Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #1  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

Default Lost 145lbs added in gym and gaining?

Hi
I lost 145lbs in 14 months doing an adapted version of the Dukan diet. I did not exercise throughout and had regular and consistent weight loss. I then spent a year maintaining, but gradually added on 9lbs.
I now have access to a gym and as I am on vacation have been every day for 7 days. I appear to be gaining weight, not losing ! Could this be water weight? My muscles are quite sore, and of course I am in Florida so temperature could be a factor? Just wondered whether anyone else has gained at the beginning of exercising.
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Yes, your muscles are probably retaining fluid. You're not gaining fat, unless you're eating in a calorie surplus .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

Yep!! It sounds like water weight to me! Sometimes when people start working out hard they will see that initial gain, and then your weight will creep back down again. Dont worry
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

I went through this in a mini version last week. I had lost 15 lbs in a month and a half then I started getting serious about running and we had the most humid weather of the summer hit. I saw the scale bounce back up to 170 from 164ish. Once the weather cooled down and my muscles adjusted the scale is back down plus -5 lb to 160ish today. Just ignore the number on the scale for awhile.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #5  
I Will do this....

Thank you for the replies. It makes sense to me that it is water. I have tried to stay sane with food whilst here, but know I'm taking on more sodium than usual. I am keeping at it.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #6  
I Will do this....

Arghhhh up another two pounds! I am truly flummoxed. Have been playing an hour of tennis, working with weights and swimming. Not to mention the marathon walks around the mall I am aware I have been eating differently- mainly because my mainstays are not the same and I am on holiday so we have been to more restaurants etc, but I have not eaten enough to counteract the exercise and to put on so much. Confused to say the least, but one thing this journey has taught me is to never give up - even when the going gets tough!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Keep reminding yourself that increased activity = water retention. Don't step on the scale again until you've been off vacation for a week, for your own sanity!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #8  
I Will do this....

Thanks Valrock - I think that could be some excellent advice !