Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Looking for book recommendation

I finished reading the book about Jared Fogle, the Subway sandwiches guy who lost 245 lbs. in 11 months, and it was really inspirational. Does anyone know if there's another book like it out there telling of someone's story of weight loss? I'm not looking for a how-to book; more of a bio.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I don't have any specific suggestions, but under the "Maintenance Library" section there are a lot of book discussions threads that you might search though and find something. Glancing through it I'm sure many are more self-help directed, but I'm sure there are just as many inspirational/motivational ones out there as well.

PS - I'm glad you liked the Jared Fogle book. I've thought about reading it and need a new book to read so might check it out.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Valerie Bertinelli has a couple books out, and they talk about it a lot. The Urban Hermit is the story of a guy who lost a lot of weight (while getting his life together) eating lentils & tuna. He's a pretty funny writer, so it's a good read. Fat Girl is more about coming to self-acceptance. I can't remember if she ends up losing weight or not, but it really moved me. Unbearable Lightness, by Portia di Rossi, deals with binge eating and her descent into anorexia. I thought it was pretty good, and could relate to her struggle. Born Round, by Frank Bruni, the former NYTimes food critic, talks about his struggle with food growing up. He's a great writer, and it's a really engaging book.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I just started reading Suddenly Skinny by Freya Taylor. I didn't realize when I bought it that she did it with Medifast, too, so it really speaks to me.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #5  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

I get an itch to read weightloss memoirs sometimes too. I liked Jared's. Here are a few more I've read - The Amazing Adventures of Diet Girl by Shauna Reid, Finally Thin!: How I Lost Over 200 Pounds and Kept Them Off -- And You Can Too by Kim Bensen, Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her *** Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer by Jen Lancaster, Diary of a Fat Housewife: A True Story of Humor, Heart-Break, and Hope by Rosemary Green.

I've yet to read - Half-Assed: A Weight Loss Memoir by Jennette Fulda, Tales From The Scale by Erin J. Shea, 703: How I Lost More Than a Quarter Ton And Gained a Life by Nancy Makin, Designated Fat Girl by Jennifer Joyner, Confessions of a Former Carb Queen: A Memoir by Susan Blech, The Weight-Loss Diaries by Courtney Rubin
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote