Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #1  

Default Camping and Dieting

I am sure many have had issues about dieting while camping. I love camping. I go camping once a week during the summer. But, here is my problem. Being out of the city, going to the beach, laying in the sun: all these make me binge eat. When I camp, I eat.. and eat. And I always gain a pound or two when I step on the scale after.

So, here is my question. What are healthy food alternatives that are simple to make while camping? I know the reason I am gaining weight is because I eat s'mores, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. All that fun campfire food. Some suggestions to alternatives or tips to keep on track while camping would be amazing!

Thanks!
parkii3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4

Maybe this is oversimplifying it... but if you don't bring that stuff with you, you can't eat it right?

Why not pack up some marinated chicken breasts, chopped veggies with low fat dip or salsa, fresh fruit, and things like that?
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post
Maybe this is oversimplifying it... but if you don't bring that stuff with you, you can't eat it right?

Why not pack up some marinated chicken breasts, chopped veggies with low fat dip or salsa, fresh fruit, and things like that?
YES!!! These things are just as easy to pack/bring as the junk food is!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #4  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

I'm a cereal fan. haha Granted I haven't been camping since I was a kid... but it was a staple back then too. If you're worried about the milk spoiling you could always get individually wrapped shelf stable soy or almond milk.

Okay I don't have good suggestions, but just bring healthy food that you like with you.
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #5  

Thanks for the suggestions. I am attempting to find cereals that I can eat with or without milk so this will make a great snack while camping.

As for the other suggestions, I'll try bringing chicken and veggies. Might be a little harder to cook on a campfire but I'll definitely give it a shot!

Thanks guys.
parkii3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

I definitely love camping too! I'm sure you've heard of foil dinners. They're super easy to do. Wrap some chicken and veggies in foil, then set them in the coals until they're done. If you want to get even fancier, I have seen people make amazing things in Dutch ovens. Or you could even just bring a cast iron skillet and make a lovely egg white omelet. (Bring pepper so that when you get the inevitable ashes in it, you won't notice them.)

Raw veggies and fruits are also simple and snacky. I also really like those tuna and salmon packets for quick, easy, filling protein. Plus, I like those hydration systems to keep me hydrated so I don't mistake thirst for hunger.

And while I certainly wouldn't discourage you from laying in the sun if that's your thing, maybe if you splashed in some fun active entertainment, it would be easier to avoid mindless eating. I love beach volleyball and Frisbee, and also really enjoy swimming in the ocean.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4

If chicken doesn't work, why not get low fat/fat free hot dogs? You can find fat free all beef dogs for 40 calories a piece at ANY grocery store. Pair that with a light bun and mustard and you're looking at only 140 calories each!

If you're set on cereal, why not try mini wheats or even frosted mini wheats? Good to snack on with or without milk and full of fiber.

You don't even need to have a cooler for apples, peaches, pears, watermelon, pineapple, baked chips, baby carrots, broccoli florets, pouches of tuna, beef jerky, nuts, protein bars... the list goes on and on.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you're really asking for. Do you just want people to tell you "it's okay, eat s'mores... you're camping!"?? You say you want tips to stay on track, but the simplest tip is to pack smart - It seems like you're just writing it off and seem to just resign yourself to eating crap food because you're camping.

If you REALLY want to stay on track, you can. It's not hard. I just don't think you want to all that badly. My apologies if I'm totally off base, but that's how I'm seeing it.

Last edited by JossFit; 07-13-2012 at 05:43 PM.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Camping is no different than living the rest of the week - it's just outside! Ditch the junk food and the s'mores first. A lean burger or hot dog isn't what's doing you in. Camping shouldn't be a license to commit "suicide by food." I know you know the answer to your question. You just have to be willing to do what you know you have to do.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #9  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

I'm not a regular camper, but I recently visited Yosemite for hiking. I too have a tendency to binge. I found individual bags of nuts at Walgreens, 1.5 oz per bag. They are the walgreens brand, "Simple". Get the unsalted varieties. Plus they are reasonably priced, .99 but they have been on sale for .75 a bag.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #10  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

You've gotten plenty of great food suggestions, but I want to throw in another vote for doing active things while you're camping as well. Hiking, swimming, sports games with your friends--all of those will distract you from food and be really fun and healthy.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #11  

You can prob eat it with some steam veggies/soups and it'll fill you UP!
I don't really go for trail mix cause I never quite expend enough energy to need that stuff to "keep me going" Grilled chicken/fish and veggies sounds like a good choice.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

We had a few threads about this before - there are some really good ideas in these:

Link
Link
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #13  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Height: 5'5"

Great advice so far.

I would like to add that grilled fruit for dessert (after a well-rounded dinner with plenty of protein) is amazing! Stick half of a peach or a chunk of banana on the end of a stick instead of a marshmallow. Or maybe a fruit kabob with strawberries, banana, mango, plum, pineapple, or whatever you prefer, but using found sticks is way more fun. Seriously delicious stuff. Plus it replaces the less healthy campfire sweets while keeping the ritual of sitting around the fire with goodies on sticks at the end of a day of outdoor fun. Its all about creating new, healthy traditions.

Anything that takes you out of your weight loss comfort zone will always seem like a challenge at first, but think of what and how you would eat if you weren't camping and how you can translate that to camping or any other vacation or activity. And remember that healthy food can be just as fun as junk, not to mention the fact that you will feel WAY better after eating something wholesome and nourishing than "treating" yourself to empty blood sugar spiking calories. It is one challenge to create healthy habits at home in a controlled environment and another entirely to apply those habits to real life and the variety of situations and locations we find ourselves in.

You have the power to make camping a healthy or unhealthy activity.
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #14  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

Ugh, that's my problem too, in fact we're leaVing tomorrow for a trip. I really want to stay on plan this time, so i'm bringing things like 90 Cal snacks, apples\pb and plenty of water
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #15  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Being out of the city, going to the beach, laying in the sun: all these make me binge eat
Nope! Only you can make you binge eat.

Bring healthier campfire food and have one s'more at a time. Turkey dogs and kebab veggies and all that. Be active during the day. Think about what makes you equate "camping" with "gaining weight" and destroy that connection!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote