Old 07-22-2012, 03:10 AM   #1  

Default Anyone Drop 100 Lbs And Nothing After???

Just wondering if anyone started out really heavy... maybe over 350 lbs ...dropped 100 lbs and just stopped losing weight? I lost weight for 2 years starting at 363 and down to 231 and now I am weighing about 237-239 depening on the day. I have been losing and gaining the same 5-7 lbs for the past 4 months and I am quite frustrated. It seems like I should not have this problem still being as heavy as I am. I am only 5'3 so I am still about 100 lbs overweight. Changing eating habits, exercising faithfully with strength training twice a week and no real results is really starting to wear e down. At one point, I was counting calories which I gave up b/c that just got to be too time consuming and I thought... wow I've spent 2 months doing this and I haven't lost a single pound!! Well I may have lost a couple but gained it back later on. Thyroid was checked and supposedly fine. No medications I'm on is causing me to have these issues... I looked into it. At this point, I don't know where to go from here. I do know I don't want to go up.. as in up in weight. I worked too hard to lose what weight I have lost so far.
blb1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I can sure see why you are frustrated. Loosing 100lbs is wonderful, but you want more.

I am short and small, too, and it seems there is very little eating room between caloric deficit and maintaining. Also frustrating.

A program like Fitday makes it easier to count calories than doing it all manually, although I believe you are an expert at calories and portion sizes since you have already lost 100lbs.

Just don't give up!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Four months really isn't that long a plateau. I know it feels like it, but it's not unusual at all. And four months of not-losing doesn't mean you're never going to lose another pound, either.

It's taken me more than seven years to get off 105 lbs. Now my experience was a little unusual in that my slowest weight loss was actually in the beginning (because I was in very poor health and spent most of the day in bed. I also didn't try to diet strictly because food was practically my only source of entertainment and comfort - so I didn't want to take it all away without having something to put in it's place, so I chose to lose gradually).

So my weight loss gradually sped up, but now it's slowing down again.

To lose weight I have to count. No matter how healthfully I eat, and how little I think I'm actually eating, without counting I don't lose. I count by way of a reduced-carb exchange plan because I like the forced balance of the exchanges. And I lose best and am less hungry on a reduced-carb diet, so the exchange plan insures that I'm eating about the same carb-level every day (though I do have a higher-carb back-up plan for days when eating reduced carb will be difficult or inconvenient, such as family events where I'm not in charge of the food).

If you're not losing after four months, that doesn't mean you can't lose more weight if you want to, but it does mean that you have to adjust what you're doing. You have to find a way to cut or burn more calories. That could mean reducing carbs, or counting calories or exchanges, or exercising more...

When I started, unlike other times in the past (times I ultimately failed) I decided that I would ONLY do what I was willing to do forever, regardless of whether or not the weight comes off. And at first, that wasn't a whole lot (which is why I didn't lose much at first). The more I've lost, the more I've been willing to change, but every time I hit a true plateau (several months of not losing) I have a decision to make - do MORE to lose weight, or be happy with the weight loss I have accomplished and continue to work at maintaining the weight loss.

I haven't yet decided that I'm not willing to do more, so every time I have hit a plateau, I've decided (ok sometimes it took me a while to decide) that I have to do more - and I did more to keep the weight loss going.

The reason I've succeeded "this time" is because I'm happy with losing, and I'm ok with not-losing (as long as I'm not gaining). There HAVE been times when I have thought I couldn't lose another pound, and at those times I concentrated on continuing to maintain the loss and seeing if I could maybe lose another pound. I did eventually decide though that I was willing to do more to lose more, but if I ever decide that I am NOT willing to do more to lose more, I'm determined to be happy with "not gaining."

If I never lose another pound, I will be ok with that. What I'm determined NOT to be ok with is deciding that if I'm not able to lose any more that I might as well gain back what I've lost.

I try not to think too much about how far I am from my ultimate goal, because that always would discourage and depress me. Now, I focus much more on the "not gaining" and celebrate maintenance much more than loss. Loss is great, don't get me wrong - but to me maintenance of what I've lost so far is much, much more important.

Ironically, working harder at maintenance than weight loss (even when I only had a 20 lb loss ot maintain) has allowed me to lose much more than when I focused on weight loss. Now every day I celebrate the "not gaining" more than I ever did losing in the past.

I've decided that keeping off 105 lbs, and even keeping off 20 lbs, is better than losing 250 and gaining it back.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #4  

KAPLODS

I guess I am mistaken when I say the word plateau then. I thought a plateau was staying the same. I have not stayed the same. Today I stand at 239 lbs when back in Feb I was 231 lbs. What's the reason? Who knows? I have counted calories at some point but gave that up recently yes I will admit. I have had my tail at that Y exercising faithfully and still gaining and losing weight.

So I'm whining over 4 months? That's nothing?
I am finding out there are people who have gone longer. I spoke to a lady who didn't lose weight for almost a year she said.

This is my first time sticking to any weight loss thing for this long so I can honestly say I have never been involved in any plateaus ever except the one that I may be in now. I was steadily losing for 2 years and all of a sudden it stopped and now it's up and down on the scale. Now a days I start guessing what the scale is going to say... this week...236...238..237...235.....239. Oh lawd don't let me hit 240!!!

Thank you for taking the time to post your advice/input/thoughts
It is much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
I can sure see why you are frustrated. Loosing 100lbs is wonderful, but you want more.

I am short and small, too, and it seems there is very little eating room between caloric deficit and maintaining. Also frustrating.

A program like Fitday makes it easier to count calories than doing it all manually, although I believe you are an expert at calories and portion sizes since you have already lost 100lbs.

Just don't give up!
Thank you. Yes I counted calories for quite some time and ate mostly the same things MOST of the time so I know how many calories is in what. I have my regulars that I never get tired of eating but other things got boring at times so I had to sit and think of different food ideas to keep it interesting but I don't have a lot time to be in the kitchen preparing and cooking up all of this stuff. I have work, kids, my exercise and other things to do. It just got to be too much at times. A juggling act. Ha. Maybe I should join the circus....

I will check out Fitday though

thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I know exactly what you're talking about! My highest weight was 360 back in 2004-2005. I initially got down to 320 where I stayed for a while, then 285 where I stayed even longer. Then I eventually got down to the 250-260 area back in 2009, a range that I've had trouble breaking past most of my life (I've never been anywhere under 220 as an adult and have mostly averaged around 250, even back when I was a teenager).

It was always awesome to be able to say I've lost 100 pounds, but also disheartening to know that I still had 100 to go . . . and given that I've lingered in that range for the past three years? Sigh. So frustrating to know I'd lost so much but was still obese.

I've had to make a new commitment to get back into weight-loss mode, becoming more strict so that I was no longer just maintaining or gaining and losing the same few pounds. Part of what sparked it was going through a miscarriage back in January, which was a partial wake-up call when it came to my health. I took extra steps to better my health, but allowed myself some time to heal and mourn, and didn't make the full commitment until the beginning of March when I'd climbed up over 267. I'm currently making my way under 250 again and beyond. I'm hoping that my next weigh-in will be 243 even or lighter, which will be my lowest recorded weight in the past 12 years!

What I'm currently doing is writing down everything I eat in a journal, giving me a chance to go over and review my progress. I do my best to make healthy choices and watch my portions, plus I stay away from overly-processed foods, especially sugar and other simple carbs. I don't spend much time in the kitchen either. I prepare simple meals (even burgers and pizza!) and chop up a huge veggie salad every few days so I've got some to go with every lunch and dinner. It seems to be working, and I'm hoping I can get under 220 by the end of the year.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #7  

Elladorine

Wow! I must say it's comforting knowing someone that had been in a similar situation. I had it in my head that problems losing only occur when you get about 30 lbs from your ideal weight and that's obviously not true.

So do you count calories? Or just eat healthy? When I was around 260 I decided to start really buckling down on eating and dropped 30 more lbs and that was the last success I had with weight loss.

Your pictures look great! How tall are you? You must be tall because you do not look like you even weigh 200 lbs! I am short and carry my weight mostly in my stomach and absolutely hate it. Being able to now fit a 2x is great for me considering my shirt size was 3x/4x
Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #8  

Thanks! I'm on the tall side at 5' 8", and was told I carried my weight "well" even at my highest. I'm an apple so most of my excess fat is in my stomach, which can make finding jeans that fit properly a nightmare! They're usually too tight in the stomach and too baggy in the hips and butt. I used to be somewhere beyond a size 30 when I weighed 360, but I'm not sure since I was wearing stretch pants at the time, which let me get away with wearing a "smaller" size. I was also in a 2X or 3X shirt, depending; if a shirt was too small I could only pray that I could stretch it out enough to fit.

I actually made it down to a size 20 this past month, which has been pretty exciting for me. To give you an idea, I've spent most of my life, including my high school years, in a size 24 jeans. I've been in a 2X t-shirt most of my life as well, including now, although I'm just starting to fit into the occasional 1X. Odd that my jeans size has changed more drastically than my shirt size! From my previous experience in weight loss, the next 20 or so pounds should make a bigger difference in the size I can wear. I made it down to 220 once as a teenager and was in 14/15 jeans.

Nope, I don't count calories. I've tried that in the past; I get overwhelmed and obsessive in my attempts with it, which makes me fall off the wagon. I do a lot better giving myself the mindset that I must think, eat, and behave like a thin person, reminding myself that I can't let food rule my life. My own personal issue over the years has been dealing with the bitterness that being overweight all my life has made me, learning that I was my own worst enemy by constantly telling myself it wasn't fair that I couldn't be like other people and eat whatever I wanted without consequence (not saying it's like that for you or anyone else, it's just what I've personally learned about myself). And even when I make healthy choices, I still have to be really careful about my portions, otherwise I don't lose.

I also had to learn to be happy with the weight I've lost so far rather than focusing on what I have left to lose. It's not an easy shift, but doing so really helps. So be proud of how well you've done so far! I know you can keep going.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #9  

MARTINI

Yes I think all the time... why did I let myself get this big??? 300 lbs?? 363? If I had started at 250 - 260 some, I would already be around 150 - 160 I would not be worrying anything right now! I would totally satisfied with my weight having lost 110 lbs. It was 117lbs but I have since gained the 7lbs. I dwell A LOT on how big I let myself get. I used to NEVER look at myself. I knew I was getting big. I knew in the back of my mind I was big. I just didn't want to see or really, really know if that makes sense. I never got in pictures and never really still like to see myself in them. But my friend did bring me some pictures that I was in during holiday times when I was my heaviest and a picture when I was at work and WOW I definitely can see the difference in what I used to look like compared to what I look like now. It does encourage me but at the same time I'm still looking at the weight that's still there when I look in the mirror now.

And don't get me started on the scale! I think that was the biggest mistake I made. Buying a scale! I used to weigh at my local Y every 2-3 weeks but I hated doing it because they had their digital scale in the weight/workout room and I was so self conscience when stepping on the scale as if everyone was looking at me. Even when I didn't lose weight one week, I couldn't stand turning around and mustering up a smile even when I knew inside I felt disappointed but the weeks I had lost weight my smile was so big and I made sure everyone saw my happiness. Anyway I did end up buying my own scale for my house and I think I made a mistake there. At first I was not on the scale as much, keeping it to once a week but at some point when I thought my medication was causing me to gain weight I was on the scale every day to see if I was gaining or losing weight. Here lately it's random weighing.

Whatever I decide to do, I am not giving up - not like I have in the past. This is the first time in my life I have lost this much weight, stuck to it and I refuse to put it back on.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #10  

[QUOTE=Elladorine;4413427]

Nope, I don't count calories. I've tried that in the past; I get overwhelmed and obsessive in my attempts with it, which makes me fall off the wagon. I do a lot better giving myself the mindset that I must think, eat, and behave like a thin person, reminding myself that I can't let food rule my life. My own personal issue over the years has been dealing with the bitterness that being overweight all my life has made me, learning that I was my own worst enemy by constantly telling myself it wasn't fair that I couldn't be like other people and eat whatever I wanted without consequence (not saying it's like that for you or anyone else, it's just what I've personally learned about myself). And even when I make healthy choices, I still have to be really careful about my portions, otherwise I don't lose.

QUOTE]

I tried calorie counting for a while and it was just too time consuming. I do pre plan meals or try to so I'm not just eating "whatever"

Eat like a thin person? How do you do that? Do you ever get hungry or feel like you are just too hungry too soon? I have an issue with being hungry. I have been trying to eat protein because I hear that is good way to stay full until the next meal which I have been trying lately. More protein and less carbs.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1980 View Post
Eat like a thin person? How do you do that? Do you ever get hungry or feel like you are just too hungry too soon? I have an issue with being hungry. I have been trying to eat protein because I hear that is good way to stay full until the next meal which I have been trying lately. More protein and less carbs.
I guess eating like a thin person isn't the easiest thing to explain, but I'll try. But more protein, less carbs is a good start!

I've got a sister-in-law that's very thin, and I've noticed that she rarely finishes her plate, especially when it comes to dessert. She'll take a few bites of the cake or pie and be done, and if asked, she'll hold her stomach and say something like, "It's so delicious, but the sweetness is too much for me!" I envied that for a while. I mean, if I let myself I could totally eat frosting straight out of the container by the spoonful, so I've had a hard time imagining anything being too sweet for me! In fact, fruit was often too tart for me to enjoy without pouring some table sugar on it. But tastes can change over time, and since I've heard that we get "used" to sweetness and that it often makes us crave even more, it was part of the reason I decided to give up processed sugar and other simple carbs.

It was hard at first, but I cutting myself off decreased my cravings down to almost nothing. And believe it or not, hunger is rarely an issue for me anymore. I'm sure it has to be a different experience for everyone based on what their own issues are, but at least in my case, sweets seem to spike my blood sugar and causes excess hunger. These days I sometimes have to remind or even force myself to eat at mealtime (had anyone told me this a year or more ago, I'd have never believed them). I do definitely get hungry still, but it's not the same type of frantic, anxious hunger I used to experience, if that makes sense, and I no longer have the same emotional ties to food that I used to. I'd practically have a panic attack if I couldn't eat plenty of what I was craving! When I'm hungry now, I fill up on a big salad first and then have a little something to go with it that has protein.

I can occasionally allow myself a piece of cake or other such dessert during a get-together now, but like my sister-in-law, I'm satisfied with just a small amount. That amazes me. In fact, nothing's off-limits for me, I just make sure I have a reasonable portion of whatever it is as long as it's only occasional (like a birthday or holiday) and that I pair it with something healthy. I bought a box of frosted sugar cookies back in April. Now normally, the whole box would have been gone in 2 days, but I just got to the very last one earlier this month (I kept them in the freezer so they didn't go stale). They didn't take over my brain and call to me very two seconds like they would have in the past. I can't believe that box lasted 3 months! Oh, and fuit. Fruit! It's not tart to me anymore! I no longer need to pour sugar on it to enjoy it, something I thought would never happen.

Now granted, this didn't happen overnight; it took a lot of time and self-discipline to reach this point. And I do remind myself it would be easy to slip back into old habits, which is another reason I think it's been good for me to write down everything I eat. I make sure I keep plenty of healthy staples in the house so I always have something reasonable to grab in a crunch, and I have lists of what I can have in particular restaurants in case my husband and I decide to eat out.

I got so sick of thinking about food all the time. Counting calories, measuring, planning, debating; you name it, I was sick of it. Even when trying to be healthier it felt like it was controlling every little aspect of my life! But now it's a different story. It's taken a back seat to my daily routine; I make a reasonable, non-emotional decision about what I'm having for my meal, stick with it, and don't look back. It's what's working for me now, and I imagine it's not far off from how a "naturally" thin person approaches the concept of food.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1980 View Post
KAPLODS

I guess I am mistaken when I say the word plateau then. I thought a plateau was staying the same. I have not stayed the same. Today I stand at 239 lbs when back in Feb I was 231 lbs. What's the reason? Who knows? I have counted calories at some point but gave that up recently yes I will admit. I have had my tail at that Y exercising faithfully and still gaining and losing weight.

So I'm whining over 4 months? That's nothing?
I am finding out there are people who have gone longer. I spoke to a lady who didn't lose weight for almost a year she said.

This is my first time sticking to any weight loss thing for this long so I can honestly say I have never been involved in any plateaus ever except the one that I may be in now. I was steadily losing for 2 years and all of a sudden it stopped and now it's up and down on the scale. Now a days I start guessing what the scale is going to say... this week...236...238..237...235.....239. Oh lawd don't let me hit 240!!!

Thank you for taking the time to post your advice/input/thoughts
It is much appreciated.

I think most of us do see plateaus as "staying exactly the same," but I think that's kind of silly, because almost no one, even naturally thin people, even people who've lost all their weight and are at their goal weight, do not "stay exactly the same." Their weights vary, because it's actually ridiculous that we expect weight to stay exactly the same for anyone.

We set ourselves up for failure, by not understanding what success really looks like. Successful weight loss and maintenance isn't about reaching a goal weight and never deviating from that weight - it's about struggling with the same 5 to 10 lbs, rather than struggling with the same 50 or 200 lbs.

And if weight maintenance (and even natural thinness) isn't about "staying exactly the same," then how can a plateau be about staying exactlly the same.

In fact, "staying exactly the same" at every weigh-in (whether you weigh daily, weekly, monthly or at any other time) is actually extremely strange, rare, and unlikely. In fact, it's virtually impossible.

There are so many factors that go into what you weigh at any given moment, that it's actually ridiculous that we've come to ever expect (that our culture really teaches us to expect) to see the exact same number on the scale every day (or every week...)

In fact, I think it's kind of strange that we believe we evern have a constant or "real" weight. I do not weigh 289 lbs each and every day, all day. Instead, my weight varies throughout the day depending on a thousand factors including exactly what I've eaten and drank, but also whether or not I've gone to the bathroom, how hot it is, what time of my cycle, whether I'm fighting a cold or have an injury.... seems like a bazillion variables.

And yet I say that I "weigh 289 lbs." But I really don't. My weight varies as much as five or six pounds in a SINGLE day. And yet I still say that I weight 289 lbs.

For living things weight isn't a constant, but we act as though it is. And because our expectations don't match reality, we tend to get frustrated and think there's something wrong with us, when there isn't.

It isn't that we're not normal - it's that what we believe to be normal, really isn't.

It's like when my doctor told me that I wasn't failing at weight loss when I was "only" losing 1 lb a month at 375 lbs. I said "I should be able to lose at least 2 lbs a week like a normal person," and my doctor scolded me saying "normal" wasn't 2 lbs a week. Normal wasn't even 1 lb a month. Normal was losing nothing, or losing a bit and then gaining even more. Losing 1 lb a month was extraordinary, because most people (of all weights) don't do it.

Truly realizing that losing even 1 lb a month was "extraordinary" that maintaining a loss (that is a zero pound loss) was even more extraordinary, CURED me of frustration.

I don't get frustrated any more, because I truly understand that maintaining 105 lb loss (and way back when even maintaining a 20 lb loss) is extraordinary. Just "sticking with it" puts me at the top of the success ladder. Keeping off even a few pounds is an extraordinary acheivement, and yet we're taught to see it as failure. No wonder weight loss success statistics suck - we tell people they're failing when they're having astonishing success.

If most people do not lose even one pound per month, why do we see it as failure? If most people do not keep off their weight loss, why do we see "not losing more" as failure? Shouldn't we see "not gaining" as success? Shouldn't we see "not losing any more" as the success of not not having gained?

I think it all boils down to having no idea about what "normal" really looks like. So we think we're failing because we think everyone else is doing so much better than we are. An analogy I like to use is a big marathon where you assume you're in last place because you see 5,000 people in front of you, and don't see the 25,000 people behind you.

We tend to "hide" our failures when it comes to weight loss, and in fact we hide everyone except the top 1%. We see the folks who lose 200 lbs in 2 years, not the person who (like me) lost 105 lbs, but took seven years to do it (or you could say took over 30 years to do it).

Weight loss isn't frustrating when you have truly realistic expectations. Now that I know how few people succeed (if and only if we use "normal" definitions of success), I feel amazingly confident. I'm amazed every day that I've lost and kept off 100 lbs more or less (because of the normal fluctations it varies from 95 to 105).

What I find rather sad is how many people try to make me see the "failure" in what I'm doing rather than the success. It's as if people think that you have to feel like a failure to succeed, but I don't find self-punishment motivating. Seeing the amazing success keeps me motivated. I know that most women who start out at 394 lbs and nearly bed-ridden DO NOT lose and keep off 105 lbs. So even "not gaining" is a tremendous acheivement.

It doesn't make me think "well, I'm so great I don't have to do any more because I'm pure-awesomeness as it is."

Instead, I feel confident that because I'm doing so extrardinarily well, I can do even more (but if I decide that means I can lose 2 lbs a week, each and every week, and never backslide ever - then I'm going to be sadly disappointed and will fall into the failure-frustration trap).

We need to know what "normal" is before we judge ourselves harshly for not succeeding. And sadly, normal weight loss statistics are incredibly dismal. But I don't think they have to be. The numbers suck, because we're essentially telling folks who are succeeding that they're failing so badly that they might as well give up and at least get to eat what they want.

I firmly believe that most folks do not give up at weight loss when or because they're failing. They're just not seeing their success. They give up because they feel like they're failing and that the situation is hopeless, so giving up makes sense. In fact, we make giving up the only logical option. Only a fool would sign on for more and more punishment for "failing" even when they're doing better than most - even when they're doing FAR better than most.

Unfortunately so much about successful weight loss is "unlearning" lies that we've been taught about what is normal and what is healthy.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote