Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Running and Foot Hurts

The top of my right foot on the outside area has been hurting mildly for about a week. I haven't been running any differently....been doing 1.5 miles of walk/run intervals at 5.5-6.0 speeds...and my shoes are good. This is on the treadmill. It started to hurt after a long bike ride last weekend, again an uneventful exercise.

It feels swollen and sore but doesn't look swollen and perhaps barely bruised. It hurts on the top right side of my right foot, just before my ankle. It doesn't bother me when I run, oddly enough, but then hurts all the rest of the time. Rest doesn't help and neither does Aleve. The puppy stepped on that area today and it REALLY hurt for that moment. I'm not sure what to make of it. And I'm not sure what caused it.

It doesnt' hurt to the extent that I'd see a doctor over it. I'm just interested in input, if anyone else has experienced this...What could it be? And what might help it?
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

i think i might have figured it out...it seems to be hurting in the same area that i've sprained my ankle before on that foot several times...serious sprains that the doctor was surprised i hadn't broken my ankle each time...and i think that the running might just be aggravating a sensitive area
Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

yes sprains can act up. Try icing it. How much rest are you giving it? Try 4 days or so off running or biking. You'll come back stronger.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

i dont give it too much rest because my job also requires me being on my feet most of the day....however i only ran one mile today instead of more, i decided to work on increasing the interval lengths, going up to half mile intervals from quarter mile ones, and not increasing the distance right now...my foot hurt afterwards but was WAY better than yesterday's pain...and it hasnt hurt much at all the rest of the day...perhaps that's the solution
Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Maybe your doc can offer some good ideas for taking care of it even when you can't stay off of it as much as you like. Perhaps wrapping?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #6  

Are you also wearing running shoes? Do you know what foot type you are? These factors could also be the reason for your foot hurting, it doesn't hurt to check out what foot type you are, I think it's pretty neat how feet are shaped differently for different people.

An easy way to tell is by getting your feet wet and then stepping onto something to leave a footprint. You'll either have a normal arch, a flat arch, or a high arch. You should just Google what they look like and find out! Different foot types require different running shoes!

But above all else you should go check it out with your doctor if it hurts that much :P
Chic Fil A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

it seems to have gotten better by only doing one mile rather than pushing for two...and by stretching it for awhile afterwards...i do have running shoes but it is probably time to replace it...i will try the trick with wet feet to see what my arch is...i havent had any difficulty running since last september but i think my shoes might be just wearing out as well...thanks for the advice!