Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/266/150

Height: 5'8

Question New Member, I am Pre Diabetic & SCARED! HELP

Hello Everyone, My name is Miranda.

I am 21 years old female 5'7 and weigh 276. My doctor told me i was Pre diabetic and I needed to lose weight. (I Agree on that)

Can anyone give me ideas of how to reverse this. I am scared, and i am looking to change my life for the better. Does anyone have "WHAT NOT TO EAT",
and some cooking alternatives. I am looking for a buddy i can have guide me

I have been through some tough 4 years and I gained alot of weight because of my depression.

So please reply if you have any advise!
Thank You All for Taking the time to read this

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Default Welcome!

Hi, Miranda, welcome to the 3 Fat Chicks forum!

You've come to the right place for support and encouragement. There are many members here who have lost substantial amts. of weight and kept it off. I can't claim to be one of them -- YET -- but I'll bet some of them will chime in.

My husband is pre-diabetic, too. I think the main thing to keep in mind when choosing what to eat is that any kind of carbohydrate we put in our mouth is going to provoke an insulin response. Simple carbs like pure sugar and manmade carbohydrates like pasta will provoke a bigger, faster response. Complex carbs like fruit and whole grain will provoke a slower, smaller response -- but still a response. And insulin response when it comes to weight loss is something to be avoided.

For that reason, I personally have chosen Atkins. They have an active forum here and there's lots of help available. I'm losing well and feeling GREAT. You may decide you want to try another WOE (way of eating) and that's fine! Just keep your ultimate goal in mind -- improving your health by losing the weight and keeping it off. And congrats for deciding to do something about it NOW while you're still young and have a lot of good years in front of you!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi Miranda! Welcome!

Join us on this thread in the July chat. Lots of experience and help for you there. I understand your fear and confusion. I was diagnosed 18 months ago. We would love to have you join us.

Rie
Old 08-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Welcome Miranda, don't hesitate to ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian and a diabetes educator. Get all the help you can, and READ, a lot about diabetes and diet. Atkins is great if you can manage it, and I really stabilized my sugars using that diet as well, but learning to control carbs no matter what weight loss plan you use is helpful. DOn't turn away from meds either, because control is key. Any and all weight loss will also help your insulin response. We are happy to support you, so lurk or chime in, but do read!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/292/130

Height: 5'1"

Welcome, hope you get the support you seek here. Everyone here is pretty great, I've found.

As the others have stated, the problem is carbs carbs carbs. There are many low carb diet plans out there, some stricter than others, some very simple. It's just a matter of educating yourself and finding what works for you.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #6  
Madeleine

Miranda: one thing about being "pre" diabetic is that some docs and educators won't start things going until you are diabetic. For instance, my brother in law, who is actually diabetic, type 2, on metformin and "diet controlled" doesn't test, he has a1c drawn every couple of months. He has never tested before and after meals. Don't know why, but, he and his wife don't cook and eat as if he is diabetic. He lost some weight a few years ago, but has slowly put it back on. I have suggested a couple of things, but they fall on deaf ears as far as I can tell, and I have stopped, because I want to MYOB and not be an interfering relative.
Sorry for the rant, I am visiting with them now and seeing the issue again.
My advice therefore, is to be very proactive. I am glad I pushed for meds and have lost weight, and kept it off for the most part, and keep active and so far have avoided things getting worse. Good for you for seeking information.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Mad,

I hear you on that one. My Dad is the same way. His A1c consistently comes in at 7.5 or a little higher. His dr WRITES DOWN how great he is doing at controlling his diabetes. Yesterday at breakfast I watched him eat eggs, bacon, blueberry muffins, hashbrowns, and pancakes with syrup. My mom wondered why I wasn't having any blueberry muffins. When I responded it was because I would rather have a little hash browns.... she got angry and said I was being crazy and there is no reason why I can't have both. I worry but like you said, I can't keep harping on them.

Miranda, I hope you will come over to August chat and join us.

Rie
Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #8  

I am a T2. Request your physician send you to a registered dietitian who is a CERTIFIED diabetes educator.
Then get on some of the boards for diabetics and read posts. Each one of us is different. A potato (carb) has no effect on me, while a banana (carb) sends me through the roof.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Wow Miranda... it's creepy that I came to this forum looking to write a post and it's basically already here ..

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm 20, pre-diabetic, and need to lose weight! I wanted to come here for tips and advice.

How are things going for you?

Ive started exercising, weight training and a bit of cardio.

My struggle is getting my eating under control! I love pop lol. I found a website and it had a list of things to avoid and sadly i ate most of them on the regular:
1. cookies
2. pop
3. baked goods/sweets in general (store bought)
4. anything w/ high fructose corn syrup
5. white bread
6. juices (like store bought apple juice)
7. tv dinners, processed dinners
8. french fries
9. burgers
10. fried foods
11. pizza
12. milkshakes/smoothies
13. everything that tastes good

Haha. Well keep me updated! I wish the best for both of us! We can do this!!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #10  
Madeleine

salad, no need to panic. Just getting active will help a lot, and small things make a big difference. check in on the chat thread, and enjoy!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Thanks! Yea Ive noticed that when I eat healthier and avoid sugary drinks/snacks I feel so much better and have so much more energy!

Im trying to focus on that. I hate when I eat badly and feel like sleeping all day b/c I have no energy. I want to nip this in the butt, Ive just got to stay on track
Closed Thread