South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default The Weekend SBD Chat for 7/21 - 7/22

Good morning on this delightfully cool Saturday! It was great to turn off the AC and sleep with the windows open to catch the breezes last night.

I have the usual Saturday routine today, breakfast at the diner and grocery shopping, and spending some time with my parents. I plan to have the dehydrator going all weekend with batches of zucchini and beet chips, and may freeze a bushel of peaches if I can get a good price for them at the market.

So what are your weekend plans?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning, Cottage. Nice and cool here at 50ºF although we are heading into another period of hot and humid starting tomorrow. My calendar says I have nothing on today but I am suspicious. Maybe I'll hide the car behind the barn and ignore the phone, email and door knocking.

Yesterday was very hectic - none of it self-inflicted - and I was very, very tired last night. Beet chips were supposed to be on my agenda as I have some lovely cylindrical beets from the farm. I may get those into the dehydrator before I go out to do my weeding stint - I do not seem to be making progress but will keep on keeping on.

Thanks for the reminder about peaches. I think I may still have some 2011 ones in my freezer which I must use up in smoothies before the new ones get in at a reasonable price. We do have the first ones from Niagara - delicious but too expensive to buy in large quantities.

Off to make a smoothie and then slice beets - using the mandoline WITH the guard so I don't slice a hunk off my hand ... although the blood wouldn't show on beets.

Enjoy your weekend whatever you do.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning It's been such a busy week, I've missed my time on the Beach. Today I'm off to the White Mountains for a hike, picnic, and swim. Then tomorrow is my regular Sunday video store shift. Maybe I'll bring my laptop

Can't remember if I told you that I finally decided to accept the offer(s) from my previous employer? Money was the biggest factor but I'm hoping changes there will make the job easier. The volatile ED is gone and I negotiated for turf that's about 30% smaller, so should be more manageable. Even if it's crazy it's crazy I know and will give me 10 months to save some money and plan next steps. In May I will decided whether to stay or move on.

Hope you all have some fun in your weekends. Looking forward to some time to really catch-up soon!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

Cyndi, sounds like you are glad to have finally made the decision. 30% less "turf" should make the job easier, especially of the crabgrass is gone.

Enjoy your White Mountains day.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning

We've been up getting the car packed. Kirk is going over the hill by himself this morning. A big step. I work then will try to get some rest. I'm starting a painting project soon since the new carpet will be installed, hopefully, Aug 3.

Cyndi, congrats on your decision! Hope your day is fun.

Ruth, I hope your day stays free of obligation!

Linda, enjoy your time with your folks.

Ok, off to the finale...putting Bing in the car. I sure miss that little guy when he goes.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

Good morning.

I work this afternoon. I'm going to spend my day sanitizing door knobs and avoiding my teen who thinks he is getting sick. (He texted me from bed to see if I was up and to ask for a thermometer and water.) He's supposed to babysit my nephews tonight which means if he really IS sick, DH and/or I will be doing it instead.

Scorcher here again. Highs expected over 100, several days breaking records, for a while.

Off to watch the morning news to see what's developed in the shooting story.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Good morning

Ruth or Linda, how do you freeze your peaches? I have never frozen any fruits, but they are absolutely delicious this year and would love to savor some in the fall/winter.

Cyndi, since I am still newish, what is the job you are returning to? hope you enjoy your hike. I have completely fallen off the exercise wagon this month. I am hoping a week away, with lots of outdoor activities planned, will help me recharge.

Karen I made your zucchini pizza recipe. I took your advised and sliced them round. Sampled one and it was awesome! Cannot wait to enjoy them at lunch time. Hope you don't have to go out in the heat today.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

I peel and slice my peaches and then mix them with Fruit Fresh to prevent browning. Then I freeze them in small ziplock bags for my winter smoothies.
To peel, I pour boiling water over them, leave them for about a minute and then run under cold so the skins slip off easily. (You may already know that but, last summer, I saw my dear old friend Shirley struggling to peel them with a potato peeler!)

Hmmm - maybe it's not called fruit fresh. It's a browning preventative. I'll check my jar.

ETA: Yes, it is Fruit Fresh although the Net doesn't know it.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 263/214/157

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy Off Plan

Good morning,

It is a little cooler here and we have received some much needed rain. Now I don't have to water however the rain not only benefited the herbs and flowers it also benefited the weeds. Now I need to get busy weeding instead. Today we are traveling to an art exhibit to see one of my husband's prints hanging in an show. Keeping my fingers crossed he wins something I am not doing well staying on program as I just don't have an appetite in this heat. Only eating a couple meals a day. Craving salt and drinking a lot. Today will be off because of traveling.

See you on the beach!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Cindy I too struggle with staying OP during the heat. When you say drinking a lot, if it's water you should be fine. if you are perspiring a lot your body does lose salt, but be careful as it is very easy to retain water if your sodium intake is high. Traveling doesn't make it easy either, but planning a head helps. I try to keep pistachios in my car (30 fir nicely in a small container) I keep an empty one for the shells. Also most veggies do not require refrigeration if they are not cut up. Or you could pack an insulated cooler bag with healthy options. If it is too difficult to focus on losing right now, just do your best to main what you have lost. Your ticker is very impressive!!!

Thanks Ruth for the info including the peeling. I do not believe I would have used a potatoe peeler, but I would have consulted google lol

Last edited by jekel383; 07-21-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Jennifer, after peeling and slicing my peaches, I freeze them on cookie sheets before bagging them up, that way they stay separated instead of being one big clump. I think Ruth does that step too.

I have my dehydrator loaded with all ten trays filled with beet, carrot and zucchini chips. I'm envisioning a healthy snack mix for when I get the munchies.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #12  
Come on Spring!

Wow, Cottage! You have the ten tray dehydrator. (Rich Americans! ) Mine is a five tray but I guess I could get more. I was going to do beet chips but realized I was wearing a new white top so decided to wait. Let me know how yours turn out. I am going to do some zucchini and carrot chips though as I have "The Girls"** coming for family dinner tomorrow night and we always start with nibbles.

Donna came and cleaned today so I feel all spiffed up. Making a 3-bean salad for dinner - maybe with an omelet.

** The Girls are four of us who are widowed or divorced plus kids and dogs. So many families so Sunday dinner around here that we decided to do our own Delta Family Dinner where we share the cooking. We are usually four women and six kids plus assorted dogs or visitors. There's Joanne, late forties, husband committed suicide over nearly two years ago, Heather. just 40, divorced with two kids and Karen, 40 something, also divorced, with two great teens. We are usually a group of ten and make the kids practice table manners when at my house anyhow. I'm the official Grandma and Dog Whisperer!

The Menu:
An old recipe for oven fried chicken from my mother -
A quinoa Salad - Heather
Corn on the cob - Karen (I suggest green salad but ...)
A fruit dessert of some kind - Joanne

This was one of my better ideas and you might like to try it if you are in a similar situation.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/214/157

Height: 5'2"

Jennifer, I am drinking water or "diet" drinks like lemonade or iced tea with artificial sweetener. Today was black coffee for breakfast, a piece of string cheese and a few gluten free crackers and bottled water as a snack in the car, fresh strawberries and cheese cubes at the reception. (not much gluten free food there) a few more crackers in the car on the way home. When we got home I had 2 all beef hot dogs plain (no bun) and 3 cherry tomatoes. I plan to have a sugar free iced latte with skim milk and that is it. I just need to stop whining and get back on program. Life has been hectic and the AC isn't working ay home. I just need to cope better.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #14  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning It's my Sunday morning video store shift. I'm keeping it for awhile. It's not the money, it's just been fun and I like this shift Also free rentals anytime I want is a nice plus.

Yesterday turned into reminder of how much I've changed. The 4.2 mile easy hike turned into about 12-14 miles I started the day with a good SBD style breakfast for both of us, mixed greens, eggs & chia, topped with cheese and salsa. We had no trouble with low energy though we were so ready for food at the car (tomato, cucumber, fresh mozz salad, greek yogurt singles, and seedy crackers). The best part is I feel great today, no aches! My friend is a recent convert to healthy eating and lifestyle, lost 60 lbs so far and just completed a triathalon. His food choices aren't that great though and I'm helping him figure out a long-term eating plan that works for a single guy (can we say South Beach!). So much fun to have someone who really gets this stuff.

Jennifer - I will be a union organizer again with the AFT, the teacher's union. I like politics so even though the hours will be crazy it's pretty exciting working with them in an election cycle.

Debbie - enjoy your alone time

Ruth & Cottage - good reminder that time is wasting and I need to get that dehydrator up and running! I seem to be behind on everything this year.

Happy Sunday Chicks
Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning

I have been up for awhile doing a little decluttering in the basement before my helper arrives for the Sunday staircase project. I can see I need to break it down to make it a manageable process.

Cyndi, wow what a fantastic hike! It is just amazing to feel so healthy these days!

Jennifer, I buy organic peaches, which for me alleviates the need to peel, since I only use them in smoothies. I defuzz them a bit as I wash them in a pan of water then slice in half, removing the pit, and freeze. When I'm adding them to smoothies I just pull out my half a bit early and pitch it in the Vitamix. When I'm ready it's ready.

Ok, back outside for another coffee. Have a great day everyone!
Closed Thread