Old 07-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #1  
Born to lose!

S/C/G: 160/150/125

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Default Questions about Induction

I have a couple questions. What do you eat on Induction? I have the New Atkins for the New You book and I've read the Induction chapter. There just doesn't seem to be much to choose from.

I have a salad with 1/4 cup onions, 1/4 cup red bell peppers, two cups lettuce and 2 tbs ranch dressing. I choose onions and peppers because they have a high carb count and I want to get my veggies carbs in without having to eat much. I have two of those a day. Or I'll have one salad (which is only 6.55 carbs) and try to eat olives and celery to make up more veggie carbs.

I'm confused. I use iceberg lettuce for my salad. I read that two cups were .4 carbs and I read that they were 3.4 carbs. Which is it, or neither? What leafy greens has the most carbs?

And eggs and sausage/bacon for breakfast. I have hamburger, chicken, and pork chops to go with my salads.

Know of any other tasty things I can try? And their carb count? I just didn't see much on the menu that I'd like. And I tried asparagus; I nearly gagged. I'm just not much of a veggie girl.
jamie26301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #2  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

This is a good recipe site for low carbers. The asterisk beside the recipes indicate that they are Induction friendly:

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

I'll be honest, aside from cabbage and cauliflower, I dont eat a lot of veggies either.

This site gives info on the original Atkins plan:

http://www.controlcarb.com/ccn-lifestyle.htm
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #3  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

There is probably a difference in the lettuce carb counts because on Atkins (post 1972 version) you deduct carbs from fiber since they are indigestible. So, if say hypothetically food A has 14 carbs and 2 are from fiber the total carb count would be 12 g carbs. Does that make sense?

Welcome to the Atkins sub forum!
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #4  
Born to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
There is probably a difference in the lettuce carb counts because on Atkins (post 1972 version) you deduct carbs from fiber since they are indigestible. So, if say hypothetically food A has 14 carbs and 2 are from fiber the total carb count would be 12 g carbs. Does that make sense?

Welcome to the Atkins sub forum!
Yes, thanks, I knew that. Maybe 3.4 is the total carbs, and there's like 2 grams fiber. I have to look into it again.

And thanks for the welcome!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Do you like avocados?

You might also see what other forms of lettuce you like. Iceberg lettuce has very little nutritional value.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #6  
Born to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladynredd View Post
Do you like avocados?

You might also see what other forms of lettuce you like. Iceberg lettuce has very little nutritional value.
I don't like veggies that well. Fruit is my thing. But I found a way to get all my foundation veggies in one salad: Two cups kale, 1/4 cup onions, 1/4 cup red bell peppers, and 1/4 cup button mushrooms. Mix in a little dressing and cheese - not so bad. But I have to be careful, because the last time I ate it, the texture kinda gagged me.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #7  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Maybe try some spring mixed greens... kale has a strong texture. Instead of salad you can eat cooked spinach, broccoli, mame some fresh guacamole and eat with flax crackers, veggie "pizza" made on cauliflower crust....
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #8  
Born to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffNeedsChange View Post
Maybe try some spring mixed greens... kale has a strong texture. Instead of salad you can eat cooked spinach, broccoli, mame some fresh guacamole and eat with flax crackers, veggie "pizza" made on cauliflower crust....
You're telling me! (strong texture) I had some kale today and I literally threw up. And what's mixed greens - I looked at all the salads at the store and I never saw "mixed greens."

Where do I get these flax crackers? I like guacamole.

And where do you get this cauliflower crust?

And are these things Induction worthy? And thanks for the suggestions... salad everyday will get old after a while.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #9  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Just saw that I missed your reply. I know we beat the salad issue with a stick already but for the flax crackers and cauliflower pizza crust you make it from a recipe. When I get to my desktop I will send you the links, and yes they are induction friendly.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote