Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 07-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #1  
Rye
Bread

Height: 5'7

Default Wii fit vs kinect

Has anyone tried either of these? My roommate has the wii fit and mom wants to get kinect. Has anyone tried the workouts they have? What do you think of them? Do they work well or is it just some bull marketing?
Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/296/207

Hi Rye,

I have both of them. I have Wii Fit Plus and like how it has strength training, yoga, games and ways that you can run/walk/step in place while you watch TV and it counts time for you. Wii Fit Plus can also check your weight but it "taunts" you if you don't do it everyday which I don't like because most people do more than one type of workout.
I don't have any work out games for Kinect but I do have Dance Central and Dance Central two and love love love them. They are super fun and get you very sweaty. If I had to choose I'd want Kinect over Wii but thats just me .
TimeForMe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I have both as well,and the Kinect is by far the better of the two.I have Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 for the Kinect,and that (if I stuck to it) is an awesome workout.There are so many different exercises to choose from and the fact that you don't have to use a remote is a huge plus.I also recently got Zumba Rush for the kinect and after trying to do the Zumba for the wii,i'll get rid of my wii copy.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #4  

I had both and they are both very different. I eventually sold my wii because I wanted the kinect. There were some games in wii that I miss (we cheer, gold's gym boxing), but for the exercise factor kinect is better. I like not having to hold a remote too like someone else pointed out.
PhillyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #5  
Rye
Bread

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I am going to do the wii for now. The kinect sounds better (and they have a biggest loser game! I WANT) but since I dont have it right now, nor the money for it, I'll have to do wii. But at least now I feel that it will actually be worth money, and I can always leave it there so my little brother can play it as well.

I have a question though, Timeforme, are you saying that I can turn it on, then switch over to reg tv and it will keep track of my walking? That sounds awesome.
Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/296/207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I am going to do the wii for now. The kinect sounds better (and they have a biggest loser game! I WANT) but since I dont have it right now, nor the money for it, I'll have to do wii. But at least now I feel that it will actually be worth money, and I can always leave it there so my little brother can play it as well.

I have a question though, Timeforme, are you saying that I can turn it on, then switch over to reg tv and it will keep track of my walking? That sounds awesome.
Yeah, Rye,

Wii fit plus lets you step/walk/jog in place and will keep track of your time while you watch other T.V.
TimeForMe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #7  

If you're sticking with the Wii,check out Exerbeat.I liked it alot and felt like I was getting more of a workout then say with the WiiFit.See if you can try it out before buying though...as with all games and videos,some like them and some don't.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #8  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

I have both a wii and a kinect. I prefer using the the Wii Fit Plus because it's good for a beginner like me. What you use really depends on your fitness level.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I have both too... and I prefer kinect... It's fun and better than sitting around doing nothing, but definitely not going to get you in the best shape of your life or anything.... I'm sorry to break it to people but playing video games in your living room even if you are jumping around like crazy isn't gonna quite cut it... You're gonna have to actually get out in the real world and get moving...
That's quite harsh. These dance and fitness programs can be quite benificial cardio. Cardio is cardio, no matter how you get it. That's like saying jumping around outside your house it better than following a workout video. It's just not true. Any amount of exercise will be good for you, just get educated and learn what your body needs. For some, cardio through video games is just the ticket, for others it's a combo. As an avid gamer, I find the "real world" comment a bit insulting. It is an inaccurate stereotype that all gamers are shut-ins. It's just not true. I doubt you intended to be insulting but I thought I'd chime in that the world isn't always so easy to define.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

You don't have to get outside 'in the real world" to get a decent work out. It is all about intensity. You can get intensity in a gym, outside or in your own living room...it all depends on how much you put into to it, not the location. It might take more than a video game or a DVD workout for you personally or it might not.

I only have the Wii not the Kinnect. I think most of the dance games on Wii are more intense than Wii Fit Plus. When I do Just Dance, I sweat; when I do Wii Fit I don't necessarily sweat. But, I am still moving and I am still getting cardio even if it is at a lower intensity. It doesn't matter how slow you go; you are still lapping everybody who is sitting on their couch!!

I like to watch the TV and do the 30 minute timed exercises on WiiFit occasionally. The one that has the chiming beats is a little annoying. I have to do at least double time to those slow beats. Thankfully, you can mute them and use music to get a faster beat or just do your own pace to a TV show.

Last edited by mariposssa; 10-09-2012 at 04:59 PM.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 222/156.0/145

Height: 5'7''

Neither is as effective as just going to the gym. I have both Wii Fit and Kinect and I have workout and dance games for them both. I use them occasionally for fun, but I don't put much stock in them as workout devices and have seen significantly more progress in my body by weight training at the gym.
AnonymouslyYours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #12  

I'm going to have to agree with Mariposssa.I don't see using a game system any different then using a dvd or inexpensive home gym items,ie; bands,weights,ball,etc.As long as you use it to the fullest potential and on a regular basis...you will see results.That being said,many people don't use it that way,because for some,it's not as encouraging as going somewhere and working out with others,or they don't view it as a workout and wont use it to the fullest potential.

I finally did buy the Zumba Rush for Kinect,and let me tell you...I am out of breath and sweaty when I am done with a workout.When I use it consistantly,I do see a benefit in my clothes and how I feel...the key word there is consistantly though!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #13  

I have had the Wii Fit and loved it! We just bought an XBox with Kinect today and I am going to try it out tomorrow. Will let you know how that goes!
KymberlyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

I would certain agree that the wii and kinect Can both work. I have had much better experiences with the kinect though. Additionally, the claim that the only exercise that counts is outdoors is ridiculous. dancing hard to one of these games is a great cardio workout, just like running outdoors would be, and less stressful to the joints. I can understand why a weight program would be better at the gym, that is obvious, but console exercise games suffer from two problems-they often cater to the lowest common denominator, meaning they don't want people to be injured so are easier and less intense than pushing yourself at the gym, and I think when you are home alone it is easier to rationalize not pushing yourself as hard as when other people are there watching you. But that isn't the fault of the game system. that is the fault of the person.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I like the kinect zumba, and their other non-workout games are fun and active too!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote