General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 08:07 AM   #1  
Long Lost Chickie

Default Doing our own thing - September 2003

It's September already!!! Who's got their Christmas shopping done yet? Anyone? Anyone?

Well, OK, then how about we start off the rest of our lives today? Soon Fall will be in the air and we can hide our bodies under wooly sweaters and thick coats. But it's tough to hide from ourselves. Gotta get undressed sometime....

Some of our little group (but EVERYONE is welcome! ) have decided to post our weights daily, right here on the internet for all to see. ..... hmm....

What was I thinking!!?!

Nope, I'm gonna do it!! My "official start(ing over) weight" ...

Now I gotta go work on goals for the month/year/life.....
Old 09-01-2003, 11:41 AM   #2  

Happy Labor Day. I'm off today and so far haven't done a thing. What a waste of a day off. DS and girlfriend spent the night at the hospital got home about two hours when called back to be with her mother, they are going to try and remove the breathing tube and she won't let them until her daughter is there. Dr said she probably had less than a week, so hard on the family.

Sept 1st - 1st day of South Beach Diet and weighing in at 168.2

Hope my book gets here soon. Internet info (If my memory is correct) says to eat at least 2 cups of veggies per meal, does that mean breakfast too? Went to the grocery yesterday and stocked up so no excuses. Someone with the book, pinto and white beans they are okay, right?

You all have a great day.

Faye, I couldn't get your picture to pull up, will try it at work tomorrow. The computer we have at home is terrible, had to pull the old one out when lighting got the new one. No budget to replace yet. Hubby won't let me turn it in on insurance, we had to replace the roof last year because of a storm and he's afraid that they will cancel us.

Going this time. Bye!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:07 PM   #3  

Christmas shopping? thinking about it a little early are we? lol

course I shouldn't talk. our neighbor has his Christmas lights all done up outside already lol
Old 09-02-2003, 07:59 AM   #4  
Long Lost Chickie

Tuesday morning - 184.6.

I was a good girl yesterday. Drank gallons of water. Even ate all my veggies.

Yeah Annex, there's a few folks in our neighborhood who just keep those little lights up all year around. No fun in that.

Semo, doing nothing isn't necessarily a waste of a day off! Oh but your DS, girlfriend and family are in my prayers.

Ah but I've got stuff to do. Rooms are covered in plaster dust (don't ask) and although I've promised not to move heavy furniture, there's plenty of other cleaning to be done. One more week before it's back to the grind. I've savoring the moments.

Talk to you all later!
Old 09-02-2003, 09:26 AM   #5  

Good Moring Ladies and Gent. Wt as of this morning 168 on the nose. Did one hour on the orbiteck yesterday and have 20 mins down this morning. I have to get back into the habit of getting up earlier.

Baked some cookies and took to the hosiptal yesterday. Sent some Butter pecan bars Saturday for the family to have in the ICU waiting room. DH and I went Friday night and I went back yesterday, I got to see her yesterday since there weren't many family members there. Sad to see such a sprited woman so helpless, if all goes well, they hope to take the breathing tube out today. She was showing improvement yesterday, we are still praying for a miracle.

Annex, tell us about yourself, sorry to ask if you have already done so. Did I hear someone say you were 30? My oldest son will be 30 in December........ Can we Mamma You? Most of the guys that work here are my youngest son's age, I try to mother them, but as sons do with their mothers.....they don't listen to a thing I say!

Well, work calleth.......... Have a great Monday, oh I mean Tuesday, feels like Monday doesn't it.

Edited to Say; Faye, I went back to look at your pictures and WOW, you have done a great job!

Last edited by SEMO; 09-02-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:28 AM   #6  
DNW

Sorry I was missing in action everybody. Well I don't have to cut up a cat this semester for school since I had to change to Chemistry at the last minute. Apparently you can't take the Anatomy class until you do the Chemistry...thank God I have the repreive until the spring!!

Also had the MRI for my back and should get the results today. Although the Skelaxtin helped relaxed the muscles in my spine the pain is still there so I am waiting until I hear from my nurse practitioner before I start the exercise tapes again. And I would really like to start them soon.

As for weight....well this year using Fitday.com and becoming a regular member of our thread I lost and kept off 14.5 pounds. Although that is not a lot it is significant for me that I did not gain it back at any time. I know that the encouragement and focus I got from all of you plus recording everything I ate at fitday.com kept me on track. Thanks for al the love and support!! Hopefully I can lose more weight before I start nursing school next September.

Welcome Annex!! You are among a really nice group of people...hope we can help you in your journey for weight issues.

Well I am back at work so I gotta get back to what they pay me for.....
Old 09-02-2003, 11:07 AM   #7  

Hello NEW THREAD! And all of y'all of course.

OK, well this is the official 1st day of the South Beach Diet for me. DH is going on it with me for moral support. He'll be cheating left and right (which is fine) but I'm so stoked about this because regardless he will now KNOW what this effort is. They just think it's so easy, it will do wonders for my willpower to hear him complain. (I know, I know, but?!? ) He doesn't have anything to lose so it's just a game between us - to make the first few days fun.

SEMO - I hate to be the one to say it, but no beans the first two weeks <sorry> but after that they are OK, from what I remember. My offer stands if anyone would like any part of the book scanned while they can't get their hands on it yet.

So I made those quiche-to-go thingies? They're good, but they're small, suggested serving is 2. DH ate two when he woke up, said in 10 minutes he went from starving to OK so he was impressed. However, he did eat 2 more with me while I ate my breakfast.

So I have a question- the book says, if you're hungry, increase your portions... but then the meal plans have pretty specific amounts mentioned... So how does that apply to these quiche cups? They're made in a muffin pan and are literally, like little hockey pucks about 3/4" to perhaps 1" thick. Not that I'm complaining (oh no, not me!) And I have to admit that oddly enough I'm not hungry (although that reminds me it's about time for a snack.) OK, so anyone got any thoughts?

Anyway: Quiche-to-go-Cups recipe, thumbs up on taste, thumb to the side (wavering) on quantity. Easy to make, doesn't take long, store well so can have them on hand... GOOD.

Hugs around - I'm off to read the rest of last month's thread.

P.S. Welcome Annex! so what would happen if I called you Annie? (I'm just playing)

Last edited by Cafe976; 09-02-2003 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:16 AM   #8  

Semo - nooooooo I'm 24 lol

Cafe - Annie? I don't mind. That's actually a nickname of mine
Old 09-02-2003, 11:53 AM   #9  

Hey everyone! Hope you all have a nice holiday weekend. I have been sick the whole time and we had dd, sil and the stinker here yesterday and he of course was a live wire and I felt like you know what!

I got my hour in the pool and so far one routine on the glider and 2 to go.

Tig: I knew the festival would do you in! They have food galore and nothing that won't put fat on the behind! Hope you had a good time though! I miss it.

Semo: Thanks, I have been really working hard to make my personal goal by my birthday, but with me being sick the last few days I certainly haven't done anything to help it. I have to pick up speed big time!

Annex: I remember this couple when we lived in Indiana and they had THE most ghastly Christmas decor. A hodge podge or religious and Santa stuff and it stayed up about 10 months out of the year!

No, haven't done any shopping just planned a trip to Nashville to the Opry outlet mall with dd in November. Should be interesting. We are like sandpaper and glass together. I haven't spent an entire day with her since she was in high school and with good reason. She is to put it bluntly a *****er and I am just the opposite. I get tired of listening to it, ya know? Her poor husband, but he knew what he was getting before he married her so he is stuck! The thing is, I love her to death I just don't LIKE her.

Dh patched my cat's try at redecorating our house, but has had to redo part of it 3 times because the cat keeps tearing it down ! I finally got up there this morning (it is on the ceiling way back in the corner where the fridge is) and put some more patching compound up there and did a pretty fair job. Made me feel good that I could get on a ladder and do it now! Now if the little bugger will stay out of it until it dries and I can sand and paint it we will be alright. Those front claws have got to go but it is going to have to wait for now. We have $1000 worth of electrical work has to be done by the middle of next month to bring the condo up to code again. UGH!

I have 26 more days til D-day! I am just kidding, but can't say I am looking forward to 50. I didn't mind 40 but 50 is bothering me some! Luckily I have a husband who doesn't mind being married to an old woman!

Have a great day group

Faye
Old 09-02-2003, 03:38 PM   #10  

Hi. I posted on the old tread this morning.

Faye, it wasn't so much the food tempting me at the festival as it was my Mother. She bought all kinds of food. Luckily there were four of us and we split everything. So, got to sample lots of stuff without going hog wild. The best...blueberry donuts that melt in your mouth. Dangerous, very dangerous.

Cafe, I haven't been following the portion much. I'm more just using the foods list. Something I like to make..I use a large piece of baby swiss and wrap it around my turkey. Kinda like a rollup with no bread.

loose dog,,,gotta run.....
Old 09-02-2003, 04:21 PM   #11  

Cafe, I didn't eat the pinto beans, but thought they were okay. Glad, I passed on them. This is day two for me.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:37 PM   #12  
I'm back again

Hi all,

Sorry I have been AWOL lately....been busy with the little "addition" to the family, kids involved in school, and just keeping up with life in general.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend.

I've been reading about the South Beach diet....really close to Atkins for the first 2 weeks, I'd say. I'm not really good at low carb diets so I'm still researching to see if I can handle this one....I'll let you know.

I stopped WW a few weeks ago but have continued to lose despite that ... I think it's the abundance of fresh fruits out there at this time of year and I love fall weather.

Sorry to hear about your ds's girlfriend's mother's illness, SEMO. What a life changing experience...I know that every time I am close to someone with such a crisis in their life, it changes my view on my life and makes me grateful for healthy kids and family. They always say we are given only as much as we can bear...must be a strong woman in there. Sounds like you are doing well on the SBD.

DNW: glad to hear everything is coming around with school. Hope that back gets better!

Cafe: That is so cute that your husband is doing the SBD with you! I'm trying to talk a few co-workers into following it...no luck so far. What quiche-thingys are you talking about? I'm sure I missed something so point me in the right direction, if you would....

Annex: Good luck in keeping up with this crew. I have to read for miles just to feel caught up when I go AWOL..... Nice to see another new face on the thread.

Huntress: Where are you hiding, girl? Hope all is okay and you are just enjoying this fall weather down south.

Jello: You are the home improvement girl! I'd be savoring those off days, too.

Tiger: Blueberry donuts? Wow, those sound great! You are doing SBD too, right?

Faye: You don't look a bit like 50 but happy birthday early! You never know when I'll get back here so I better say it now! I've heard the nashville mall is super....great to get some Christmas shopping in I'm sure.

Hello to everyone I missed.

Have a little reprieve from the puppy---her "owner"(my dd) is not working this pm so she and the boyfriend have the dog with them. My family was making fun of me this weekend because I treat the dog like a infant...they never thought I would ever have an inside pet after the hamster got loose.... we had to "fish" it out of the furnace ductwork with a carrot tied to a velour robe tie---took me an hour and several tries before he hung on and finally got hungry enough to come up!!!!

That's all I've got, folks!

Take care all and keep the umbrellas handy...it's gonna be some wet days coming up!!!

Bright
Old 09-03-2003, 07:24 AM   #13  
Long Lost Chickie

Jello at 183.8. See how I post faithfully when the numbers are good. I was a good girl yesterday. Two days in a row!

There's this pizza place near me that has veggie pizza. It's a thin crust, a little tomato sauce, a tiny bit of cheese ... and then piled an inch high with broccoli, spinach, mushrooms and fresh tomatoes. So delicious but expensive! So I thought about a new type of home improvement - food improvement. The only problem I'm having is with the crust. Got some mediterranean flat bread, added tomato sauce (low sodium flavored with Mrs. Dash), fat free shredded mozzarella and then heaped on the veggies, frozen chopped broccoli and spinach from the freezer, fresh tomatoes from the garden.... Another sprinkle of spices and into the toaster oven. Not bad. Needs a little "tweeking".

Brighter, good to see you and congrats on the continued loss. Must be from chasing that little "addition" around all the time.

DNW, how's the weather? It's been raining non-stop for 2 days here. I'm sending it your way 'k?

Faye, I had a friend that I used to get along with like you and DD. When I first left my ex, she suggested she and I get an apartment together. I tried to hide the look on my face. Love her like a sister but we'd have killed each other within a week! Problem was that being with her was just exhausting sometimes. Haven't seen her in a while. Hope she's happier with life these days. Hm.....

Tiger, sounds like you did pretty well at the festival. Blueberry everything! Yum!

Well, I gotta go. Spending part of today covering anything that doesn't move with drop cloths so Rich can sand freshly patched walls when he gets home without getting an inch of plaster dust on everything. Oh it never ends.....
Old 09-03-2003, 07:44 AM   #14  

Good Morning.
196 today. Up half a pound. Must be delayed reaction from the Blueberry food. I'm probably lucky I didn't gain more.

Grocery day. I hate planning meals lately. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a chef to do that stuff for ya...buy the RIGHT foods and prepare them. While I'm dream'n, I'll take a personal trainer too.

Jello, we use drywall dust as a food garnish at my house.

Gotta get the kids ready for school.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:02 AM   #15  

Goodmorning all!

Well this is day 10 for me SBD'ing, and all is going well. Got on the scale this am and am down to 175! I got on and off the scale 3 times cause I didn't believe it lol! So in those first 10 days I have lost 6 pounds. I am happy with that. 15 to go to my first goal, then we'll see.........

About the portion sizes. I asked that same question on one of the forums and was just told to eat till satisfied, that those are just guidelines to make sure you are getting enough veggies, etc.

Those quiche cups are yummy! Just finished my two actually! When I make them I throw a lot of veggies in-then use 1 package of liquid eggs(1 cup) and mix. Put in sprayed muffin tins, and to make them a little larger, fill up the cups with additional liquid egg to the top. I usually end up using 2 or close to it cups of liquid egg. It makes 12- and there is 10 eggs in 2 cups so its not even 2 eggs per serving.

Has anyone tried the riccotas yet? My favorites are the mocha(didn't use the chocolate chips) and vanilla. I use my hand blender, and they come out very smooth.

Hope you all have a great day!

Starting Weight-220
Current Weight-175
Next goal-160
Closed Thread