Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Default Trying to decide if I should get rid of clothes that don't fit anymore

It would be so liberating to drop them at Goodwill. I'd like them out of my closet, and out of my life. I've lost the weight and regained it before, though, and I definitely can't afford to buy smaller clothes, then buy fat clothes again. But if they weren't on a shelf in my closet waiting for me, maybe I would be extra diligent. I'm thinking the safe thing is to pack them up, out of sight, and then, after a year, get rid of them if I've kept the weight off. But I REALLY want a clean break now....What have you guys done?
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I kept mine forever too because I can't afford clothes often but realized that's why I always regained. I'm just finally donating the too bigs now and using it as motivation
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #3  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Maybe you could do a sex and the city movie thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo3vHKimpi4) and decide what to keep (out of sight) and what to donate/toss. That's what I plan to do
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265.8/249.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Idk lol Ive been big my whole life and I know its gonna be hard for me, but my mom is a little bigger than me (shes also dieting), and ive been giving them to her lol.

Last edited by pink61091; 08-02-2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: spelling
pink61091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #5  

I like Kitcherella's idea. Last time I lost weight I gave most of my clothes away and now 3 years later I ended up buying some clothes (because I gained the weight) However I still have my clothes from when I lost weight and that clothes I am not giving away. I will fit into it soon!!
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #6  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I always kept different clothes so that I could wear them again. I never intentionally lost weight I was just naturally up and down depending on the time in my life. This time I'm getting rid of ALL of the big stuff. Why keep it? Regaining the weight isn't some random thing that will happen unless you let it. You are the one who has the power to never regain, so if you don't want to don't keep the clothes. For me wearing the clothes I kept aside only kept me in denial about weight gains and made it ok.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 245 / 189 / 170

Height: 5"4

Ill be getting rid of mine. Really, it's nothing special at all - I hadn't shopped for clothes that were nice in many many many MANY years. I hate it all, it already looks "bad" on me after 37lbs lost, even things I bought last month are a little frumpy (now that sucks). The only item I'll be holding onto in the end is a gorgeous coat I got from Macy's that cost me $100 last winter. It's already too big but I just love how it looks hoping it might be cute anyway. I got to wear it a whole 3 times last winter because we basically skipped winter and it was very mild and it's such a warm coat. So that was disappointing. It's off-white with a belt and comes to my knees, while the back flares out in the popular high-low style going on lately. It's such a pretty coat.
Alyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryHippo View Post
It would be so liberating to drop them at Goodwill. I'd like them out of my closet, and out of my life. I've lost the weight and regained it before, though, and I definitely can't afford to buy smaller clothes, then buy fat clothes again. But if they weren't on a shelf in my closet waiting for me, maybe I would be extra diligent. I'm thinking the safe thing is to pack them up, out of sight, and then, after a year, get rid of them if I've kept the weight off. But I REALLY want a clean break now....What have you guys done?

Similar thoughts and dilemma here. I did get rid of my biggest clothes, but I've kept three boxes of my best "intermediate" clothes in the basement. I intend to take them to a consignment store, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I know I'd feel better psychologically if they were GONE from my life.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 08-02-2012 at 07:30 AM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #9  

Height: 5'1

I think when I do lose the weight and reach my goal, I will get rid of them. Probably not all at once because I don't have the money to go out and buy thousands of euro's worth of clothes all at once so I might try pick up new jeans and tops as I go along nearer to my goal. I expect to be a couple of dress sizes less than I am now when I reach my goal so they will be too big on me to wear.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Out of sight and out of my life ! I felt that keeping the "fat" clothes meant that I would need to wear them again ! No, thanks !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #11  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

Not having clothes that fit has never stopped me from gaining weight, but I agree that getting rid of too-big clothes is liberating. I've donated many bags to Goodwill but still have a few tubs of skirts and dresses that would be a pain to replace. I figure I can donate them next year.

For what it's worth, I recently read an article on what the Salvation Army does with donated clothes. If items don't sell in a month, they get bundled up and sold to Africa (to be sold or turned into rags). That prompted me to donate only current season clothes. I've got some fall/winter stuff waiting to go, probably in September.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #12  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Height: 5'5"

I say get rid of 'em! It feels so good!!

I have really negative feelings about my biggest clothes. I bought them and wore them because they hid my body, covered without clinging, but not because I loved them or thought they made me look cute. Most of them are black or dark grey with long sleeves that I would wear even when I was boiling hot rather than show any more off my body or wear any colors or patterns that might bring attention to my body.

That's why it has been incredibly liberating for me to send all of them off to goodwill as soon as they show signs of being too roomy. As I lose I am also only buying intermediate sized clothes at Goodwill to keep costs down. Thankfully I did save a drawer of my favorite small sized clothes for motivation, so I know I have those waiting for me. I have actually been trying some of them on (or as far on as I can) from time to time as a way to see my progress.

I feel that keeping the larger sizes around is almost implicit permission to regain or a physical manifestation of the doubt we may have about our ability to lose the weight and keep it off for good. You don't need either of those things hanging around.
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #13  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I gave mine away (or threw away those who were really too old/stretched/torn at the thighs).

At first I also thought I'd keep them "in case I regain", but I realized that 1) this is a mindset for failure, 2) it takes too much room in my wardrobe, 3) those clothes were ugly anyway. Now I don't have any choice: when my clothes start to feel tight, it means I've gained 2-3 kilos, and it's time to be careful. It's actually pretty 'easy' to lose those in 2-3 weeks, compared to how hard it'd be if I let 10 or 15 creep back without being too worried because I still have "clothes that fit" in my wardrobe...

(Also, I did the same with elastic waist jeans and similar clothes. Because those can stretch quite a bit before you realize the damage done in terms of weight gain.)

Last edited by Kery; 08-02-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Yes, donate your clothes. It is so freeing to get them out of your life and when you are donating, you can go shopping at the thrift store for some new things.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200+/151/125

Height: 5'7"

Yep, when I got down to a 10 I purged everything bigger from my closet. I've never regained that weight, and I don't plan on it! I used to keep my bigger clothes, and soon enough I'd fit in them. Now if my pants get a bit tight I know either to get my act together or to get ready to buy a whole new wardrobe...I usually pick the former!
bellona is offline   Reply With Quote