not sound fun give me a 6am start now thats FUN!

Im: Thanks for taking on the thread, I know the have to run thing it more fun to do it cause you just WANNA! I think I would really like the mud run thing too.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #3  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Hi folks! May I join you? I am not really considered a runner yet but I want to be! I've attempted C25K a couple of times and find that I am doing better on my own rather than a regimented running program.

Even though I still have a LONG way to go in my weight loss journey, I can run 1/4 mile, which is an accomplishment for me. I's like to see if by the end of August I can run a mile. It's a mini goal I have in my head. Let's make it happen!

My office has a gym and I go upstairs on my lunch break and work out a few times a week. Todau I'm going up there and going to try to run 0.30 miles, which will me further than I've run before. I am looking forward to reaching my goal of running a mile by the end of the month! Then I'll work my way up to more!
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #4  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

After doing the half marathon sunday I am all into running again. But I will keep rest till atleast saturday before I run. Gonna go swimming tomorrow and cycling some.

Anyhow, It's been 2 and a half days since the run and even though I was not perfectly trained for it I have had only 1 day of serious muscle pain in my thighs, it's already way less and almost gone. I feel no other injuries. I am amazed at how fit my body is. Given that I did not run a year ago. Nor did I do any other exercise. Hihi.

So I was forsaking the running a bit because cycling is more fun, but after doing the HM I am all excited about the possibilites again. If I can run a HM in 2h30, I should be able to push myself enough to do 5k in 25mins. And 10k in 60mins. So those are my next goals. Improve in speed. And run another HM again in about a month or so.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #5  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Ran two miles this morning.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #6  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Today at lunch break I ran 0.34 miles. That 0.04 more than yesterday, I am inching closer to that mile!
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Good job, all! I did an easy 5 miler today to save my legs for the 10K on Saturday. It is supposed to be hot and humid, but it starts at 9 and I love the heat so hopefully it will go well!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #8  
WC

Ran 4 miles tonight with a friend after lifting. Our average pace was eight minutes 30 seconds which wasn't bad as it's humid and hot. I feel like we pushed each other which was great but I'm used to running with music and I definitely missed that...

Good luck on your race cherry please tell us how you do!

Phil: I don't think you'll have any problem reaching those 5K and 10K times.

Good work healthy keep pushing!

Deva - I know how you feel about late a.m. runs! I had a 10k supposed to start at 8:30 and it was an hour delayed - I just sat there watching the heat index rise! So annoying.

Have a great night all!

Last edited by lm3898; 08-03-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/145

Height: 5'9"

Good luck CherryPie!

I am running my first race longer than a 5k this weekend, a 5 mile trail race.

The only thing that might mess me up is that I have some residual soreness from a super-challenging backpacking trip that ended yesterday. We hiked 30 miles over 3 days with full packs over some really challenging terrain. Lots of rock climbing, lots of up and down, lots of uneven ground.
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #10  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Ran 3.2 miles this morning. Feeling amazing. When I get more comfortable running 3 miles, I'll up it a little bit.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #11  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Great job by everyone you all impress me and inspire me on...just a 3.6 this morn average time can't wait till it starts ccoling down this 80 with hummity at 7..730 in the morning kills me give me those 40 degree mornings... I just can't get up eary enough and get enough sleep. Its still dark at 5;30 and I run on dirt roads in the country {NO LIGHTS at all!}
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #12  

HealthyMeWannabe, I started getting really serious about running when I was around your weight. It is definitely possible to meet your goals! One thing that might help you is doing a little bit of interval training. That's the method that the couch to 5k program uses -- you start with small doses of running, then combine them. So for you it might mean running a tenth of a mile, then taking a break, then running another tenth, then break, etc. Do it 5 times and Voila! you've run a half a mile! Then the next week maybe you do it as two or three repeats of .2 miles.

The other thing that helped me was running for a bit but then continuing to walk for 2-3 miles afterwards, which I think helped build up my cardiovascular fitness.

I ran my 5 mile race today. My left calf was overworked from backpacking and cramped THE WHOLE RACE. But I learned that I can run through all that (though now I can barely walk). I met my time goal of being under an hour and placed 9th in my age group.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Congrats defenestrator - can't believe you ran the whole thing in pain!!

My 10K race was extremely hot and humid today. They had set up 7 water stations they were so worried about the heart.

Sooooo... that is my excuse for not coming in under my goal. I wanted to come in at under 52 and I was 52:27.

BUT - I was the NUMBER 2 FEMALE OVERALL!

It was admittedly a small race, but still!!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #14  

CherryPie -- no kidding about the heat. it was 80 at my race today. There were only two water stations for a 5 mile race, which I think was not enough. Congrats on the high ranking finish!

One of my next goals is to do a 10k in less than an hour. It's hard to know how easy that will be. I think I'm slowed down pretty considerably by the heat and today's race was on a trail with a lot of hills. I wonder what a 65 degree morning and a flat road would mean for my times.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #15  
WC

Awww cherry - your times are better than mine for a 10k and I think you are awesome but I know what it feels like to want a goal and be just outside of it...you're so close though you will get there!!

Deva - I'm with you, I can't wait for FALL and wonderful running temps!! I'd rather run in the pouring rain than heat/humidity.

I was supposed to wake up at 6:30 a.m. to get to a 5k race this morning that I had been looking forward to - hubby and I looked at each other & decided we really needed the zzzz. On the one hand I'm disappointed...with myself for sleeping in and in general b/c I did want to do the race but we did a 40 mile bike ride yesterday and honestly, sometimes you need to listen to your body...and mine was telling me to sleep so I did...

I did go to the gym when I woke up - I had a great workout - 70 minutes of circuits with a half mile warm up and cool down and 2 miles of uphill sprints [1/4 mile each time] in between circuits to kick my butt. So total of 3 miles plus lifting all in all happy but slightly bummed about missing the race...