Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

Wink Do you workout even after you "blew it" for the day??

If I already oinked out for the day and ate waaaay over my calories, I never ever want to go to the gym. I know it's weird, and I know it should give me MORE reason to go, but I have an all-or-nothing mindset where I will only have a good workout when I ate good that day. (I like working out at night because it helps me with the munchies).

Today is a perfect example: I ate 2000+ cals by noon and THEN went out to eat and pigged out at a restaurant with my friend for dinner. I feel like working out tonight is totally pointless. But lets say I ate perfect today, I'd have a great workout.

I know, I'm weird. Is anyone else like this?
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm also all or nothing like that. I also find that if I've already eaten a lot that day, then I feel like I can eat even more since I already blew it. But that's the type of thinking that got me to almost 300 pounds- twice. Almost every day for years I would eat whatever I wanted, because I always figured the day was blown and that I'd start off right another day.

I can tell you that some of the times I've felt best about myself were those times when I felt like I had blown it and could call it a wasted day, but then decided to do something about it- eating better for the rest of the day (or not at all, if it's late in the day) or going for a walk/workout. It's extremely satisfying to overcome that "give up" feeling. I recommend trying it!

Last edited by kelly315; 07-31-2012 at 07:33 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #3  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I do get this feeling; it is harder for me to go to the gym when I have overeaten and feel all bloated or full of food.

This is one reason why it has been helpful to me to focus on making the best choices I can make, one choice at a time. if I focus only on the choice in front of me right now, that choice becomes decoupled from less good choices I might have made earlier in the day. It makes me much less likely to compound poor choices with "to heck with it, I'll start over tomorrow/Monday/next month" kind of thinking.

Just do the best thing you can do for yourself right now, regardless of what you did before. If you veer off plan, choose to get back on with your very next bite of food and your very next scheduled workout.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I am the opposite - of course I am trying to add muscle so if I'm going to over eat I'm definately going to get as much anobolism as possible out of it.

I'd suggest you look into intermittent fasting. It is an easy way to limit calories and also puts you more in tune with what your body is actually telling you.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5,6

I use to be that way, but I finally realized every calorie counts. I would advise you to just head straight to that gym! You will be happy you did

Last edited by CyndiM; 08-02-2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: need 20 days, 20 posts to add links
savynaturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

All or nothing is what got us here in the first place. It's time to break the chain and start doing the positive things even if we've had a negative day. If you are walking into your house and trip on the first step causing you to fall, do you decide to keep falling down and not go in the house? Of course not. If you are making something with a hammer and nails and slip and hit your thumb, do you just continue to bang your thumb with the hammer? of course not. If you have an off plan meal do your continue to do things that mess up your long range efforts? Of course not. Well, "Of course not" is the correct answer - we all know that. But we often use a bad choice as a reason to make more bad choices. The other examples are just plain stupid. We should get in the habit of stopping the bad choices as soon as we recognize them.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i have a hard time working out with much of anything in my stomach....one reason why i work out early in the morning or, during the school year, directly after the kids go to school...

during fourth of july, i ate FAR too much junk food the night prior and during the morning of the fourth....i felt miserable physically and felt like i could literally FEEL the sugar coursing through me (ugh)....i laid down for awhile, then went to the gym and just did some weights (no running, cant run on a full tummy) and then drank alot of water and felt MUCH better...then at the bbq that evening, i only ate salad...

so yes, even if i "blew it" for a day, or a morning and half of the night prior, i'd still go work out
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I am the opposite - of course I am trying to add muscle so if I'm going to over eat I'm definately going to get as much anobolism as possible out of it.

I'd suggest you look into intermittent fasting. It is an easy way to limit calories and also puts you more in tune with what your body is actually telling you.
Agreed!!!!!

I used to be so all or nothing about things... but not anymore. If I go on a food bender (which is rare) now, I push myself harder in the gym the next morning. If I'm going to consume excess calories I want them in my muscles, not on my ***.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

The only reason I haven't backslidden 100 pounds of weight loss and added a few friends is because I decided to get back on the horse every single time and never, ever quit. I've never blown it, it is never over. Our choices are cumulative and a bad meal, day, week, whatever, doesn't make any good choices mean less, or somehow signal the point of no return whereby all my future efforts are useless in the face of my fat.

Far from it, even with rough days I can bounce back immediately. I can succeed and prove myself capable, simply by deciding that every choice matters and that my very next choice after the bad one will be a choice that furthers my goals, not defeats me. A healthy meal isn't wasted because of the burger before it. Exercise isn't somehow useless because someone vegetated on the couch for five hours before it. And it is never, ever too late to turn things around and come back stronger than ever.

So yes, I would work out after a bad eating day, because that bad eating in the past has NO bearing on my future. As long as I do not give up I can turn it around, and a solid workout, followed by a healthy meal the next time I am hungry, is an excellent way to get back on the horse and keep riding.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #10  
One Day at a Time

S/C/G: 118/118/110

Height: 5'4"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
The only reason I haven't backslidden 100 pounds of weight loss and added a few friends is because I decided to get back on the horse every single time and never, ever quit. I've never blown it, it is never over. Our choices are cumulative and a bad meal, day, week, whatever, doesn't make any good choices mean less, or somehow signal the point of no return whereby all my future efforts are useless in the face of my fat.
Bravo! Excellent point!
smalltownok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #11  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

I just went out tonight for early cocktails and way too fattening appetizers but I realized the gym was still open so I quickly changed clothes and broke a sweat with the ellipitcal and heavy lifting. At least I don't feel as bad about my indulgence. Of course tomorrow, I will be eating a bit lighter.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I would normally be the type who would ignore an exercise routine if I ate inappropriately. That is why I find it so beneficial to work out first thing in the morning, even though I'm not a morning person. When I do work out, I never slip up because I would feel like I wasted the effort.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

I ended up going to the gym and had an amazing workout, even though I ate like 3000 cals today! I'm proud of myself, because normally I would had just felt depressed and eaten more, woke up fat, and the cycle would begin again. Yay for me! lol
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5,6

Good for you I am happy we all motivated you.... It will keep you going...

Last edited by CyndiM; 08-02-2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: need 20 days, 20 posts to add links
savynaturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #15  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

Good for you going to the gym! I would sometimes feel the same way as you. I agree with the others though, that's what got us to this weight to begin with! Exercising is always a good choice. Wishing you well on your journey.
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote