Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~August Golden Girls~~

We are about fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? 70 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

thanks Bobbi
Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies,
August is a time of the year that I dread. Its approaching the busiest time for hurricanes. . Had enough of those things for a lifetime.

Today is weigh in day. I'm down 2 lbs. Guess the exercise has helped. My weekend was not 100% on my eating. Just a few small things I ate when we were out and about. We met my sister and bil at the camp. I ate some of what they had and we went on the party barge Sunday cat fishing. Fun fun. Hot hot.
My heart is heavy this week. I've not slept good since Thursday night. My youngest son is ready to spread his wings. He is house hunting. I know he's not going far. Only in the pasture behind our home and I will be able to see him from my kitchen window but.........it hurts cuz he won't be under my roof. I will not like this empty nest syndrome not a bit. It will be a few more months because he has to get the pasture turned into a lot. He will need dirt and limestone for his driveway and house pad. he's only 20 years old. I knew from the day he was born that he was going to move fast for the things he wants. If he says he will do something you can bet that he will. So that's what's happening around here.

Hello to all. Personals later.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #4  

Hey friends look at my ticker. I've got less lbs to lose than I've lost already. My ticker is falling on the other side. DOWNHILL now. Lol. I'm just excited.

Thanks for letting be brag! Lol

Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Congrats Cajun!! Way to go!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #6  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Cajun - congrats!! You're an inspiration!!

HAPPY ALMOST AUGUST....

I'll be back later!!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #7  

Hey Jess your ticker shows you have lost more than you have to lose too. Your on the DOWNHILL SIDE too!!!!!!!!!

Let's stay on this slide!!!!!

Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Hello GGs! It's a pretty day again today...supposed to get about 79 I think. We went to the gym as usual and I got back to my usual routine. I got a pretty good sleep and also I took one of those 5 hr energy drinks and they always help me. I just happen to have a sample. My eating is still good. My am bs was still high but lower than yesterday and a little over 2 hrs after breakfast and after my workout my bs was only 115!! That is normal but very low for me. I even felt a bit woozy, but glad to see such a low number finally. Makes me know I'm doing the right things and I'm very greatful for yet another chance to try and reverse things. I knew if I just ate right I could do it. AMs are the hardest and I might not be able to change that but even the doc has said that one BS being a little high is not terrible. I can't wait to get a good A1C and show the doctor I don't need another medication quite yet. I just have be thinking, thinking, thinking all the time so I don't just grab and stuff something in my mouth...I'm trying to focus on the priorities in my life.

They were giving away some fresh red plums at the gym and I picked up a couple...oh so sweet and good after working out. Of course I waited to come home and take my bs before eating mine. I got a lot done yesterday and am hoping to do it again today...housework never ends, does it...but when I feel up to it I enjoy it.

Cajun/Jess - You are doing so well!! Congrats on all your weight loss. You inspire me!! So sorry, Cajun, for the despair you feel about your son moving out. Of course you realize that his independence is a good thing that you have built into him but it's still hard I know. In my case, I was so tired of raising four kids and the pain caused by a couple of them that I didn't really feel the empty nest syndrome and enjoyed being just the two of us...but then later on it hit me hard and even now I miss them. Even the one that lived nearby for a while and then a couple hours away I rarely saw due to other issues (not related to our relationship with him). He was only 18 when he left home. Cajun, look at it this way...at least you can see him from your house...do you know how much I would love to be able to do that?!! Mine are scattered about in four states and even the one in WA is almost three hours away. But it's been worse as he has been in Iraq. I hope he doesn't ever have to go there again. I know whenever they are not under your roof though that you will feel sadness..somehow it just doesn't seem right to a mother.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

From 100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle
Fullness Scale
0-neutral, not hungry, not full, food is not on your mind
+1 Satisfied, comfortable, just right
+2 Too full, a little uncomfortable
+3 Stuffed, miserable

Work at being able to recognize when you reach a +1 or where you feel just right. Then regardlsss of what's left on your plate, stop eating right at that point.

Me - In reading these books, I have learned to go by the feel of my abdominal muscles...don't think I really thought of it exactly like that before. This author says the these muscles will begin to feel puffy...but to me, they begin feel tighter. So you may have a different feeling, but I think noting how those muscles feel while eating is the important esp when I get to that pause time in eating. It's really helping me.

From If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight by Brooke Castille
Future Tool#2
You have a lot of time left.
Think of your life as a horizontal straight line. At the begining of the line, but a 0 to represent your birth, and at the end put the number 100. Now tick on the appropriate area in between those two numbers that represents your age now. See the space that represents the time you have already lived, and then look at how much time you probably have left. 100 years is not unrealistic these days when you consider the advancements of science that will be made over the next 20 years). She calls this tool the future diagram to help us consider the future time we might have left.

When we are young we are very future focused...looking forward to many events. After retirement many become past focused. But now you have the tools to really make something happen. You have been developing some important wisdom during your past so now you can use it to make things happen. Don't just look forward to retiring and sitting. Step up! Now's the time to make some great things happen. It's never too late!

Where are you going? Where will you be in five years if you keep living this way? In ten years, twenty years etc. What exactly is it that you want to have many years down the road? Are you on the path you need to be on? What can you change to put yourself on that path to achieving what you most want from your life? Even a little change can end you up in a completely different location. If you are on your way to where you want to go then congratulations and hold steady. But if you want to be somewhere different in ten years, the time to change is now.

How much money do you want to have? Where do you want to be living? What kind of work do you want to do? How fit do you want to be? Lay your foundation and get what you want. The author tells a wonderful inspirational story of a 70 year old women who did this exercise and how it changed her life.

The author loves the concept that if we ran at full-focused speed our entire life, courageously seeking and fulfilling our dreams, we couldn't come close to fulfilling our potential. With belief in this truth, there is no time in our life that we can disregard as a time not to be growing or becoming. No matter how old or how busy we are, we have potential to tap and dreams to consider. At the end of our lives, we will not have fulfilled our full level of potential but it would be nice to know we died trying.

You get to decide what you will be like at 80 years ol. Happen to your life, don't let it happen to you.

Me - I LOVE this and this is what I am trying to focus on more than ever.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #10  
Empress/Queen

Maryea, that is awesome what Castille says about the time line of life expectancy. I have for a long time thought I would like to live to age 120, leaving me very much time indeed to reach a lot more goals. I think it is very important not to become only past focused when we reach any certain age. There is time, certainly, for me to reach a weight goal. I intend to do it! Thanks for posting that.

Also congrats to Cajun/Jess for the successes! That is awesome.

Have to go to bed, weird headache lol.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #11  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Two days down ~ two to go. I haven't been feeling very good for a while, but the last couple days, I have felt better ~ I am so thankful ~ I hope I am on the mend.

Bed time now. Hope you all rest well.

Take care
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #12  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Another funeral to attend. I have to lead out in the congregational singing and have to learn one of the songs. Keep your fingers crossed on that one as the funeral is in 3 hours.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #13  
Bobbi

Happy August .....we're playing the waiting game here, can't do much but day to day stuff. As I mentioned before, our apples are dropping daily and that takes up a couple of hours daily to pare, slice, cook and freeze. Soooooo worth it in the winter.
Cajun...good thoughts about your weight loss and going down the other side of the mountain.
I never had empty nest syndrome, we only had one daughter and she was very rebellious at 18. She jumped from one college to another, wasted most of the savings we had for her college, moving in and out of our home many times. Finally after smarting off to her dad (which she never, ever did) I told her that was the end of her living here. We found an apartment for her in town and moved her against her will. I'd never heard of 'tough love' back then, just knew it was the right thing to do. It didn't take her long to settle down and take responsibility once she was on her own. Today she is the best christian mom and has so much compassion for people, animals and the underdog. We're so lucking to have her.
It's going to reach 100 maybe today, time's a wasting.

P.S. k3, you're welcome. Want to see my single Myer lemon? I'll take a picture later today. Funny, I had a zillion buds, about a dozen lemons that didn't fall off and now down to one. I did pick up a whole bag of Myer lemons at the grocery store to make a no bake lemon pie. The price was very decent too.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #14  
Bobbi

Poor thing, barely hanging onto that skinny branch. It's about the size of a tangerine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myer 1.jpg (28.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg myer 2.jpg (45.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #15  

Hello goldies,

Nothing new here but the heat. It's almost unbearable.
I called around yesterday to get prices for ds lot. He's so very excited unlike his mom and dad. I wish we could drag thing out for a long time but he would catch on to that. We do have to wait for the man to bale his hay crop before we can start on his pad.

Maryea thank you for the kind words about my son leaving the nest. My heart is heavy but I know he's just right there. It will take me some time to adjust. I'm sure when it's all done I will come to like it. Cheaper grocery bill, less clothes to wash, less cleaning in bedroom and bath. I guess I'm blessed that we have plenty acreage that they can homestead here and that they want to live here on the farm. My heart goes out to you about your kids being scattered in 4 states. I'm crying with my mouth full. I can't begin to know your feelings about you son being in Iraq. Worry on the mind and heart I'm sure. My oldest brother has his 2 youngest sons in afganistan. I'm sure he feels your pain. We all worry about them boys. They will be back in September!!!

Bobbi thanks. Several people have told me that my hd and I have done well because he's turned out to be a fine young man and has been very successful for such a 20 year old. I guess that's the reason he can venture out and do this. I just never expected it to be so soon. I have been through tough love with our oldest son. He like your daughter played in college on mom and dads money. When we had enough we sat him own and told him he had financially and mentally abused us enough. We told him to sink or swim. He quit college and went to work. It took 6 months to figure out wht he wanted. The whole time he worked he gave me his paycheck to save. Started college and graduated his LPN nursing degree. He went to work and has been working and went back for his RN. He's paid for every penny of college along with car and insurance cell phone gas. Never once asked to borrow money. Hes fixing to start clinicals. It's taking him awhile because he's working 40 hours a week with school. So sometimes tough love does pay off. It's very hard to see him struggle at times but it has made him a man. Sorry for the long explanation. I am a proud mom like you.

Isabella I'm sure you will do well on your new song. Good luck.

Hello to everyone else

Hugs
Cajun
Closed Thread