Old 07-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #1  

Smile Need to lose weight in a year

Hi, I really want to lose about 100 pounds by next summer before I go off to college. If I swim (butterfly stroke) an hour a day and bike or walk an hour a day and do pilates for like 20 minutes do you think this is a possible goal? I really want to be a healthy weight so I'm not known as the 'quiet fat' one anymore. No one in my family believes I can do it. Any stories would be nice also I'm a vegetarian so most of my meals from now on are going to be fruit yogurt and cereal ( it used to be chips and candy)
Thank you everybody!
silkmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Exercise to be fit. Control your diet to lose weight.

You need to make sure you're getting proper nutrition. You can't get everything your body needs from yogurt and fruit. Your growing brain needs fats to function. Your muscles need protein and carbohydrates to be strong.

Check out the vegetarian forum here. You'll find some great ideas for building a balanced, calorie controlled, diet. It's possible to reach your goal, but you'll have to stay on plan and not give up!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkmonster View Post
Hi, I really want to lose about 100 pounds by next summer before I go off to college. If I swim (butterfly stroke) an hour a day and bike or walk an hour a day and do pilates for like 20 minutes do you think this is a possible goal? I really want to be a healthy weight so I'm not known as the 'quiet fat' one anymore. No one in my family believes I can do it. Any stories would be nice also I'm a vegetarian so most of my meals from now on are going to be fruit yogurt and cereal ( it used to be chips and candy)
Thank you everybody!
Exercise is good but you must reduce calories to lose weight. how many calories a day are you eating now ? What do you weigh now ?

Last edited by bargoo; 07-22-2012 at 05:10 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #4  

Be careful not to do too much exercise. 2 and a half hours a day sounds excessive. . Have you spoken to your doctor? HAve you gotten a nutritionist? You can lose a lot of weight in a year if you do it sensibly and (ur gonna hate this word) slowly. I have had plenty of experience and am still working on it. For me, the faster I try and lose it the faster I burn out. Be good to yourself in your weight loss journey.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
Be careful not to do too much exercise. 2 and a half hours a day sounds excessive. . Have you spoken to your doctor? HAve you gotten a nutritionist? You can lose a lot of weight in a year if you do it sensibly and (ur gonna hate this word) slowly. I have had plenty of experience and am still working on it. For me, the faster I try and lose it the faster I burn out. Be good to yourself in your weight loss journey.
I have an appointment with my doctor soon, and I'm not really counting the walking exercise so much because its with my (overweight) dog so we don't really move fast.
I'm going to try to eat like 1600 calories a day
Old 07-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'd suggest that you decide on a sensible calorie-intake and exercise level that you're willing to do, and work at doing that and let the weight loss happen without trying to force a specific amount of weight loss.

You may lose your 100 lbs, or you might lose 50 - either way you will have succeeded.

However, if you expect to lose 100, and sensible diet and exercise doesn't get you there, you may be tempted to try insensible and even dangerous ways to make that 100 lb goal.

I fell into that many times in my life. I'd set myself a goal based on an upcoming event or date, and if I started to "fall behing schedule" I'd be very tempted to cut calories or exercise at insane pace. Then if the weight loss still didn't measure up to my expectations, I'd get discourged and focus on the failure rather than the success. If my goal was 50 lbs by a specific date, and I'd "only" lost 45, I'd focus on the 10% failure and not the 90% success.

Or worse, I'd decide that since I "couldn't make it" by the deadline, that success was impossible, my situation hopeless, and if I couldn't lose weight the way I wanted to, I might as well not even try, and at least get to eat whatever I wanted.

Weight loss isn't something you can control directly. You can choose to lose 5 lbs, but you can't choose how long it takes to lose those 5 lbs. Weight loss isn't really a behavior, it's a result of behavior. You have absolute control over behaviors, you do not have 100% control over the results of behaviors. So set acheivable calorie and exercise goals and work at that. If your weight loss is slower than you'd like, decide whether you can make more changes, and whether it's wise to do so. Maybe you can lose 100 lbs in the time frame you'ld like - or maybe it will take a little longer. If you stress too much about the time frame though, it can be really tempting to try unsustainable and even unsafe methods to "catch up." It also becomes easy to see success as failure because it's not at the pace we'd like to see.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #7  

How much do you weigh now ?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1

i JUST WANT TO SAY ThAT i AM ALSO TRYiNG TO LOSE A LiTTLE OVER100+ POUNDS AND YOU LADiES ADViCE TO SiLKMONSTER hAS ALREADY REALLY hELPED ME!! ThANK YOU!!
creolebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
How much do you weigh now ?
240 I'm trying to get to be like 145. I'm 5'7
Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Fruit, yogurt, and cereal probably isn't going to be the best thing for you if that's all that makes up your diet. I highly recommend calorie counting, which lets you see for sure that you're doing everything right and will definitely lose weight. I'm the kind of person who needs the science, because the scale is unpredictable.

Last edited by kelly315; 07-22-2012 at 08:56 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #11  

That seems like a reasonable goal for your height. I also recomend calorie counting as a safe way to lose weight. Since you are so active you could probably lose on 2000 calories a day , that sounds like a lot and would be too much for me, but I am shorter and not as active as you. Try counting calories for 2-3 weeks and see what you can lose, you can always change the amount of calories, experiment a little and see what works.